X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick.h
    • Jan 2006

Using 805s as mains?

Hi,

Is using the 805s as the main speakers a big no, no???

B&W 805s (Rosenut) Front
    B&W 805s (Rosenut) Rear
    B&W HTM3s (Rosenut)
    Velodyne DD-10 (Piano black)
    RMB-1095 (Silver)
    RSP-1068 (Silver)
    RDV-1060 (Silver)
    • Nov 2005

HI Nick,
    How can you ask this seriously? The 805S's are great mini monitors. Just don't ask them to fill a big room with sound. They are intended for small spaces and IMO, they are truly wonderful when used this way.

Of couse I would say this. They are my main speakers for my HT system. :W I also have the 805S series as surrounds and center (the same as yours) in a 5.1 configuration. Unlike the B&W floorstanders, they require the use of a sub all the time. Therefore, having a good sub (or two) is very important. I have two ASW800's which fill the bill.

The biggest drawback is folks try to save money on the amp with the 805S's. IMO, this is a mistake. These speakers are more than good enough to justify great amps. I think the amps are a flaw in your system. If you can, audition the 805S's with a top drawer amp and see if I'm right. I'm using a Krell 3250 for the fronts and center. I believe this amp is a low as one should go. Again, IMO, Rotel's are too grainy and lack the resolution to make these speakers sing. Krell and others can get the job done properly.

Ah yes, this is an expensive game.

Sparky

Comment

• Guy
      • Jan 2006

No problems using 805s as mains as long as you don't play music at ridiculous volumes.

Comment

• DeepEndX
        • Feb 2005

805S would definitely work, but you would need to throw in a sub or two. You should also try out different amps to match your taste. Rotels are great value for the buck and it should drive your 805's nicely. Krell, Classe, Mac's...etc would bring it to another notch. If you can't tell the differences between Rotel and the other amps, consider yourself blessed.

Comment

• nick.h
          • Jan 2006

You are talking alot about the amp, but what about the processor? this would play a big part of the sound quality.

I have looked at the arcam 700/1000 combo, but is it going to be enough power? What if I upgrade to the 803s, how would it handle them?

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

The processor will have a much bigger impact on sound quality than any qualified amp will. But a quality amp is important if you want to achieve the most from your 805S. And like others have stated, they are amazing speakers for their size and a suitably sized room. I am using their SCMS cousins for my surrounds.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• akhter
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by nick.h
              You are talking alot about the amp, but what about the processor? this would play a big part of the sound quality.

I have looked at the arcam 700/1000 combo, but is it going to be enough power? What if I upgrade to the 803s, how would it handle them?
              I use Arcam AVR300 + Velo DD12 with my N804, so the 700/1000 should be atleast as good, if not better, since what I heard is the new 800 series has better & more efficient crossovers. If you upgrade to 803s later, it would be fine but, more powerful amps will make them sound even better especially in bottem end.

Good call on the AVP700.

Comment

• Blindamood
                • Sep 2003

I am also using 805S's (with an HTM4S center) in my HT. I am using the Rotel RMB-1075 amp, and I'm very happy with the sound, especially for movies and DVD-Audio. I have an older Velodyne sub that does an ample job, but am looking to upgrade to a matching B&W sub in the next couple of months.

As for processors, just make sure the crossover points that it provides will be compatible with the smaller monitors. For example, the RSP-1068 allows the crossover to be set at 80Hz, 60Hz, etc. I find that I like the 60Hz setting currently for these speakers.
                Brad

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"