X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rav934
    • Dec 2005

B&W vs JMlabs

Has anyone compared the 800 series to JMlabs 1027? I have new 804s which I was happy with. Listened to the 1027 today and was very impressed. Details to follow.
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

My dad auditioned some 927Be speakers a couple months back, he was not impressed and decided to keep his N802s. His other option was a pair of the Avalon Ascendant I think.

I have not heard any of the better JM Labs myself, only the lower end models.
    Danish

Comment

• tboooe
      • Jun 2005

I had the chance to listen to the JM Labs Utopias against the 802D. To me, these two speakers sound remarkably siimlar. The beryllium tweeter that JM Labs uses must be pretty close in performance to the recently much maligned diamond tweeter. Both speakers sound very clear with great weight and realism to the vocals. If anything the JM LAbs as slightly more clear and airy. However, the Utopias are more expensive than the B&W. For the money, I felt the 802D was the much better buy. You get 99% of the performance for so much less.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by tboooe
        I had the chance to listen to the JM Labs Utopias against the 802D. To me, these two speakers sound remarkably siimlar. The beryllium tweeter that JM Labs uses must be pretty close in performance to the recently much maligned diamond tweeter. Both speakers sound very clear with great weight and realism to the vocals. If anything the JM LAbs as slightly more clear and airy. However, the Utopias are more expensive than the B&W. For the money, I felt the 802D was the much better buy. You get 99% of the performance for so much less.
        What is this in reference to: "the recently much maligned diamond tweeter"

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by rav934
          Has anyone compared the 800 series to JMlabs 1027? I have new 804s which I was happy with. Listened to the 1027 today and was very impressed. Details to follow.

wouldn't the 803D be the price equivalent of the 1027?

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by dyazdani
            My dad auditioned some 927Be speakers a couple months back, he was not impressed and decided to keep his N802s. His other option was a pair of the Avalon Ascendant I think.

I have not heard any of the better JM Labs myself, only the lower end models.

I love the Micro Utopia, but it's even $6000 (Yikes) that's a lot for a book shelf speaker, I do love it though.

The Grand Utopis is $85000, gosh... I'll take 6 pair of 802D's and have $13000 left over to buy power amps and stuff!

I think the Wilson MAxx II at $44500 is better (just my 2 cents) than the Grand Utopia

Comment

• tboooe
              • Jun 2005

andrew, i was just poking fun given what happened to misterdoggy's tweeters recently...

Comment

• PavelL
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
                I love the Micro Utopia, but it's even $6000 (Yikes) that's a lot for a book shelf speaker, I do love it though.

The Grand Utopis is $85000, gosh... I'll take 6 pair of 802D's and have $13000 left over to buy power amps and stuff!

I think the Wilson MAxx II at $44500 is better (just my 2 cents) than the Grand Utopia
                B&W also make $45000/pair speakers. How would you rate those?

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by PavelL
                  B&W also make $45000/pair speakers. How would you rate those?

I'm not aware of a $45000 B&W product... unless you are talking about the Naut, snails which are $40K I think

Comment

• PavelL
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
                    I'm not aware of a $45000 B&W product... unless you are talking about the Naut, snails which are $40K I think
                    :rofl: O.K. Never mind. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"