X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2channellover
    • Jan 2009

M804 center channel match?

New member and my 1st post in this folder.

As my user name suggests I'm mostly a 2-channel music fan, and have a pair of matrix 804 speakers that I've owned for many years. I'm finally giving thought to setting up an HT system and ideally would like to use these as fronts.

I've been to my local B & W dealer and of course the 800 series line is entirely different now. What center channel would you suggest? (room is roughly 18'w x 14'd - to listener/viewer room, is not fully enclosed) FWIW the dealer suggested the HTM4S.

Second question - because a good tonal match is probably not feasible due to the age of my speakers, if I were to start over, what line makes the most sense for a budget of roughly $2.5k to $3.5k with a room that size.

Thanks for your insight.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

2channellover,

The HTM4S is the center channel that came to mind as I read your post.
    As for going with a new system with that budget, I would say the 600 series would fit the bill. The 600 series had alot of performance for the money.

Another thought would be to move the M804's to the rear and get three new fronts plus a sub in that price range. That would improve the 2 channel and HT. The 700 series is the next step up. B&W is phasing that series out, so you can get very nice deals on them (if you can find any). The other option than the 700 series might be the CM series.

Best thing to do is demo these with familiar CD or sources.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• 2channellover
      • Jan 2009

Thanks.

This room (family room) is primarily used by my wife for watching movies thus my reason for HT. She's likes music, and would appreciate HT, but she's not "into" it as much as me. She would be fine with a mass produced system. But...this system will be the only one we have until I finish the basement, so I hate to just put anything there.

I've heard the N805 and w/ a sub they sound better than my M804. I'll go listen to the 700 series, but since I have a sub, I'm thinking about getting the HTM4S, and CCM50 (I pre-wired the house for ceiling surrounds) and be done with this system.

I intend to put a more serious large projection HD/HT system in the basement next year. As you mentioned, I could bring the M804s down to the basement space as rears and put a pair of N805 in the family room which would be a better tonal match with the HTM4S anyway.

After being out of the market for a while, things have changed, but B & W still offers good value for the money IMO.

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I like your plan. I think the HTM4 plus the in walls will definitely get you going in the right direction.

I also built a full HT over time, and last spring built a dedicated HT room in my basement. Well planned out dedicated spaces make a really big improvement in the whole experience.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"