X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbjames
    • Jun 2007

804's on wood floor

If I wanted to use spikes but did not want to damage my wood floor, what options do I have?
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Put a quarter/penny under them... that or something that is hard enough to withstand the weight from the speakers without going through to your floor (basically something flat and metalic).

Or you could go for these highly expensive things...

Kidding on the expensive part.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• mbjames
      • Jun 2007

Putting the 804's on spikes does what to the sound quality?

also, I can't seem to find my spikes, where do I buy more?

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by mbjames
        Putting the 804's on spikes does what to the sound quality?

also, I can't seem to find my spikes, where do I buy more?
        Slow down guys. The purpose of the spikes is to anchor the speakers to the floor. They work very well on carpet. If you put them on coins or those little cups it will defeat the purpose.

You want friction. Go out and get some rubber sheeting and cut out pads to put under the speakers. It should work very well and protect your floors. I would start at the Home Depot. The should have something that will work.

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Soundcare Super Spikes work great for me. B&W use 6mm threads. This link is to the ordering page for the standard model.

You need to get those small round metal disks to put under the spikes that come with B&W speakers, and then put some felt under those. Only problem I had was that every time the house cleaners came, they would bump the speaker spikes and knock them off of the pads.

Soundcare Super Spikes offer a much more secure footing IMO.

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by beden1
            Soundcare Super Spikes work great for me. B&W use 6mm threads. This link is to the ordering page for the standard model.
            How did you adjust the spikes to level the speaker? The OEM spikes have tools for this but the concept and the ease of use of the Super Spikes is intriguing.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
              How did you adjust the spikes to level the speaker? The OEM spikes have tools for this but the concept and the ease of use of the Super Spikes is intriguing.
              Sound Care provides a thin slotted wrench to adjust the threaded nut used to level the speaker/spikes. The end result is a very tight and solid foundation. I'm now using them on all my speakers and sub woofers.
              Their main web page: http://www.soundcare.no/
              ** Check the thread size on your large B&W's as they are showing M6 & M8 thread sizes for B&W. My 703s and 803Ds used M6. They are very good/timely at responding to questions. Look at top of main web page for link to dimensions.

Comment

• ryst
                • May 2007

I use damping feet from Sonic Desing to my 802D, I guees they will work well under a pair of 804 as well

sonic design

Comment

• goe2112
                  • Feb 2005

Just curious, Should an individual who has wooden floors use spikes or not. If so, why ? Is there independant proof that spikes benifit the sound when placed on wooden floors? Once again just curious.

Comment

• Gremal
                    • Apr 2007

Independent proof? I don't know about that, but audiophiles have for years attempted to decouple audio gear from groundborne and airborne vibrations which, to my ears, is a noble endeavor that allows gear to perform optimally and has sonic benefits. It is especially important in gear that has a lot of mechanical moving parts, like disc machines. I have aurios under my SACD player and it makes a huge difference.

Spikes are supposed to minimize the effect of groundborne vibrations on the speaker not, as someone said earlier, to anchor them to the ground. If that was the case, why use a spike? Spikes minimize the floor surface area that is in contact with the speaker. Is there "proof" that this improves audio quality? Well, gee, for that we need double-blind, controlled trials and now we're off in a whole 'nother area we don't want to get into.
                    Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by goe2112
                      Just curious, Should an individual who has wooden floors use spikes or not. If so, why ? Is there independant proof that spikes benifit the sound when placed on wooden floors? Once again just curious.
                      I think having speakers on a wood floor in a frame house is the best case scenario for using something to minimize vibrations that can resonate throughout the room/house.

My one setup is on wood floors. Under my sub woofers, I have granite bases with Soundcare Superspikes. I also have the Superspikes under my main floor speakers. These have virtually eliminated resonating vibrations and rattles that were very evident.

In my other setup with marble floors over a concrete slab, I use the Soundcare Superspikes to elevate my main speakers and floor surround speakers off the floor a bit, and to level/stabilize their footing.

Comment

• ryst
                        • May 2007

The only thing spikes will do is to pass/forward the vibration from the speakers to the ground/floor. Sure your speaker will probaly stand steady but what you really should do is to "disconnect" the speaker from the floor. You can do that with soft feet.

Comment

• beden1
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by ryst
                          The only thing spikes will do is to pass/forward the vibration from the speakers to the ground/floor. Sure your speaker will probaly stand steady but what you really should do is to "disconnect" the speaker from the floor. You can do that with soft feet.
                          Not really! You may want to go to the Soundcare link I provided earlier and read about how the vibrations are dampened. The Superspikes also have felt pads on the bottom.

Whatever their composition or science, they work for me in dampening vibration problems I had.

I agree that normal spikes pass vibrations, however. They did not work for me when I tried them first.

Comment

• GregLett
                            • May 2005

Play your speaker without spikes on any kind of floor, then without, you be the judge. I think there is an advantage in using spikes. I go one step further and place my speakers on Granite tile.
                            Greg

Comment

• misterdoggy
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

I have wooden floors and REGRET ever using spikes. There are major scratches and holes everywhere. What a disaster. My 802D's and the spike set which cost $300 were the biggest mistake.

If you need to change wires, or move the speaker, or move the speaker to get to something behind it, then inevitably the spikes will move off the protective cups and rip, scratch, heart drop. Owwwww :a> :a>

The spike set comes with 2 ends. One side is spikes and the other is rubber ends and that is what I am using now.

Even the rollers that the 802D's were delivered with rolled marks in the softwood.

There is and was NO perceived improvement in my system with Spikes. However they did RUIN my floors by accidents over a period of time.

Comment

• miner
                                • Mar 2005

I use rubber pods under my 804s and sub on my oak wook floors.

Comment

• mbjames
                                  • Jun 2007

I like the idea of using rubber pods or rubber spikes in case my dogs knock these around. Any recommendations on specific types? (manufacturer, model)??

Comment

• Cambs12
                                    • Jul 2006

Gremal,you say you use Aurios under your SACD player,what are they,haven't heard of them,and interested in isolation for my cd player.

Comment

• bigburner
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Cambs12
                                      Gremal,you say you use Aurios under your SACD player,what are they,haven't heard of them,and interested in isolation for my cd player.

After looking at that site type "aurios" into Google and you'll get all sorts of additional information about Aurios.

Comment

• Blewis
                                        • Sep 2006

Hi,

You could try MasterBase plates. I am using them for my 803s speakers. It's an improvement in sound quality and they don't ruin the wooden floor!
                                        They are 4x4 cm wide and 1cm thick.
                                        I believe it is a dutch invention, available from: http://www.dynamic-solutions.nl/masterbase.htm

I also use them for decoupling cdplayer and amp.

Regards,

Louis

Comment

• miner
                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by miner
                                          I use rubber pods under my 804s and sub on my oak wook floors.
                                          I used the B&W rubber footed spikes. I had to order them for the N804 but they came with the ASW800 sub.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Gremal

Spikes are supposed to minimize the effect of groundborne vibrations on the speaker not, as someone said earlier, to anchor them to the ground. If that was the case, why use a spike? Spikes minimize the floor surface area that is in contact with the speaker.
                                            Finally. Thank you. Spikes were designed for putting large flat surfaces on carpet. They penetrate the carpet and make the speaker stable.

Somebody then decided that spikes look really cool and started using them elsewhere. Now they charge a lot for them and people have invented "cups" so that they can be used on wood floors. Just put rubber under the speaker to protect the floor and make sure that the oils from the rubber wil not stain the wood.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"