X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maverick71
    • Nov 2006

Amazing system

Hi,

I was browsing through some threads here that emphasize the importance not only of the equipments but also the room and thought about sharing this with you.
    An audio lover purchased a LOFT, contracted an Audiodesigner and build an amazing 6.1 audio/HT studio around 6 B&W 801 speakers (3x801D and 3xN801). The room has lots of acoustic treatment to remove it's "bad" contributions to sound performance. The result is truly unspeakable. I've been there a couple of times, listened to a few musics and some movies and I can say that it is a devastating experience. Some even say it sounds better than Abbey Road...

You can read all about it and see some pictures of the studio over here:

After the listening experiences I had there I've become more and more focused on the need for proper acoustic treatments in most sound systems. It's very hard on "home" cinema rooms, I know, but the results can be absolutely astounding, IMHO.

By the way, when I refer to acoustic treatments at a common living room, I refer to something like this:

Enjoy!

Mav
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Maverick71; 01 July 2007, 07:20 Sunday.
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Wow!
    ;x( ;x( ;x(

Awesome setup!

The sound must be absolutely blissful.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
      • Apr 2006

If you go through that much effort and spend that kind of money, why not D's all the way around?

Comment

• Maverick71
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Audiophiliac
        If you go through that much effort and spend that kind of money, why not D's all the way around?
        From a few conversations with the owner, "...no more money, I'm afraid..." . The acoustic treatment ended up to be higher than expected. Each speaker is powered by a Electrocompaniet Nemo so he can do that if time and money allows.

The sweet spot has one seat only and it's about 2.5 meters away from each speaker. I tell you: when your seated there you feel like your at a dentist chair... be afraid, be very afraid . One of the first song I heard there was an oldie: Michael Jackson's "Beat it" and my first though was : "Oh my God 8O ".

Mav

Comment

• Audiophiliac
          • Apr 2006

I can only imagine the bill on that....must have been horrific. I would bet the acoustic treatment alone was well over a quarter mil.....then you start adding up speakers, amps, cabling, console, D/A toys, computers, and all the supporting equipment....and room finish....then construction labor....must have reached a cool million real quick. Cant say I wouldnt have a room like that if I had the dough.

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

I'm drooling over the degidesign icon system...
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Maverick71
              • Nov 2006

I don't have a clue on how much the whole acoustic setup was, but I know that a 180 sq ft of that helmholtz resonator wall (parts and labour) costs about 2.500-3.000 USD. For this level (or 80xD level) system, I'd say it's not overly expensive, considering the impact it has on performance. But all acoustic treatments should not be considered as a one solution fits all, of course. I've seen a couple of more projects done by the same audio designer using similar resonators (tuned to the room, obviously) and the results were very, very good (and it even has a good WAF.. ).

Mav

Comment

• corbelli
                • Jul 2006

Hello Maverick,

I´m noticed about this "Portugal Studio"(wonderfull)...I´m living in Spain and I have a pair of 801D and I´m going for a pair of NEMO monoblocks on my new dedicated room (bunker). The acustic is basic for exit.

You can see my "bunker" construction with many pictures here (Be patient, is much long thread and in Spanish language):

mundohi-fi.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, mundohi-fi.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Best Regards.

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Audiophiliac
                  Because Nautilus with proper equipment + proper room treatment is greater than Ds without proper room treatment. But with as good as the prep work he's done, I'm sure they both sound really good.

I thought a loft was always UPstairs. Why are there stairs going DOWN? Either way, amazing setup.
                  B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by corbelli
                    Hello Maverick,

I´m noticed about this "Portugal Studio"(wonderfull)...I´m living in Spain and I have a pair of 801D and I´m going for a pair of NEMO monoblocks on my new dedicated room (bunker). The acustic is basic for exit.

You can see my "bunker" construction with many pictures here (Be patient, is much long thread and in Spanish language):

mundohi-fi.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, mundohi-fi.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Best Regards.
                    That’s just absolutely and utterly stunning - great work. ;x(

I want my own basement/bunker now - this is a superb idea! Within the next couple of years we are building a 2 story extension - I am going to investigate the possibility of building in a cellar now too. :T

If possible, could you please create a thread in English with the pictures? I know it is alot of work, but I would just love to read the story.

Mark

Comment

• Pato
                      • Dec 2006

Hi Corbelli,

You´ll find João Ganho here: http://forumhifi.com/board/index.php
                      Lyngdorf CD1 - NAD S300 - B&W 802D

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"