X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiojunky
    • Mar 2006

When can I start cranking the volume?

I bought a new pair of B&W 804s' a few weeks ago and I was "warned" by the dealer that I should play the speakers for around 30-40 hours before starting to crank the volume.

Well, the fact is that I didn't understand what "cranking the volume" according to him meant.

Hence, I've been extremely careful and have been listening to music at really low levels (30-40 on the Krell 400Xi integrated amp) since I do not want to damagae the speakers.

Am I being over cautious?

When can I start playing it at an enoyable volume (say 50-55 on the Krell)?
  • Phil Rose
    • Aug 2000

I seem to recall that the B&W users manual indicated that 10 hours was all that was needed to get the speakers "loosened up". You should be able to crank them up after that without any concequences. Obviously you don't want to blow them up but, there really isn't any good reason not to listen at comfortable levels during the break-in period. No need to baby them.

Comment

• Chris10
      • Apr 2006

Hm, is that specific to the 800-series? There is nothing mentioned in the manual of the 703 regarding any cautious first listening hours. It just says it will get better!

/Chris

Comment

• Boone38
        • Dec 2004

I have had mine for about 3 weeks and have had the volume at high levels a few times already. Although these are not ear bleeding levels, it is enough to fill the room. Not sure what the dealer noted by " cranking it up". I would think that with any new speaker there has to be a time for the drivers and the speaker to become acclimated to the room.
        My thoughts are that he means to not push the drivers hard until the speaker is broke in. Hard to tell what the volume is on the krell but the speakers will tell you when they are being over played.

I have the 1068 and have not had the volume over 72. Although a high number the volume is not. Still waiting for mine to really open up. Playing with the placement and the toe in.

Good Luck

Comment

• audiojunky
          • Mar 2006

I guess the great thing about these speakers is the fact that at even low volumes it fills up the room and the clarity and crispness is present even at low volumes.

Right now I don't even feel the need to increase the volume to over 40 on the Krell, expect a few times when I wanted to increase it a little to say 50 or 55

Comment

• Audiophiliac
            • Apr 2006

You have a warranty, so go for it!

Comment

• drsiebling
              • Jan 2006

Interesting... I would think that you could really blast the speakers after a few weeks. Most hifi mags recommend breaking in speakers with white or pink noise played through the speakers at a fairly high level... I doubt they would make that recommendation if there were any chance it would damage the speakers.

I guess speakers are like a new car... no one can really agree on proper break-in procedures and if they are of any value at all...

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"