X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jose_L
    • Mar 2006

Newbie need advice, sub & HT/music diy speakers

Hello everyone,

I've been reading alot of the threads hear, real impressive designs. I'm a complete newbie in DIY, but I'd like to build my own speakers because I think I'd get more satisfaction and bang for the buck doing it my self.

First on the list is a sub, my room is 20 x 22 x 10' w/ wood floors w/ area rugs. I know not very good for acoustics.

I have the following eq: amv20v2 w/ 3 carver amps. (TFM-45,25,15).

SteveCallas has help me design a sub(s) for my room.

Option 1: SS RL-p15 in a 7.5cu ft 17.5 tune enclosure w/ a Dayton 1000w plate amp.
    Opt 2: 2 - sealed RL-p15's in a 3.5 cu ft box w/ a 1000w plate amp in each. similiar to steve nn

I'm sort of leaning toward the sealed option because the ported box is soo big....

Now for my speakers:

I'm looking at the modula & modula center for my brother. (space limited 15 x 16 room & he has a receiver).

How much would you estimate the cost for the modula's using the partexpress cabinets ?

Also I like the look & size of the Dayton RS WMTW Center & TMWW Mains.. for myself.

What is an estimated cost on these speakers.

Also what are the power requirements for all these speakers ? ohm ?

Which speakers would you recomend ? Modula's or the 3 way WMTW/TMWW system ? Considering I will be using subs..

Thank you for your help & advice.

Regards,
    Jose
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Trying to cover all the speakers in a multi-channel system in a single thread is a bit problematic. You'll find pricing for the Modula designs is posted in the threads.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jose_L
      • Mar 2006

Ok, thanks..

I think I found the modula's to be around $400/speaker w/ cabinet and the larger 3 ways to be around $500/speaker + cabinet.

But what's the diff. between the Modula 2 way design vs the 3 way design ? Is is just a lower response ?

Would you think the modula's are the way to go because I'll be using a 15" sub ? or the 3 way design much better ? I've read kgverteran's impressions on his new 3 way. They seem to be very detailed..

Since this will take me some time to build, I want to build the best speaker that I can.

Regards,
      Jose

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Personally I don't see the need for a "full-range" speaker when a sub simply does a better job on the bottom end.

The only fullranges I've heard that wouldn't benefit from a sub cost $45,000.

You save a bunch of money with a 2-way compared to a 3-way and that money can go to building the sub.

I think the Modual MTM with a sub is the best choice for mains and the effects if you can place them properly.

I do think the WTMW design for a center channel is the best choice

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jose_L
          • Mar 2006

So a good selection would be using the modula MTM's for the mains/rears and WTMW for the center w/ 2 sealed 15" subs ?

BTW, What would be the lowest crossover point that I could use w/ the modula's & and the WTMW speakers ?

Thanks for the advice..
          Regards,
          Jose

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"