• May 2005

800D's HTM1D & MC1201's

Thought I would start a new thread...

Everything has arrived

Attached Files
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Those MC1201's are some awesome looking amps. I love the way your system is setup, just like it is. Like I said before, it would be a shame to change this massive display of power, to fit in another MC1201.

So, have you heard any difference in their performance over the MC501's?

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Its funny. I almost asked for your thoughts.. but then I thought to my own situation (new Classe SSP-800 owner) and that it is difficult to give much of a review at this time, so I just wanted to wish you well on the current state of your system and that we all anxiously await your thoughts.

now, lets see.. what is left to upgrade? My dealer just got a 103" plasma. I think your TV is looking kinda small these days MadDawg! or there is always the option of 2 subs. Have you considered it? I upgraded to 2 subs and I can tell you the difference was tremendous in removing localization and rounding out balance in the system. :T
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• misterdoggy
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by beden1
        Those MC1201's are some awesome looking amps. I love the way your system is setup, just like it is. Like I said before, it would be a shame to change this massive display of power, to fit in another MC1201.

So, have you heard any difference in their performance over the MC501's?
        Answer is yes, but I need more listening time to post honestly.

Comment

• Pedro
          • Jan 2006

Congratulations, ;x( ;x( ;x(

How much bass are you getting comparing your old 802D, are they absolutely rockin a lot???

My 801D´s are on the way...

Comment

• misterdoggy
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Originally posted by Pedro
            Congratulations, ;x( ;x( ;x(

How much bass are you getting comparing your old 802D, are they absolutely rockin a lot???

My 801D´s are on the way...
            will post when I have more info

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by misterdoggy
              Thought I would start a new thread...

Everything has arrived
              Very nice equipment,:T too bad speakers are so close to the wall and that you have glass posters in the back wall. You must get a lot of reflection!

If you want to truly appreciate your system you should consider looking at proper speaker placement and room acoustics. It makes me sad to see that with such fine equipment you are loosing a lot by not following some simple acoustics rules. :cry:
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• misterdoggy
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Well first impression is that the 1201's are not as warm and deep as the 501's with the 800D's.

I'm trying to see if there is something in the setup or room correction that is wrong.

The 1201's are pretty new so they may need breaking in to become as warm as the 501's which had a lot of use.

For the moment, I'm not sure whether I have taken a step forward. I am a bit disappointed

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

Well first impression is that the 1201's are not as warm and deep as the 501's with the 800D's.

I'm trying to see if there is something in the setup or room correction that is wrong.

The 1201's are pretty new so they may need breaking in to become as warm as the 501's which had a lot of use.

For the moment, I'm not sure whether I have taken a step forward. I am a bit disappointed
                  Give it time. Usually I go back and forth on new stuff, and sometimes get buyers remorse. Then when I least expect it, I hear something new from something old that makes me excited about the new toy.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

I've been using the 4 ohm terminals and will try it on 8 ohm to see if that changes anything

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Well first impression is that the 1201's are not as warm and deep as the 501's with the 800D's. For the moment, I'm not sure whether I have taken a step forward. I am a bit disappointed
                      I completely understand, upgrading and paying more doesn't mean you get better all the time unfortunately! High audio is a dream when it come to reproduce symphonies or real instruments. When I play the piano, a Steinway, and compare the same piece on my audio system it is still far away.
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Relentless
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by wettou
                        I completely understand, upgrading and paying more doesn't mean you get better all the time unfortunately! High audio is a dream when it come to reproduce symphonies or real instruments. When I play the piano, a Steinway, and compare the same piece on my audio system it is still far away.
                        funny how a guitar played out of a 10" woofer and low power tube amp can fill the room like the 800D's with tons of SS power.
                        I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                        Lou

Comment

• misterdoggy
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Look we have both been on HT for some time I prefer to forget our dispute and try to keep positive thoughtfull comments that are helpful and not mean spirited with each other.

Your comments about the closeness of my speakers to the wall (3 feet away is plenty of room) and the refraction of glass posters (My preference) trying to point out that I know nothing, even though everything I have points to conscientious building of a system by someone who enjoys Audio. Are just trying to put in some stabs and jabs.

I will ignore and not return the favor in kind and offer you peace....

My son is studying to be a concert pianist and we have a Steinway as well in the house although I don't have the room for a Concert Grand, we have the model "K", and nothing comes close to the sound that the piano makes in the room.

Sometimes when I am coming in the house and hear the piano playing I cannot be sure it is my son or a CD until I am in the room.

But the better the system, the closer you can get, but no system will ever get to that point, where you are standing in the room and close your eyes and you can't tell the difference.

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Peace

Look we have both been on HT for some time I prefer to forget our dispute and try to keep positive thoughtfull comments that are helpful and not mean spirited with each other.
                            Agreed Peace:T

Your comments about the closeness of my speakers to the wall (3 feet away is plenty of room) and the refraction of glass posters (My preference) trying to point out that I know nothing, even though everything I have points to conscientious building of a system by someone who enjoys Audio. Are just trying to put in some stabs and jabs.
                            I am not taking stab I was just making suggestions, It doesn't appear that your speakers are 3 feet away and yes that is plenty. :lol:

My son is studying to be a concert pianist and we have a Steinway as well in the house although I don't have the room for a Concert Grand, we have the model "K", and nothing comes close to the sound that the piano makes in the room.
                            Whoa, that is impressive how old is your son?

Sometimes when I am coming in the house and hear the piano playing I cannot be sure it is my son or a CD until I am in the room.
                            I can always tell as my system is in a room with 10 feet ceiling where as my baby grand is in a room with 24 feet ceiling.

But the better the system, the closer you can get, but no system will ever get to that point, where you are standing in the room and close your eyes and you can't tell the difference.
                            Yes it is close, my 802D are amazing but still one with a trained ear can tell the difference. PEACE

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                              • Mar 2005

MD Keep working it... Took me a week to get my new (2) JL Audio F113s to the point I didn't regret getting rid of my Velodynde DD18. Now I am glad I made the move.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2005

I will keep playing with it.

Also I have Room Correction software in the Meridian 861V4 which I might be able to play with as well.

Its not position of the speakers, it might be phase as I did not recheck phase, I changed the terminal to the 8 ohm from 4 ohm and it sounded a bit better.

Also someone said stereophile review states that a long breakin period is needed for the 1201's which are fairly young.

Comment

• beden1
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2006

I just read that the new Classe SSP-800 has a 300 hour break-in period. That's a relatively long time, or 12.5 days at 24 hours per day.

Maybe the manufacturers of these products should burn them in on their own time prior to shipping them for sale to the public, as well as making sure all is well with the units.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Pics with grills off please 8)

Now all you need to go with your i dunno, 90? grand worth of gear is a dedicated room. :T
                                    B&W

Comment

• Allegiance
                                      • Sep 2006

Wow awesome system! :T

One thing I would love to see is the speakers placed further from the cabinet. I do wonder if this affects performance at all?

Edit: One more thing I have just noticed, which I am not sure if it's the picture or not, but it looks like your floor is bowing in at the centre.

Comment

• Gump
                                        • Sep 2005

Stunningly awesome set-up, misterdoggy! :dothewave: :dothewave:

I think the 1201's just need some time to settle in and they'll sound incredible. If your concerned about it though, I suggest calling or e-mailing McIntosh's tech. department. I called them once with a question and they were very helpful and more than happy to talk to me about it. Might ease your mind a little... :T

Comment

• wettou
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
                                          MD Keep working it... Took me a week to get my new (2) JL Audio F113s to the point I didn't regret getting rid of my Velodynde DD18. Now I am glad I made the move.
                                          I have one JL Audio F113 and was wondering if I should get a second one? How big is your room, mine is 20 x18 x10

Comment

• wettou
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • May 2006

I just read that the new Classe SSP-800 has a 300 hour break-in period. That's a relatively long time, or 12.5 days at 24 hours per day.
                                            I heard 400 hours may be that is for the amps, any how 24 hours a day is abit much 14h days is the limit for me!!

Maybe the manufacturers of these products should burn them in on their own time :evil: prior to shipping them for sale to the public, as well as making sure all is well with the units.
                                            Yes I could not agree more but it would cost them a fortune in Electric bill, I have to assume that hey test each unit at least a few hours to make sure they perform well, it's called QC & QA :W

Comment

• beden1
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2006

I heard 400 hours may be that is for the amps, any how 24 hours a day is abit much 14h days is the limit for me!!

That's how I broke in my speakers, by playing the system 24 hours a day, but at very low volumes at night. The electric bill suffered, but it was worth it to me as I'm only at my Florida house like one month out of three.

Yes I could not agree more but it would cost them a fortune in Electric bill, I have to assume that hey test each unit at least a few hours to make sure they perform well, it's called QC & QA :W
                                              Better their electric bill than ours. Plus, we saw the picture of the SSP-800's just sitting there on their racks awaiting final software testing, which would have been a great time for them to be running the odometer.

Comment

• Hallett
                                                • Jun 2006

They sure look nice Misterdoggy give them some time I just got my ca-m 400's I have had them only a week they
                                                are sounding better every day. good luck to you . :T
                                                Classe ssp-600
                                                Classe CA-M400 Monoblocks
                                                Classe CDP-100
                                                B&W 802D :T ;x(
                                                Velodyne DD-18 :T

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Allegiance

Edit: One more thing I have just noticed, which I am not sure if it's the picture or not, but it looks like your floor is bowing in at the centre.
                                                  Camera Lense :T
                                                  B&W

Comment

• Allegiance
                                                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                    Camera Lense :T
                                                    I did think so, but then I also thought that with a massive amount of weight on the floor it might be possible :

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Allegiance
                                                      I did think so, but then I also thought that with a massive amount of weight on the floor it might be possible :
                                                      Camera Lens, I needed a wide angle to be able to get the whole thing in from the distance from the shot

And the speakers are 3 feet away from the wall and clear in front of the cabinet.

Comment

• Allegiance
                                                        • Sep 2006

Camera Lens, I needed a wide angle to be able to get the whole thing in from the distance from the shot

And the speakers are 3 feet away from the wall and clear in front of the cabinet.
                                                        I can see the speakers clear the front of the cabinet, it is just them being so close on the side. Are you able to move them further out away from cabinet to see if you notice any difference?

Comment

• Russ L
                                                          • Jul 2006

I will keep playing with it.

Also someone said stereophile review states that a long breakin period is needed for the 1201's which are fairly young.
                                                          The Moon amps are like that as well. Better quality parts... longer breakin period. Just wait till the breakin period ends. The amps change overnight... then you'll be smiling :T
                                                          Russ

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Unless they are demo amps I would certainly expect some run in. I don't agree with the comments about pre run in gear as I love listening to the changes as the amp comes on song over a week or two.

On the size issue I read a review where the guy who had a Conrad Johnson premier 350 as his reference amp was reviewing a CA200, which is effectively a detuned 350. He was saying that the more powerful amp was more effortless etc etc but I recall that he felt the less powerful amp was not beaten in every respect by its bigger brother. It did some things better. Size can make a big difference it would seem but is not necessarily everything. I would love to hear a Premier 350 in my system but that just ain't gonna happen.

Enjoy the run in MR D, I am sure you know deep down that you have to wait a while for the best - and those speakers are still wet behind the ears also.
                                                            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Jan 2006

Congrats on your awesome setup! :T

I have a very strong feeling that over the next few weeks you should be able to notice improvements. It would be great to read your posts on your journey as you rediscover your fantastic system.

Enjoy.

Comment

• style
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Feb 2006

Mc1201

Hi Bruce,

For yours Mc1201s:

If you have a pre like Mx119 or so like that make a test with this pre in place as Meridian.

Is too possible have more dynamic with one system all from the same company....this is only over paper but if you have this possibilty try...

Omar

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                                  • Mar 2005

wettou my room is 22x16x8.5 feet... At first I was concerned with the results I then switched to running master-master and the subs integrated well in my room and system. I am now very happy with the sound of duals.

I'd say go for it!

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2003

How about a pic from the back of the rack?

Comment

• wgriel
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

Ah - the placement is better than it appears in that photo. That is good

Comment

• DeepEndX
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2005

i have the krell's evo line. It took them 3 months! Give it some time. I had the buyer remorse at the beginning but then it opened up.

Comment

• Ataim
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DeepEndX
                                                                          i have the krell's evo line. It took them 3 months! Give it some time. I had the buyer remorse at the beginning but then it opened up.

They will never improve, you should just give them to me! :rofl: I'll even pay for the shipping over to the States. 8O

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2005
                                                                            • 1418

Originally posted by Ataim
                                                                            They will never improve, you should just give them to me! :rofl: I'll even pay for the shipping over to the States. 8O

OK Send your address :T

Comment

• Glenee
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2006
                                                                              • 253

#39
                                                                              Mister Doggy, That is absolutley one of the finest sytems in the world. Lest we forget when we first got the 501's, I wasn't impressed to say the least and you weren't either, then they came around. It takes a while for everything to come together, there is NO WAY you will not absolutley love that system in a few.
                                                                              Glenee

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jun 2006
                                                                                • 475

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Glenee
                                                                                Mister Doggy, That is absolutley one of the finest sytems in the world. Lest we forget when we first got the 501's, I wasn't impressed to say the least and you weren't either, then they came around. It takes a while for everything to come together, there is NO WAY you will not absolutley love that system in a few.
                                                                                Glenee
                                                                                Glenee,

So I guess they were a big improvement over the Crown K2's. Did you ever sell them?

Comment

• Glenee
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2006
                                                                                  • 253

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                                                                                  Glenee,

So I guess they were a big improvement over the Crown K2's. Did you ever sell them?
                                                                                  They were a improvement no doubt, once I got used to the difference. But I can sure see where one person would like the K2's over the Mac's. Such as Classe over Mac, to each his own. But I might add the K2's are one hell of a Amp. $ for Quality I think a best buy for someone needing lots of power and clarity and Not quite ready for Prime Time. So I would have to say: Better Yes, Cleaner Yes,Better looking Yes, Light years ahead, life changing, HELL NO.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2006
                                                                                    • 475

#42
                                                                                    They were a improvement no doubt, once I got used to the difference. But I can sure see where one person would like the K2's over the Mac's. Such as Classe over Mac, to each his own. But I might add the K2's are one hell of a Amp. $ for Quality I think a best buy for someone needing lots of power and clarity and Not quite ready for Prime Time. So I would have to say: Better Yes, Cleaner Yes,Better looking Yes, Light years ahead, life changing, HELL NO.
                                                                                    I went from a QSC PLX to Bryston monoblocks and Classe mono's. I need to decide which to keep, but they are not light years ahead or life changing by any means over the QSC.

Comment

• Glenee
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2006
                                                                                      • 253

#43
                                                                                      I went from a QSC PLX to Bryston monoblocks and Classe mono's. I need to decide which to keep, but they are not light years ahead or life changing by any means over the QSC.
                                                                                      Which Bryston Mono's and Classe Mono's ? Which ones do you think your keeping ?

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2006
                                                                                        • 475

#44
                                                                                        Which Bryston Mono's and Classe Mono's ? Which ones do you think your keeping ?
                                                                                        Bryston 7B ST's and Classe CAM 350's. Don't know which ones to keep yet. I am going for several months with each. The Classe are as good as everyone says and the Bryston are much better than everyone seems to think. I don't know which ones to keep.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 1537

#45
                                                                                          The Classe are as good as everyone says and the Bryston are much better than everyone seems to think. I don't know which ones to keep.
                                                                                          Perfect comment about the Brystons :T
                                                                                          B&W

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"