X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • len73
    • Jan 2005

CM9 vs 804s

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if anyone here has got the opportunity to test side by side the brand new CM9 vs 804s.

A german magazine was quite amazed by the CM9 and is considering the speaker to be very (very) close to the 804s.

Thanks for your comments and feed-back !

Len
  • Marco Lisi
    • May 2008

Hi Len

I listened to both speakers on the same system. I was very exited to get to know the CM9.

What can I tell you. Don't believe everything the magazines write.

The CM9 turned out to be a wonderfull speaker. One should still respect the different ranges in the B&W line-up. It would not make sence if the CM9 would outperform the 804S. And it doesn't.

Listening to both speakers pointed out following differences...

The soundstage of the 804S expands over the speakers height, due to the free standing tweeter on top. With the CM9 it doesn't raise above the speakers.

Low frequencies are slower, a little "fatter" in comparison to the 804S's punchy and dynamic bass. Both speakers present defined and layered bass notes.

Voices sound more relaxed and have more "air" with the 804S than with the CM9.

One last point of comparison: the 804 performes more dynamic, the CM9 presents the same material a little more compressed.

Conclusion: killer looks, killer sound for the buck makes the CM9 a really fine new speaker from B&W!
    Diamond Room
    Acoustical treated room with reference 7.3 av system

Comment

• len73
      • Jan 2005

Thank you for you comment Marco ! Really appreciated !

I know about magazine and reviews...But sometimes it is funny to compare how they judge products from same manufacturers and in this case the CM9 was really appreciated (what is not always the case, for instance the CM1...)

It would make sense for B&W to be sure to maintain some differences between its range.

By the way, what electronics did you used ?

Comment

• Marco Lisi
        • May 2008

Hello Len

I listened to the speakers over the best Classé integrated amp, along with the top level Marantz player from the previous generation. Not bad at all

I have one more comment for you: the line between high end and mid level range lies between the CM9 and the 804S. With the CM9 you can combine a beautifull setup at the top of the midrange level. High end music reproduction starts with the 800 series...with the 804S in this case.

Kind regards :T
        Diamond Room
        Acoustical treated room with reference 7.3 av system

Comment

• altanpsx
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Marco Lisi
          Hi Len

I listened to both speakers on the same system. I was very exited to get to know the CM9.

What can I tell you. Don't believe everything the magazines write.

The CM9 turned out to be a wonderfull speaker. One should still respect the different ranges in the B&W line-up. It would not make sence if the CM9 would outperform the 804S. And it doesn't.

Listening to both speakers pointed out following differences...

The soundstage of the 804S expands over the speakers height, due to the free standing tweeter on top. With the CM9 it doesn't raise above the speakers.

Low frequencies are slower, a little "fatter" in comparison to the 804S's punchy and dynamic bass. Both speakers present defined and layered bass notes.

Voices sound more relaxed and have more "air" with the 804S than with the CM9.

One last point of comparison: the 804 performes more dynamic, the CM9 presents the same material a little more compressed.

Conclusion: killer looks, killer sound for the buck makes the CM9 a really fine new speaker from B&W!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"