A word of warning, be very careful on Audiogon (stealing B&W pics)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • btf1980
    • Aug 2007

A word of warning, be very careful on Audiogon (stealing B&W pics)

So I came across this classified on rosenut CM9s for a damn nice price. What do I see? I see that some guy posted his for sale ad with a picture of my setup! I have seen this several times on ebay where people have stolen various pictures that I or others have taken, and listed auctions passing off the goods in the pics as their own. This guy on audiogon has perfect feedback, but nevertheless - it definitely is not kosher to take someone elses picture or setup and pass it off as your own when you are selling something.

Here's the guys classified ad.

A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Funny (or not so funny), I just saw those and recognized the pic! Wondered why you would be selling. This actually happened to me once...had an ad on audiogon with a pic, and someone emailed me and said they saw the same pic on eBay. I wrote to the guy with the eBay ad (slightly threatening tone), and he removed it immediately.

I've had people steal my text description for an item on several occasions. Guess they like my writing...but nothing I can really do about that (maybe I should include a copyright symbol...).
    Brad

Comment

• btf1980
      • Aug 2007

I emailed the guy telling him that it wasn't cool. Waiting on a response.

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

Hi,

I have too in Europa (Ebay) and in other link this "way" see....

But from a pricat from a privat i is not a copyright over the pictures you dont can make nothing... only like Blindamood write to the image of the thief and ask them to remove all pictures ...

I have see a Dealer, yes a Dealer whit in the homepage from the link with pictures from the forum...a cd player, a full setup too!!!

if this people wirte "i sell speaker xy (piece like the pictures but not this one.../ similar.../ or ???

Hey think at the dowload from music...is the same thing!!?!

Style

Comment

• yourtoys7
          • Feb 2006

I've seen my 804S on ebay for sale, so I went ahead and bit on them and won. Then I told the guy that I'll be in the area on business trip and would like local pick with cash in hand. Never heard from him again...
          Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
          PSB T6,
          Velodyne SPL 1000R
          Rotel RSX-1057
          Rotel RB-1070
          OPPO 103
          Apple TV
          [

Comment

• emig5m
            • Aug 2008

This is why I always try to buy locally (big purchases) so I can go see it in person. I just bought a powered sub off Audiogon and I was able to go see it and turn it on and play with it in person. Guy even gave me a 13ft Belkin sub cable brand new in the package for free. :T

However, I've also bought some stuff off ebay as far out as the UK, Taiwan, and Germany shipped to the USA and didn't get scammed and everything arrived as described.

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by emig5m
              However, I've also bought some stuff off ebay as far out as the UK, Taiwan, and Germany shipped to the USA and didn't get scammed and everything arrived as described.
              Yeah, the Europeans are way behind in terms of ebay scam ideas! I've never had a problem... touch wood!
              - Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• btf1980
                • Aug 2007

The seller responded and took down the picture. Posting someone elses setup in your sale thread, and passing it off as your own is dishonest to me. Some people got nerve.

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Good for you!
                  I just looked, no pic in add now.

Did you report the 'incident' to the overseers at Agon?
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Blindamood
                    • Sep 2003

I always wonder why people post ads with no pics, or manufacturer pics only. There's no way I'm going to buy something unless I can see the actual item, even if it's a sealed box (to show NIB). I also figure if they can't take the time/effort to take some decent pics, then they don't deserve my business.
                    Brad

Comment

• btf1980
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by wkhanna
                      Good for you!
                      I just looked, no pic in add now.

Did you report the 'incident' to the overseers at Agon?
                      I emailed the seller. Wanted to give him a chance to explain himself and take the pic down.

Comment

• emig5m
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Blindamood
                        I always wonder why people post ads with no pics, or manufacturer pics only. There's no way I'm going to buy something unless I can see the actual item, even if it's a sealed box (to show NIB). I also figure if they can't take the time/effort to take some decent pics, then they don't deserve my business.
                        Yup, exactly.

Comment

• gross30
                          • Jun 2005

What a clown. Anything big for purchases, I always try to get it close to see the actual items. Sometimes it does not work that way.

Comment

• audioqueso
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

Some people, right. That's why I always ask for additional pictures (make up some weird request like wanting to see the terminal connections). If I get the "oh, my camera is not working right now" yet the post was placed 1 day ago, it's fake.
                            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• BassThatHz
                              • Jul 2006

I always ask for images with the pair in one frame, and also have them write down their account name on a sheet of paper that they photo with the items.

Yeah... I also had someone steal the item description I wrote up for my subwoofer on ebay.

With the abundance of camera enabled devices and such these days, there is no reason not to take pictures.

I've been lucky though, all my online purchases have been 100% good so far.

Comment

• BassThatHz
                                • Jul 2006

This yours?

Comment

• mvdveek
                                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by BassThatHz
                                  The picture looks familiar yes. Also taken from our picture thread.

Comment

• Opus007
                                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by BassThatHz
                                    I sent this seller a question asking why he was using this photo as it is from a member of a forum and since I am feeling frisky tonight I told him I was reporting him to ebay.Within 5 minuets he emailed me and said..."Sorry will take it off"
                                    I have way to much time on my hands. opcorn:

Comment

• Ken49r
                                      • Dec 2007

If you get the seller to email the photos to you and using "properties" you get all the original information imbedded in the file. When the photo was taken, the make, model of camera, etc....etc...

Comment

• bnieman
                                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Ken49r
                                        If you get the seller to email the photos to you and using "properties" you get all the original information imbedded in the file. When the photo was taken, the make, model of camera, etc....etc...
                                        Not foolproof though... I take my auction photos with a DSLR camera but then I bring them into Photoshop to crop and "Save for web" to reduce the file size.
                                        Not to mention you can also embed whatever properties you want...

It's a shame we even need to worry about scams like these. :x
                                        Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                          • May 2004

I guess you can take as a form of flattery. Anytime I buy something over $100 on internet forums, classifieds, or auctions, I always ask them to post a pic with their user id in the same picture on a piece of paper, to proof that the item is in their possession. I also try to meet up with the seller in person to do the exchange also.

Comment

• Opus007
                                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by BlazeMaster
                                            I guess you can take as a form of flattery. Anytime I buy something over $100 on internet forums, classifieds, or auctions, I always ask them to post a pic with their user id in the same picture on a piece of paper, to proof that the item is in their possession. I also try to meet up with the seller in person to do the exchange also.
                                            When I sell on Audiogon I always state local pickup preferred and always provide photos.Once a buyer has emailed me that they are interested I send them my phone number so we can talk.If I buy from ebay or audiogon I always look for items that are near me unless it is something I really want.Sometimes I loose out on supposedly good deals but there is always another deal around the corner.
                                            As a after note after sending a email to the seller of CM's he did remove the photo.Also he ended the sale .He also had around 20,000 dollars of various speakers for sale.I would not say that he was a scammer as he had 99% positive feed back for about 80 sales.Most of those sales where for computer parts and low dollar items.Always pays to be careful.

Comment

• KODG MAN
                                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by btf1980
                                              So I came across this classified on rosenut CM9s for a damn nice price. What do I see? I see that some guy posted his for sale ad with a picture of my setup! I have seen this several times on ebay where people have stolen various pictures that I or others have taken, and listed auctions passing off the goods in the pics as their own. This guy on audiogon has perfect feedback, but nevertheless - it definitely is not kosher to take someone elses picture or setup and pass it off as your own when you are selling something.

Here's the guys classified ad.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ull&1251789754
                                              I HAD SOMEBODY STEAL PICS OF A VW PASSAT WOLFSBURG EDITION & THEY WERE USING IT TO SELL MY CAR (AFTER IT HAD SOLD) I ACTUALLY GOT A CALL FROM THE FBI ASKING ME ABOUT THE CAR/PICTURES, ECT. FREAKEN CROOKS!

KODG

Comment

• Alaric
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by KODG MAN
                                                I HAD SOMEBODY STEAL PICS OF A VW PASSAT WOLFSBURG EDITION & THEY WERE USING IT TO SELL MY CAR (AFTER IT HAD SOLD) I ACTUALLY GOT A CALL FROM THE FBI ASKING ME ABOUT THE CAR/PICTURES, ECT. FREAKEN CROOKS!

KODG

I think your caps lock button is stuck.
                                                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                Schiit Modi 3
                                                Marantz CD5005
                                                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"