X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Anyone run big Krell amps with B&Ws?

Curious if anyone uses/have used some big krell beasts with B&Ws and what you thought of them. Perferably the N802s.
    B&W
  • Pedro
    • Jan 2006

Hello Race man,

I ve recently bought the 803D. And i'm very excited choosing the best gear to them. Ive listened them with Krell KCT and Krell 400CX ICted using CAST cables, about 1 month ago. LIked so much the result, WONDERFUL BASS, EXCELENT MACRODYNAMIC, so the 400x2 REALLY put the 803D base drivers to work. Listening the JK Drum Improvisation from XRCD FIM, it look likes the walls of the rooms starts to shake.

So.. The ClasseA gear is really a worth to have, isnt analytical to me, and has a natural, clear, clean sound. With Cast cables this gets better.

From now, before choosing this Krell Combo, i will just listen to the CLasse CP700 and CA-M400 (1x400), and see if it's better or not. I almost listen to hard rock, and metal, soo everything is possible hehehe

What gear are you using with your N802???

Comment

• Aldo
      • Sep 2005

I used Krell 700cx with 800's and I believe it was one of the best combinations I ever heard! Krells control the 800's with speed and punch like never before!
      The only porblem is that it makes your electric bill spin like it has turbo chargers!

Comment

• KEF
        • Aug 2004

I am running a FPB 300cx to drive my 802Ds, and I really like the combo

Regards,
        KEF

Comment

• Audiophiliac
          • Apr 2006

We used to run our N802 and Sig. 800 with big Krell amps...350 monos, and a 700cx. It sounded amazing!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I am currently running two Bryston 7bs, and I do like them.

However my next upgrade (whenever that is, no real hurry) I keep turning to look at Krells. (I have drooled over them for years) Although I have never listened to one. Not sure of any local new/used dealers where I could listen to one.

If I drop some coin on some used ones, it would be something like these give or take..

Or if I win the lottery (not holding my breath) something like these

Glad to hear people have been happy with them.
            B&W

Comment

• Pedro
              • Jan 2006

For your N802, the 450MCX could be the best match. The 700CX i think is a lot, just because N802 can handle until 500Wpc.

There are a few Class A amps in factory, sealed, but there arent so much because the Evolution line is getting place. To me this new Evolution series doesnt worth the double cost. To me they are just 10% better than Classe A.

Comment

• Minardi2
                • May 2007

I'm driving my N802s with a Krell 700cx and love it. I find that the bigger B&Ws really need an amp that has a lot of power as they are a fairly demanding load. Before the 700, I had an FPB-200, and while that was also fabulous, when comparing the two amps head-to-head, there was a very obvious difference (for the better IMO) that came with the extra power.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Agreed, just because an amp is rated at XYZ watts doesnt mean its pushing XYZ watts all the time.
                  (now I am not saying krell or whatever is underated)

However music being transient, I dont see me using say... 700 watts, however having the power on tap should would be nice. :twisted:

Headroom is nice too

But that doesnt matter, I need to win the lottery before I bother thinking of buying some real BIG Krells..

Or if I decide REALLLLLY want them, I will probably just buy them against my better judgement. :lol:
                  B&W

Comment

• DeepEndX
                    • Feb 2005

I have the Krell 750 MCX with 800D's. It handles the 800'D with control, power, thump. The amp tends to be on the bright side and very detailed so it would be personally preference.

Comment

• ka7niq
                      • May 2007

I have used many Krell amps in the past with B&W's, and other speakers.
                      I USED to think they were bright, and some are.
                      I found the big Krells to be real amps w/o sagging power supplies.
                      Thus they do not roll off the highs like some amps do.
                      Many 800 series B&W's have revealing tweeters.
                      Harsh DAC's and preamps are exposed for what they are, and the speaker/amp often gets blamed.
                      I really liked my old Krell KSA 50 on Matrix 805's.
                      I HATED it actually, until I got a decent DAC
                      Owner - Apple Roof Cleaning - Tampa, Florida
                      http://www.saferoofcleaning.com

Comment

• Pedro
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ka7niq
                        Many 800 series B&W's have revealing tweeters.
                        You mean the Nautilus 800 series, and the 800 Standard?

Because the Diamond series are not revealing.They were also less revealing than some Dyn Contour

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Pedro
                          You mean the Nautilus 800 series, and the 800 Standard?

Because the Diamond series are not revealing.They were also less revealing than some Dyn Contour
                          The diamonds are revealing of the music but not the distortion that the others tweeters are more susceptible to.
                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• aquaanox
                            • Feb 2007

after listening to a lot of really good amps that all sound great, i have decided that my next upgrade will be from rotel to electrocompaniet strictly based on asthetics they all sound really good and rather than try to over analyse subtle differences im getting my priorties in order.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"