X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clepto
    • Feb 2006

5.1 -> 7.1 path

Currently, I'm sporting 602s3 fronts, LCR600 C, and 600s3 surrounds...

When I move to 7.1 in the near future, I'm seriously considering floor standers for the fronts, and moving the 602s to the surrounnds, and 600s to the back...

My dilema is, should I just go ahead and get a 604s3 for the fronts, or mismatch my HT by saving up for an 804s (or 803s) for the fronts...? If I go 604s, I'll be able to do that pretty much right away, in addition to upgrading to rotel separates (1077 amp, to start). If I go the 800 route, I'll get my separates first, and probably wait a few years to get the fronts... and probably will end up with a 2ch amp + fronts at the same time...

Generally speaking, I'm about 60/40 HT/music. The music is about 75% 2 channel, and 25% 5.1
  • Sim reality
    • Aug 2005

If I were in your shoes I would save up to buy the 804s with a HTM3S center...

In general, except for 5.1 channel Music, there is not a lot of effects going though the rear channels and you probably won't notice the speaker mismatch between the front and back (I figure you also have the shape of your ear on you side since the brain already has to deal with a sound mismatch anyways).

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I agree. If you eventually want 800s anyway, I'd just wait until you can get 804s rather than "settle" for 604s now.
      Danish

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

I'd almost agree with what Sim and Danish said, especially about getting the HTM3S center. You really want to have the front 3 speakers match. That being said, if you put your emphasis on HT over music, I don't know that it's really worth your upgrade dollar (given your budget) to get 804's. They're great for music, but I'm not convinced that it's worth that kind of investment for a system that is mostly HT.

Best advise - put your money where *YOU* will get the most satisfaction out of it. Oh, and when you go to demo new speakers, be SURE to listen to the same type of source material that you will at home. If you plan on using them for HT, demo them by watching a movie. It's very easy to get swept away by the 804's when you listen to them on excellent components and playing well-recorded music. But if thats not how you'll use them, don't judge them that way.

Comment

• Clepto
          • Feb 2006

I appreciate the advice. I guess part of me wants to start listening to 2-channel music more often, and my hope would be that the 800s would push me in that direction. That being said, my HT room will eventually be in my basement, where I won't plan on doing most of my music listening...

So maybe I'll go with 604s for the HT, and then down the road, get a separate 2 ch system where I can better enjoy the 800s, and wouldn't have to worry about getting a third speaker.

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

This all depends on how much importance you place on a 7.1 setup versus two-channel. If you choose the 604s3's now you get your full 7.1 HT setup plus a very decent pair of full range (stereo) loudspeakers which you can drive right away as you upgrade your multi-channel amplifier. If you choose the 804S's (803S's) you'll need to live without a 7.1 setup for a while longer plus maintain the status quo with your current mains (602s3's) for stereo as you save up. While you could upgrade your multi-channel amplifier right away and wait for the 80X's, it won't feel like much of an upgrade once you do it and you'll be tempted to make another change somewhere in your system anyway.

I say get the 604s3's and the RMB-1077 (if that is what you prefer) to fully enjoy your system now and plan for another system upgrade down the road. Once you get to the 800 series you are going to need the right equipment to fully realize their potential and that will involve another battery of upgrades all around.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Clepto
              I guess part of me wants to start listening to 2-channel music more often, and my hope would be that the 800s would push me in that direction.
              The 800's would do exactly what you are hoping for and that could be dangerous if you are not prepared for the ugrade frenzy you might find yourself immersed in. It's difficult to stop once your start down the slippery slope. 8O
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"