building a HTM-1 in a wall impacts sound quality?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmt
    • Jan 2005

building a HTM-1 in a wall impacts sound quality?

We're in the process of building a new house, including a room that will serve as tv/cinema/listening room.

Now, the wife want's a clean look, so no wires, amplifiers, dvd players,...in sight. Even my HTM-1 center channel is point of discussion to hide from view as much as possible (which is a shame in my view 8O )

She came up with a "solution" to build-in the center speaker in the wall, with a flat tv hanging above it. Unbelievably I've found a picture on the internet of just that, so it's easier to show what I (she) means. The only difference is that I have a HTM-1 and I will place my 802s further from the wall, and scrap the fire place

Now...IF I would go through with it, would such a mouting position hinder the sound in any way? I would think it does, but I've no idea.

What do you guys think?

PS: my solution would be to simply place it on a nice speaker stand, or put it on a plate that hangs from the wall.
    Attached Files
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

This is a tough situation to deal with. Everyday I have to help my customers deal with similar situations. If you put the center channel in the wall like the picture it will sound heavier and thicker in the lower midrange and upper bass. There will be an added emphasis on male voices and things like an electric bass. It will also affect the imaging. The wall will act as an extended baffle for the speaker and the image will smear. With all of that said, it will not be unlistenable. You, both you and your wife, will have to decide what will work for you.

As my dad always told me, "A happy wife makes for a happy (and quiet) home".

Eric

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
      • May 2004

NO!!!

What is the point of getting the higher end gear if you are going to place it wrong? While we all deal with WAF, buy her something new as a bribe to let you place it correctly.
      Steel

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
        • Mar 2005

In my opinion, you'd be better off just running a phantom center and selling the HTM1. Plus since you are building a dedicated room, what's her deal? It's not like you're putting all this gear in the family/formal living room.

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

The foto you showed presents several problems. First, if that fireplace works, I owuldn't count on reselling the center speaker for anything or it not being affected by the heat rising both from interior and exterior.

Then most important the sound will be very closed in and heavy on the base. Since the Center pseaker is THE MOST IMPORTANT speaker in a Home Theater, this is a lose lose situation.

Is that a htm1 you are speaking of or an htm1D which would be a "crime".

How about a nice cabinet with the speakers just below the Screen. Why go wall. This way the depth of the speaker fronts on all your speakers will coincide with the screen.

The problem here is not positioning, but communication. You have to make your wife understand that this hobby is important to you and you will have to sacrifice somewhere else, something to her.

In the end the enjoyment is for everyone in the family, so its not like your sabotaging the living room. But if its a choice of the hifi going or you going, let the hifi go...........

Comment

• tmt
            • Jan 2005

ok, that's clear
            It's what I thought already. It'll be a nice speaker stand or mount against the wall then, not in the wall.
            The Nautilus speakers are too beatiful anyway to put behind walls :P

PS: Don't worry, we're not gonna divorce over this. It was just her suggestion, not a final descision :W

Comment

• caleb
              • Aug 2004

Just as a light hearted comment.

If you are planning a dedicated Home theatre room, you have to get the best out of your equipment and you wont do that if you put your ccentre speaker in a hole in the wall.

Rather put your wife in a hole in the wall and brick it up.

Then you can have your room the way you want if and not get earache every time she goes in there.

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ZX10 Guy
                In my opinion, you'd be better off just running a phantom center and selling the HTM1.
                100% agree!
                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• ShadowZA
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by caleb
                  Just as a light hearted comment ...

Rather put your wife in a hole in the wall and brick it up.

Then you can have your room the way you want if and not get earache every time she goes in there.
                  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't forget to attenuate, or else she could get boomy

Seriously, I would pay much attention to the setting up process so as to maximize your sound quality. Then start enjoying as a family.

Good luck

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by tmt
                    She came up with a "solution" to build-in the center speaker in the wall, with a flat tv hanging above it. Unbelievably I've found a picture on the internet of just that, so it's easier to show what I (she) means. The only difference is that I have a HTM-1 and I will place my 802s further from the wall, and scrap the fire place
                    What an opportunity to scrap the HTM-1 and get a 3rd 802! (She does not seem to object to those.) :W
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                      What an opportunity to scrap the HTM-1 and get a 3rd 802! (She does not seem to object to those.) :W
                      Kal this could be viewed as mean spirited to those that can't, including me... darn you! :
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• caleb
                        • Aug 2004

I didn't know that B&W would actually sell a single 802 speaker (or any other 800 series for that matter).

I always was told that they came in matched pairs???

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

They can and they do but depending on your dealer sometimes not so easily.
                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"