X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tec333
    • Jan 2006

microphone on top of b&w speakers?

I would say 99% of B&W owners out there know what I am talking about.

Or at least you have heard stories of people trying to remove the "microphone" on top of your speakers!

I just want to know if a family member/guest/friend/kid has succesfully removed the tweeter from a nautilus/diamond speaker. (I think the old matrix did not look like a mic).

I always thought they were on there a little too flimsy.

Let's hear your audio/ht horror stories...tweeter taken out, shipping damage, dropped it on it's side while unpacking, cat used it as a scratch post etc...
  • Cowanrg
    • Feb 2004

after having UPS completely demolish a pair of velodyne HGS15x's in shipment, i stopped selling audio stuff for awhile. (they didnt pay the claim!).

i just recently sold a pair of B&W 803D's to a gent out in california, and he called me when they showed up and said "robert, did they have a hole in the side of the box when you shipped them?". i used DHL this time, because their claims process is better (they dont deny everything like UPS). it turns out the speaker was just fine, it just punched a hole in the box, but not packing.

but ive seen amps die on a pair of 802's and smelled a nice burned plastic/metal smell. it was the smell of dead voice coils.

edit:

you dont want the tweeter to be rigidly coupled to the cabinet. that would transmit the vibrations to the tweeter. its flimsy because it is not coupled to the cabinet for acoustic reasons.

Comment

• snowball
      • Feb 2006

yeah,the 802 are certainly amp killers!

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

The "microphone" is always the first thing my friends kids go for when they come over.

When I moved to my house, the tweeter fell off of the nautilus "microphone". It took a little work, but I was able to snap it back in and it works fine.
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Djas_Puhr
          • Jun 2005

I had my mother-in-law go for the tweeter on my N803's. Good thing my spidey sense allowed me to react quickly or I might have had a decapitated 803...

Explaining that the tweeters are not microphones is usually the first thing that I say to a visitor when they come near the speakers but sometimes they're just in there so fast you can't even get the words out! :O)
          "Don't mock the speakers... They have you surrounded." :

Comment

• jim777
            • Mar 2005

Why to people always want to play on our nevres touching our mucho$$$$ speakers anyway?? :B

No fingers in the FST speaker please!

Comment

• Fraise
              • Dec 2004

you guys should be thankful you dont have electrostatic speakers. people just love to touch and poke. whilte they're not fragile its certainly annoying.

Comment

• EastCoaster
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by tec333
                Or at least you have heard stories of people trying to remove the "microphone" on top of your speakers!
                Not a horror story (yet) but may get a kick out of this... I'm moving apartments, and my current one is being shown to prospective tenants... I'm out of town at the moment and all I can think about are my 5 "microphones" being handled, touched, pried off by idiots who are walking around my pad... I think if anything happens to them I will just scream!

Comment

• jim777
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by EastCoaster
                  Not a horror story (yet) but may get a kick out of this... I'm moving apartments, and my current one is being shown to prospective tenants... I'm out of town at the moment and all I can think about are my 5 "microphones" being handled, touched, pried off by idiots who are walking around my pad... I think if anything happens to them I will just scream!
                  Put big DO-NOT-TOUCH signs on them if you want to make sure they get torned off :rofl:

Comment

• tec333
                    • Jan 2006

eastcoaster,

i would hate to be in your shoes...all those people molesting your babies :cry:

Comment

• EastCoaster
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by tec333
                      eastcoaster,

i would hate to be in your shoes...all those people molesting your babies :cry:
                      Well, I got back home and went around to see if each "microphone" is still in tact - and everything seems to be A-okay! <wiping sweat from brow> :T

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                        • Mar 2005

Nope. Never had an incident. My guests and family members know better. To me it's poor manners to be reaching and grabbing for stuff that's not yours and without asking for permission. I can understand kids doing this but adults?

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"