CCM818/817 instead of 805S for surrounds?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HedgeHog
    • Dec 2008

CCM818/817 instead of 805S for surrounds?

Hi folks,

While I'm planning the order, it occurred to me that maybe I should consider nice in-ceiling speakers to fulfill the rear surround duties. My space is not that huge and the location for the rears isn't so ideal to have a bookshelf speaker on a stand.

Anyone with any experience/comments regarding the compatibility in sound of a set of CCM818/817 to go with 802D/HTM2D as fronts?

TIA. Cheers.

-Hedwig
    Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
    Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
    B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
    Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
    Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Hedwig,

I can't comment on the in ceiling speakers. Generally, the big issue is the securing of the in wall speaker. I believe that B&W has good install kits/boxes for their in walls. My overall concern is system integration. I also have 802D's and an HTM2D up front. I just upgraded to 804S's for the rears. The system integration is wonderful. I realize that 805S's may not be ideal, but they would be a sonic match with the fronts. You can experiment with toeing them in and adjusting the SPL's. I had much the same issue years ago. It ended up working quite well with bookshelf rears.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by htsteve; 27 January 2009, 09:38 Tuesday.

Comment

• ninja12
      • Mar 2007

I have CCM817 for my surrounds, and I enjoy them very much. I was very skeptical at first abou them. But, I have a very strangely shaped room and in order to get my surrounds closer to my listening positions, I had to go with in ceiling speakers. I have B&W 803S and HTM3S for my fronts and center. When the sound pans, the CCM817 blends very nicely with my mains and center. I really can't tell exactly where the sound is coming from. I just hear it which is a very good thing. I hope this helped. Good luck.

Comment

• HedgeHog
        • Dec 2008

htsteve: thx for the comments. I still may pursue the 805S route but as I originally mentioned, the placement of them will not be as ideal as I had hoped. So what I was trying to gauge was whether the ceiling mounts would be a close 2nd.

ninja12: that's sound great (no pun intended ). Couple of question...Did you compare the 817 to the 818 prior to deciding and did you have to get a mounting plate or is the ceiling gyproc strong enough? Thx again.
        Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
        Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
        B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
        Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
        Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• ninja12
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HedgeHog
          htsteve: thx for the comments. I still may pursue the 805S route but as I originally mentioned, the placement of them will not be as ideal as I had hoped. So what I was trying to gauge was whether the ceiling mounts would be a close 2nd.

ninja12: that's sound great (no pun intended ). Couple of question...Did you compare the 817 to the 818 prior to deciding and did you have to get a mounting plate or is the ceiling gyproc strong enough? Thx again.
          No, I didn't compare the 817 to the 818 prior to my purchase. Actually, I has the CWM DS8. On the day I was doing the install, I discovered a beam running behind my wall where I was going to mount the speaker. Unfortunately, since my room is so oddly shaped, that was the only place I could properly put the DS8. Anyway, I like the fact that the 817 doesn't fire the sound directly down to the floor. Instead, it throws it out into the listening area. I didn't have to do anything extra when I mounting them into my ceiling. My ceiling is sheetrock connected to studs.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"