X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atchudy
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by joetama
    Interesting thread... I think I've seen something similar to it before.

My input would be that I personally prefer the 703 to the 600 and the 804S. My dad has the 804S and they sound amazing, but I just prefer the sound of the 703. One reasons is I don't really hear $1,000 worth of improvement in the 804S. My honest suggestion to you is to listen to whatever you can afford and pick what sounds best to your own ears. You're going to be the one that listens to them not us.

Also, the 703 & 804S do like power headroom. I've run 50 Watts to 400 Watts @ 8 Ohms on my 703 & 804S and they sound much tighter, cleaner, and have worlds more dynamic range with the higher wattage. I wouldn't suggest anything less than 150 Watts @ 8 Ohms. You also need to make sure the amplifier can drive the current to support the low impedance swings of the B&W speakers. My 703 low point is 3.1 ohms @ 115 Hz IIRC.

Anyway, I would defiantly give the CM a listen if you can, but let your ears do the purchasing. I'll always be a fan of the 700 Series, but I am a bit biased just like a good majority of the responses, even if they won't admit it.
    How would you fit in the N803?

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ray5
      Thanks a lot guys. After a lot of thought I am considering the following:
      1pr of 703 front speakers
      1 HTM7 center ,
      2prs of 705s with stands
      and the ASW700 sub . Integra DTR 7.9 or 8.9 receiver or Rotel 1560
      However some people thought that it is not powerful enough to drive the 703's and thus am thinking of the Emotiva XPA3 for the fronts. What do you guys feel? Or should I go for a XPA 5 and a XPA2 for all around amplification. I personally feel that that maybe an overkill but please let me know what you feel. Thanks.
      XP3 will be fine for the fronts. And since the receivers aren't pushing the front channels, it will have plenty of power for the back surrounds. Course an XPA5 & 2 will definitely have no problems driving them.

It just all depends on what you want to spend and how much you want to get out of it. I'd say starting with a XPA 3 or 2 would be your best bet. Because even with the XPA2 driving the L/R channels, that's a big load off the receiver itself.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Antus
        • Apr 2008

most of today's movie are in 5.1, even majority of latest blue ray dvd are in 5.1 channel. Unless you must have 7.1 setup, i always feel 5.1 is better. (less processing is always preferable)

If you are considering an external amp from the beginning, why not get Rotel 1570 pre/pro and a 5 channel amp. It would be a cleaner setup. no need to mix different manufactures and potentially more consistent sound. (different amp may have different sound, different gain)

when i design my system, i will construct something a little over my budget at first, and see where i can cut corners and also create a upgrade path. For a $10K system, this is what i might do.
        Front: 804s, Center, HTM-4, Surround: 805S, Pre/Pro, Rotel 1570, Amp: Rotel 1575, Sub: 825. and of course, that's over $10K, i will cut down the component in the order of importance to overall sound quality. In this case, the surround speakers will be the first that get cut down. downgrade to 705 will save $1500, go with CM1 can save additional $300, go with 685 can save $400 more. If i choose 685 to replace 805, the system will be very close to the targeted $10K and the system will not compromise too much.

Comment

• ray5
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Briz vegas
          Alot of people on this forum like the 800 series because they are obsessive types who have to own the best.

I get the feeling alot of other folks don't post because they feel they are not in the 800 club, but that is just my hunch. In my book anyone who owns or is planning to purchase B&Ws is already in a pretty rare group of people prepared to spend a bit of cash on audio quality.

I only suggested 805 as I felt it would provide the highest quality within your budget and you would be able to get great results without having to go with high current, and typically more expensive separates (preamp/processor and power amp).

A receiver is a pre-amp, surround sound processor, power amp (with 5 or more channels of amplification) plus a radio all in one box. The digital signal from the DVD player goes to the surround processor section first to be converted to an analogue signal, it then goes through a preamp that boosts that signal a little bit (this is where your volume knob is attached so the amount of amplification is varied while the signal is still still relatively weak). After that the signal goes to the power amp stage which does the dumb muscle work and boosts the signal to a level suitable for your speakers.

Most receivers have the capacity to bypass some or all of the power amplifier channels so that you can run a separate power amp or amps. Power amps come in 1(monoblock), 2, 3, 5 and 7 or more channel versions. One channel per speaker.

If you google you will find many better explanations that the one above.
          Thanks. Can you have 805's all aorund i.e fronts ,sides and rears? And still enjoy full sound? Of course I'll pick a ctr. channel. I always thought(probably mistakenly) that floorstanders are better than bookshelves. What do you think?

Comment

• ray5
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Antus
            most of today's movie are in 5.1, even majority of latest blue ray dvd are in 5.1 channel. Unless you must have 7.1 setup, i always feel 5.1 is better. (less processing is always preferable)

If you are considering an external amp from the beginning, why not get Rotel 1570 pre/pro and a 5 channel amp. It would be a cleaner setup. no need to mix different manufactures and potentially more consistent sound. (different amp may have different sound, different gain)

when i design my system, i will construct something a little over my budget at first, and see where i can cut corners and also create a upgrade path. For a $10K system, this is what i might do.
            Front: 804s, Center, HTM-4, Surround: 805S, Pre/Pro, Rotel 1570, Amp: Rotel 1575, Sub: 825. and of course, that's over $10K, i will cut down the component in the order of importance to overall sound quality. In this case, the surround speakers will be the first that get cut down. downgrade to 705 will save $1500, go with CM1 can save additional $300, go with 685 can save $400 more. If i choose 685 to replace 805, the system will be very close to the targeted $10K and the system will not compromise too much.
            That's a great way of looking at things. If I go with the Rotel 1570 and 1575 as you mentioned and go for the 5.1 config. and later want to add two extra channels how would I amp them? Will I have to get another amp? Versus is I use a 7.1 receiver and the 1575 then at least when I add the 2 extra channels I don't have to worry as they will be powered by the receiver. Is that a dumb question to ask(the 1570 does not have any amplification powers does it?) Though it is 7.1 channel pre-pro? Please shed some light on this soul?!

Comment

• Antus
              • Apr 2008

That's a great way of looking at things. If I go with the Rotel 1570 and 1575 as you mentioned and go for the 5.1 config. and later want to add two extra channels how would I amp them? Will I have to get another amp? Versus is I use a 7.1 receiver and the 1575 then at least when I add the 2 extra channels I don't have to worry as they will be powered by the receiver. Is that a dumb question to ask(the 1570 does not have any amplification powers does it?) Though it is 7.1 channel pre-pro? Please shed some light on this soul?!
              If you are planning to go 7.1 channel, a more cost effective way maybe get a receiver plus 2 channel (250x2) for front speakers. OR, 1570 pre/pro, then 1565 (100x5 for center and 4 surround) plus a 250x2 for front speakers.

b&w tower speaker need at least 150W to 200W to perform it's best. If you are going to get 703 or 804, a external amp with more power is necessary.

less processing is always better. believe it or not, the best sound i heard was done using a dvd/cd player, analog out to an analog pre amp, to an amp. NO bass management, no room correction, no extra post processing.

That's also the reason i keep saying 5.1 is better than 7.1 because most of today's dvd/BlueRay are recorded in 5.1 channel. If you have a large room, u can consider a bigger rear channel instead of 2 extra speakers. Quality is more important than quantity.

how are you going to use the system? for music, u need the best front speakers you can afford. for movie, u need a good sub woofer.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Thanks. Can you have 805's all aorund i.e fronts ,sides and rears? And still enjoy full sound? Of course I'll pick a ctr. channel. I always thought(probably mistakenly) that floorstanders are better than bookshelves. What do you think?
                805s is not like a satellite speaker in one of those theatre in a box systems. It has been designed as a stand alone speaker with modest but high quality bass performance, For movies you simply add a good quality subwoofer. With 5 speakers plus sub you already are moving a fair amount of air. If you want more then there is always the option of 2 subs or buy a real room shaker if that is your personal perference. I went for towers as my first preference is 2 channel with no subs - KISS as they say.
                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• joetama
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by atchudy
                  How would you fit in the N803?
                  I've never really had much experience with the N803. So, it is pretty hard for me to classify it.

Sorry...
                  -Joe

Comment

• ray5
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Antus
                    If you are planning to go 7.1 channel, a more cost effective way maybe get a receiver plus 2 channel (250x2) for front speakers. OR, 1570 pre/pro, then 1565 (100x5 for center and 4 surround) plus a 250x2 for front speakers.

b&w tower speaker need at least 150W to 200W to perform it's best. If you are going to get 703 or 804, a external amp with more power is necessary.

less processing is always better. believe it or not, the best sound i heard was done using a dvd/cd player, analog out to an analog pre amp, to an amp. NO bass management, no room correction, no extra post processing.

That's also the reason i keep saying 5.1 is better than 7.1 because most of today's dvd/BlueRay are recorded in 5.1 channel. If you have a large room, u can consider a bigger rear channel instead of 2 extra speakers. Quality is more important than quantity.

how are you going to use the system? for music, u need the best front speakers you can afford. for movie, u need a good sub woofer.

I have been going back and forth with the speakers and amps. I started with going to the 600 series and Integra receiver to 700 series and integra receiver and maybe a Emotiva amp. But read somewhere that when you mix components from different companies that may color the sound differently. Is that true? Also, as indeed the front channels are the most imp. and I sell my left arm to get them would adding non 800 series rears be sonically a problem? What about the looks, will it look incongruous? My usage is 80 % HT and 20% music. Also my room is 24ft x 21x 13ft, so have to move a lot of air. Then I considered Rotel 1560 and was suggested to go with separates but just cannot afford to put down so much for a Rotel pre-pro and amps. Suggestions......

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"