• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Bass management help

Hello,

I need help controlling my bass, my problem is as follows.

my room is 20 x 18 x 10 feet yes and equipment is

Three B&W 802D (L,C,R), two B&W 802 (SR,SL), two BW 803 (SBRS) and JL Audio Fathom F113 driven by Classé CA-5200 and 2100

I get nasty bass resonance and want to get bass traps that are not ugly any suggestions?
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
    Hello,

I need help controlling my bass, my problem is as follows.

my room is 20 x 18 x 10 feet yes and equipment is

Three B&W 802D (L,C,R), two B&W 802 (SR,SL), two BW 803 (SBRS) and JL Audio Fathom F113 driven by Classé CA-5200 and 2100

I get nasty bass resonance and want to get bass traps that are not ugly any suggestions?
    What is your floor made of? I had the problem with wood floors where I was getting a lot of bass resonance. I had granite bases made for the sub woofers and put Sound Care Super Spikes under the bases. I also had platforms made for my floor speakers that elevated them 6" off of the floor, and they too were dampened with Super Spikes. I then set the LFE cross over at 50. These efforts helped to tighten and define the bass, and virtually eliminated the resonance without having to do anything with bass traps.

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
      What is your floor made of? I had the problem with wood floors where I was getting a lot of bass resonance. I had granite bases made for the sub woofers and put Sound Care Super Spikes under the bases. I also had platforms made for my floor speakers that elevated them 6" off of the floor, and they too were dampened with Super Spikes. I then set the LFE cross over at 50. These efforts helped to tighten and define the bass, and virtually eliminated the resonance without having to do anything with bass traps.
      My floor is marble and the LFE cross over is set at 80.
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

My floor is marble and the LFE cross over is set at 80.
        I just looked at your pictures and saw the marble floors. Try setting the LFE to 50 to see if it tightens things up. I have marble floors in my other setup, also with twin subs and the B&W 803Ds, etc. Setting LFE at 50 did the most in controlling bass resonance. It also helped more by using the Super Spikes on each of these speakers to elevate the speakers off of the floors a bit.

Your have a lot of woofers in your system. There may be too much of a good thing? (LOL)

Comment

• speakerboy
          • Nov 2005

I have my speakers set to SMALL and 80 Hz cutoff freq and let my F113 do all the rumbling. Do you only get bass resonance when playing 5.1 and not 2-channel?

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by speakerboy
            I have my speakers set to SMALL and 80 Hz cutoff freq and let my F113 do all the rumbling. Do you only get bass resonance when playing 5.1 and not 2-channel?
            I have my fronts L/R set to large, center and surrounds set to small, and LFE at 50 Hz. I found the LFE setting at 80 Hz caused the bass to become too pronounced and much less defined.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

If I play organ music and yes action movies I can feel and hear the bass accumulate in the corners!

Comment

• speakerboy
                • Nov 2005

I have my fronts L/R set to large, center and surrounds set to small, and LFE at 50 Hz. I found the LFE setting at 80 Hz caused the bass to become too pronounced and much less defined.
                Beden1, what sub do you have? Do you have a Fathom F113 also?

I set all my speakers to SMALL according to the JL Audio manual and sounds much better now...I used to have my speakers set at LARGE with my former ASW850 sub. The F113 has room optimization to smooth out the bump in the frequence response. With its 2.5 kilowatt amp, i get plenty of punch.

Comment

• speakerboy
                  • Nov 2005

If I play organ music and yes action movies I can feel and hear the bass accumulate in the corners!
                  Perhaps move the speakers and/or sub away from the corners. Add a rug, pictures, furniture, or bass traps in the corners and re-calibrate the F113 sub.

Comment

• beden1
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006

Beden1, what sub do you have? Do you have a Fathom F113 also?

I set all my speakers to SMALL according to the JL Audio manual and sounds much better now...I used to have my speakers set at LARGE. The F113 has room optimization to smooth out the bump in the frequence response. With its 2.5 kilowatt amp, i get plenty of punch.
                    I have the Velodyne SC-1250 and twin SC-15" subs with room optimization. In both of my systems, I have played with the settings a lot. And in both cases, it always comes back to the fronts to large, and the rest of the speakers to small. I also set the sub to YES, as I found the setting to PLUS makes the bass too boomy. The LFE is set to 50.

I have also played with the volume settings. I used to be as high as a setting of 36, but after living with both systems for a while now, the one setting is at 29 and the other is at 27. The bass is very tight and articulate, strong but not boomy.

A lot depends on your room and personal tastes. I also play the drums, and adjust my settings according to how the bass drum is being output while listening to music. Unfortunately, many of the sounds produced in movies, are sounds that are rarely if ever experienced in real life . . . so, it's tough to adjust levels from any real life experience.

Comment

• speakerboy
                      • Nov 2005

A lot depends on your room and personal tastes.
                      Definitely. Agreed. Every room will sound different. The furnishings (or lack thereof) will also make a difference as well.

Comment

• speakerboy
                        • Nov 2005

Are you implying you were standing in the corner and can hear the bass accumulate? The thing to keep in mind is that location won't be your listening position. Every part of a room will sound different. I would maximize the sound quality to your ideal listening position. Make sure you have the Fathom F113's mic at that position when running the ARO.

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Are you implying you were standing in the corner and can hear the bass accumulate? The thing to keep in mind is that location won't be your listening position. Every part of a room will sound different. I would maximize the sound quality to your ideal listening position. Make sure you have the Fathom F113's mic at that position when running the ARO.
                          I have done that and at the listening position it sounds great, I as just trying to see if the room could be improved.

Comment

• dmccombs
                            • Sep 2006

Wettou,

You are right to want to improve the room. Room improvments will help the sound at more listening positions. www.gikacoutsics.com and www.realtraps.com are good places to check out bass traps.

In the mean time, did you run the ARO on the sub. It should help with a room node. A single band adjustment may not make things perfect, but it may help.

Regards,
                            Darrell

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by dmccombs
                              Wettou, You are right to want to improve the room. Room improvments will help the sound at more listening positions. www.gikacoutsics.com and www.realtraps.com are good places to check out bass traps. In the mean time, did you run the ARO on the sub. It should help with a room node. A single band adjustment may not make things perfect, but it may help.
                              Thank Darell, any experience with any of these products that you recommend? Or any of these they all are obnoxiously pricey? And there are so many to choose from!!

Auralex Acoustics is the industry leader in acoustical treatment products, including Studiofoam, bass traps, diffusors, panels, sound barriers, construction materials, & more.

Acoustics First corporation designs, manufactures, and distributes acoustic products and treatments such as absorber panels, sound diffusers, ceiling tiles, baffles, banners, barriers, and vibration control products. Sonora, BlockAid, ToneTIles, Cloudscape, and more.

Great article: http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Comment

• Isaac
                                • Jan 2006

Wettou,

I currently have Echobusters(Echobusters, cornerbusters, Bassbusters) and I can say they do make a big improvement. The bassbusters help control bass responce and don't look too bad, but are expensive.

Seems clear that the biggest need for your room is more bass trapping. Small rooms need proportionally more bass traps, because the comb filtering effects on the low end are more severe.

The best place overall for bass traps is in the room corners, both wall/wall and wall/ceiling corners.

Look at www.REALTRAPS.com (Expensive but work the best), www.echobusters.com (Bassbusters look the best, but don't control bass as good), www.readyacoustics.com(Biggest bang for the buck, look good,control bass and are cheap)

Since you seem to have a HT, I would recommend you keep the crossover at 80hz.

Comment

• dmccombs
                                  • Sep 2006

Thank Darell, any experience with any of these products that you recommend? Or any of these they all are obnoxiously pricey? And there are so many to choose from!!

Auralex Acoustics is the industry leader in acoustical treatment products, including Studiofoam, bass traps, diffusors, panels, sound barriers, construction materials, & more.

Acoustics First corporation designs, manufactures, and distributes acoustic products and treatments such as absorber panels, sound diffusers, ceiling tiles, baffles, banners, barriers, and vibration control products. Sonora, BlockAid, ToneTIles, Cloudscape, and more.

Great article: http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Wettou,

I am single and don't have to worry about the WAF, so I went with the cheapest ones that would do the job (not necessarily the prettiest).

I went with GIK Acoustics. The panels are well rated, and the service is great. Send them pics of your room, measurements, and any other info you can send them. They will make thoughtful recommendations of what you should buy, and where you should place them.

Recently, they have added more coverings, so if you do want nicer looking panels, they have some options now.

Darrell

Comment

• Relentless
                                    • Jul 2007

Maverick71 did it right :T
                                    I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                                    Lou

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Relentless
                                      Cool what kind of wood?

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"