X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Short 685 review

For those looking for reviews and info on the 685's I thought I might post a very short review.

I had a very short listen to the B&W 685's at a shop today(about 2 songs) and was impressed.

They sounded rather larger than their actual size, clear and dynamic.

They were being powered by a Marantz 5002 receiver and it seemed to be able to power the speakers well enough to a reasonable volume level.

Cannot say much more until I get another listen with a cd I am familiar with and get them alongside some other brand bookshelves to compare,but my first impressions were very positive.

In the short listen I had, they have definitely got me interested, they did seem to have something special.

Anyone else had a listen ?

Pete
  • stlfdemt
    • May 2007

I have owned my 685's since FEB and I love them. I running them off a Yamaha receiver and a SVS PB-10 crossed over at 80hz. Running with a sub I like the them better than the 684,683, and the CM7 without a sub. I listen to all music genre except rap.

Comment

• jjahshik32
      • Sep 2007

Yep, very very satisfied new owner of the 685.

IMHO 685 works better as mains for HT (which is important to me) than the 805S. They sound fuller with alot of bass especially in a small/medium sized room. I was blown away for movies with explosions or anything very loud and the 685 delivered it exactly the way I want it to while the 805S sounded so thin (I know need a good sub will blow it away but I dont want to add a sub since my room is pretty small).

Also the tweeter's soundstage is not as wide as the top tweeters of the 805S but if placed right they sound just as wide. But the high's are not as bright as the 805S (I like the brightness of the 805S).

Also I think that the 685 connected to my macbook pro via optical for music sounds almost exactly the same as the 805S. I usually listen to music from itunes (have ALOT of music on itunes/external hdd's).

You are right about the "special" feeling the 685 gives you! :B

I really like its design as well.
      Last edited by jjahshik32; 05 June 2008, 18:01 Thursday.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"