X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

How loud do you play your B&Ws

I noticed on the equipement thread that some people were saying they have to play their B&Ws loud for them to sound good (to be complete I should say that more powerful amps seemed to resolve this). Is the volume performance relationship a characteristic of B&W in your experience?

All things being equal, do you need to play your B&Ws at a room filling volume or do they still work magic at lower levels?

I was playing "Come in Spinner" featuring Grace Knight/Vince Jones. Sure it sounded fine at lower levels but it did not hit the spot until I turned the system up pretty loud. It was then that I got the feeling of the system evaporating and the music was just there in the room.

I think systems and even albums and tracks have volume levels where they work best, but overall are lower volumes a bit of a let down with B&Ws in your experience?
    Attached Files
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

when comparing B&W 705's against similar competition, such as JM Focal, and Orpheus, I found the B&Ws needed to be turned up for them to come to life, but come to life they did. In my opinion the B&W 705 sounded nicer than the other brands some of which were floorstanders (Orpheus) some bookshelves (JM Focal) and some of these were a little cheaper than the 705's.

They all sounded good in their own way, but the B&Ws did not sound their best until they got some good volume (or watts) and then they were best.

How loud did I need to get them ?

Not deafening, but not moderate volume either.

The B&Ws could present problems if you listen at night with kids sleeping or sensitive neighbours. But like everything it is a compromise.

Pete

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

B&W's follow the natural contour of the equal loudness curves of human hearing. Given that they are generally considered to be polite producers of bass, some may see the situation exacerbated. To compensate for the perceived flattening of the soundscape at lower levels and open up the speakers, higher volumes are called for but they needn't be excessive or deafening. I find about 74dB more than adequate for the purposes of creating bloom in the room but others may see there mileage vary differently.

Speakers that are likely to be bass heavy or recessed in the presence region maybe more readily observed as having flatter frequency response at low levels. Hence, people may sense greater aural gratification at lower volumes than they would the B&W's at the same settings. Though, such tradeoffs may introduce new problems at the opposite end of the dial.

B&W speakers are doing what should be expected as they minimize the injection of color into the frequencies being reproduced. But in so doing they may appear light weight when lower volumes are exercised. By critically listening one can still observe the full bandwidth of audio frequencies produced by B&W speakers at lower levels but it takes a proportionately higher amount of concentration and an exemplary room to realize it.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
        • Jun 2006

It depends on the source material and what I am doing.

Low if I am working. high 60's 67 to 70 db if I am just reading. Usually maybe mid 70's.

It also depends on the source material. Folksy James Taylor music in the 70's. Nice bassy Jazz and sax likes it a little louder.

I had it "turned up" yesterday and my wife thought that it was really loud. I may have been high 80's. I was listening to NIN.

I find that I listen to my 800's lower than other speakers. When I put my older B&W's in I feel the need to turn it up to "hear" it. What I actually am doing is turning it up to hear the details. The 800's put the details out there much more so I don't listen as loud.

EDIT - All numbers here are measured with a decible meter, not from my preamp.
        Last edited by DM3000 Owner; 28 August 2008, 14:48 Thursday.

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
          I noticed on the equipement thread that some people were saying they have to play their B&Ws loud for them to sound good (to be complete I should say that more powerful amps seemed to resolve this). Is the volume performance relationship a characteristic of B&W in your experience?

In my experience 5 802 (three 802D and two 802N), it depends on the kind of music I am listening at as well as the time of the day. In addition quality of the recording has a big impact on the quality of the music, I know it goes with out saying but B&Ws don't color the music so if you feed them crap they will deliver just that!

In regards to volume levels, during the day with rock, and background music lower level work fine, the volume level is at 40 max. If I want to do critical listening and want to listen to an symphony on SACD DSD, I will crank-up the volume a bit higher around 45 -50 on the volume knob.

At night, when all is quiet no machines are on and all lights are off, and we are listening to jazz or soft classical music the volume will be between 35 - 40. Now if we are watching an action movie, the volume get cranked up to 50 or so to get in the middle of it :B

All things being equal, do you need to play your B&Ws at a room filling volume or do they still work magic at lower levels
          Yes they do, I can put the volume nob at 35 and still carry on a conversation and the music sounds good.

I think systems and even albums and tracks have volume levels where they work best, but overall are lower volumes a bit of a let down with B&Ws in your experience?
          I find that the B&W do well at all volume, it all depends on the amount of background noise, quality of recording as well as amplification.

My 2c worth:T
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wgriel
            • May 2006

I think it does depend somewhat on source material, but I admit that my 703s really come alive at moderate volume levels (low to mid 70 dB). What I love is that they continue to sound smooth at louder volumes, though I rarely listen higher than about 80 dB.

It's not that they are bad at low volumes, but they just convey a dynamic realism when the volume is up a notch.

Comment

• Ash
              • Dec 2004

I think Rebelman's explanation is a good one.

I feel that I have to push the 805s a little loud in order to get that magical sound. This does not mean that they don't sound amazing when they are on lowish volumes, however, putting up the volume gets the sparkle in there.

Whenever I have a listening session it has to be loudish, so I guess they need to be pushed a little bit to sound their best.

Comment

• Relentless
                • Jul 2007

In a quiet room I find the 800's to sound great at low volumes. I listen a lot at night because that is when I have the place to my self. Everyone is sleeping so I have to listen at moderate levels, which is not ideal for listening but it is very quiet at night and you can hear every ounce of detail. On the other hand I am listening to a lot of female vocals and acoustic stuff at night so the post about the listening material mattering can be right.

but to answer your question......I like to listen around 75-80db.
                I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                Lou

Comment

• ShadowZA
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

I mostly prefer to enjoy my critical (redbook CD) listening sessions in the evening with the lights turned off. Sound levels are moderate (haven't measured - probably around 70-75dB) and don't need to be too loud. I prefer smooth jazz, especially female vocal. It's the detail that I enjoy & this shines through thanks to some great recordings. Occasionaly though, I'll turn up the volume & envelope myself in a cascading wave of sound ... just because it feels great to take this baby out on the open road and let her roar. :P

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                    I mostly prefer to enjoy my critical (redbook CD) listening sessions in the evening with the lights turned off. Sound levels are moderate (haven't measured - probably around 70-75dB) and don't need to be too loud. I prefer smooth jazz, especially female vocal. It's the detail that I enjoy & this shines through thanks to some great recordings.
                    Yes, detail is the keyword. The B&W 800D series have the best detail of any speakers I have heard, the diamond tweeter make all the difference!
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• NMG
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by RebelMan
                      B&W speakers are doing what should be expected as they minimize the injection of color into the frequencies being reproduced. But in so doing they may appear light weight when lower volumes are exercised. By critically listening one can still observe the full bandwidth of audio frequencies produced by B&W speakers at lower levels but it takes a proportionately higher amount of concentration and an exemplary room to realize it.
                      I very much agree with this. I'm not sure I notice much difference in audio quality with my 703's between low and high volume settings, however, I do tend to get more energized and "involved" in the music when listening loud. I don't think that state of mind is necessarily a reflection of the audio quality.

Comment

• Gump
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                        Hence, people may sense greater aural gratification at lower volumes than they would the B&W's at the same settings.

B&W speakers are doing what should be expected as they minimize the injection of color into the frequencies being reproduced. But in so doing they may appear light weight when lower volumes are exercised.

My REL sub takes care of this issue for me quite nicely..... :T

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Gump
                          My REL sub takes care of this issue for me quite nicely..... :T
                          Yes JL Audio does a great job to complement the B&Ws and with 2500W amps in the sub that is more than enough for me be it soft or loud it still sounds great

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

Hy,

I dont no but this sub with a 800D or so like that will be COOL

what for a Sub!!! A ticket to listen.....

Omar

Comment

• PewterTA
                              • Nov 2004

While I don't have the 800 series speakers, I hope my comment still counts, since I am stuck with my modified 604s...

I normally turn the volume knob up to "11."

:rofl:
                              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                              -Dan

Comment

• beden1
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by style
                                Hy,

I dont no but this sub with a 800D or so like that will be COOL

what for a Sub!!! A ticket to listen.....

Omar
                                You'd need about seven 800D's or Nautilus Snails, each with their own dedicated power just to keep up with that sub. :T

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                                  You'd need about seven 800D's or Nautilus Snails, each with their own dedicated power just to keep up with that sub. :T
                                  Talk about extreme

Comment

• beden1
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                                    Kind of a letdown on the way they are displaying the electronics. I definitely want rusted springs under my tuirntable! :blink:

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"