X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

B&W Custom Theater Range?

So has anyone had a chance to listen to these speakers yet? I'm not sure if I like the looks of them or not... but if they are based on the 800 series, then hopefully they would sound pretty good. I'll have to go check these out. :T

Any thoughts?

Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • shaky
    • Jan 2006

ttt for you

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
      So has anyone had a chance to listen to these speakers yet? I'm not sure if I like the looks of them or not... but if they are based on the 800 series, then hopefully they would sound pretty good. I'll have to go check these out. :T

Any thoughts?

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/...0Theatre%20800
      The CT series is an in-wall series (Yes sir, I'm not kidding) the pictured speakers on that link you have, are designed to be installed in walls... kinda like an 800D with higher out-put capability but you can't see it...

Aurant in Salt Lake has a system up and going, i've been told it sounds unreal!

Comment

• chinets
        • Jun 2005

If these CT speakers have the same specs as the 800 series and the power to drive these speakers are 500-1000w compared to 200-250w for most of the 800 series. Which is worth buying: The 800 series or the CT series.?? They both have the FST and the Rohacell etc.. but without the perfect wood finishing of the 800 series. But if one doesn't care about the the looks except the performance would the CT be superior to the 800 series or the same?????
        Why would they make such a big fuss about the 800 series when the CT series could deliver the same with more power and higher out put?? Can someone explain this to us in this forum please???

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I read somewhere that the CT series was their cost no object solution.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• chinets
            • Jun 2005

What are their cost???????????????? And are they better than 800 series??????????

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by chinets
              If these CT speakers have the same specs as the 800 series and the power to drive these speakers are 500-1000w compared to 200-250w for most of the 800 series. Which is worth buying: The 800 series or the CT series.?? They both have the FST and the Rohacell etc.. but without the perfect wood finishing of the 800 series. But if one doesn't care about the the looks except the performance would the CT be superior to the 800 series or the same?????
              Why would they make such a big fuss about the 800 series when the CT series could deliver the same with more power and higher out put?? Can someone explain this to us in this forum please???
              800 series is a floor standing speaker designed to sit (like every big floor stander) at least a 1 1/2 feet from any wall (or more) and act as a conventioal high quality speaker...

The CT series is a custom in-wall product, designed to have the room built around the speakers. The CT series is designed and engineered to sit in the wall and use the walls boundary as an extending baffle. This is very different than the way 800 series is designed. VERY different.

The CT series has a different tweeter

The CT series has no fancy wood finishes (because it's in the wall)

The CT series has an active (external) cross-over system

The CT series is engineered for different applications (movies)

it's a completely different product than 800 series, it's also about $15k a speaker across the front.

Comment

• chinets
                • Jun 2005

Mr. Ward,
                Thanks for your prompt response. Wow, that's expensive, but are they better than the 800 series if the price of these speakers are so high??????????
                How do they sound compared to the 800 series in terms of music first, then please compare them with 800 series for HT??????? Now which is better?????????
                Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Chinets

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                  • Apr 2005

Mr. Ward,
                  Thanks for your prompt response. Wow, that's expensive, but are they better than the 800 series if the price of these speakers are so high??????????
                  How do they sound compared to the 800 series in terms of music first, then please compare them with 800 series for HT??????? Now which is better?????????
                  Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Chinets

They have a similar sonic feel to the 800D but they are capable of about twice the SPL.

Properly installed they sound better than darn near anything ever made.

Comment

• chinets
                    • Jun 2005

Well I'm amazed NOW!!!! Wish I had heard of all of this before I put money into my 800 series!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                      • Apr 2006

The owner of the shop I work for listened to the CT system and was impressed. I believe the whole system is right around $125k-$150k for 7.1? Spendy, but up there with the best Synthesis system, which is also impressive. Just my .02

Comment

• PavelL
                        • Sep 2005

Well I'm amazed NOW!!!! Wish I had heard of all of this before I put money into my 800 series!!!!!!!!!!
                        And no diamonds - no B&W boys' best friends there. They almost got me convinced with the "must-have diamonds" compaign. And now what?!?!? I don't trust nobody anymore

Comment

• chinets
                          • Jun 2005

PaveIL,
                          I agree with you!!!!!!! But the cost of these speakers as Audiophiliac put it is outrageous!! $125K-$150K for 7.1 system is a bit too steep ,don't you think??
                          I really thought the 800 series was top of the line!! I guess not!!! But are these CT series good for listening to DVD-A JAZZ and Classic music besides HT is something for me to experience if that is true. Maybe better and great for HT, but would they be great for Music listening such as Jazz etc.. Is another story??? I can't answer that question ,as I never heard any CT series in person. Are they better than 800 series in Music too????

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                            • Apr 2006

I would place the CT series in the "For dedicated theater" category. Sure you can listen to multichannel music and even 2 channel stuff. But they are really designed for theater applications.

Comment

• PavelL
                              • Sep 2005

PaveIL,
                              I agree with you!!!!!!! But the cost of these speakers as Audiophiliac put it is outrageous!! $125K-$150K for 7.1 system is a bit too steep ,don't you think??
                              I really thought the 800 series was top of the line!! I guess not!!! But are these CT series good for listening to DVD-A JAZZ and Classic music besides HT is something for me to experience if that is true. Maybe better and great for HT, but would they be great for Music listening such as Jazz etc.. Is another story??? I can't answer that question ,as I never heard any CT series in person. Are they better than 800 series in Music too????
                              I really think that higher price does NOT always mean better performance. Just go to the B&W site and see for yourself that the CT 800 series is placed right between the 800 and 700 series, not above the 800 ser. I do not have an explanation as to why it is SO expensive. BUT still it makes sense - imagine having to service a built-in speaker. The one in exquisite interiors - a blown crossover component might mean lots of $$$ for room remodeling. So B&W had to take steps to make these speakers suitable for such installations. Crossovers with equalization /!!!/ are external. You can not play with speaker placement /when built-in / so B&W had to make some arrangements - the speak. mid and HF drivers are in a dedicated pod /a Marlan head equivalent/ - its orientation is adjustable /again a necessary feature for built-in speak./ The cabinet is a closed-box - no flowport there/again to be built-in/. So they most likely had to use more powerful magnets for the LF drivers. Extras that justify additional $$$. Watched Madonna in "Swept away"? Remember "the proprietor of goods can set any price that he or she sees fit and shall not be at the mercy of any moral or ethical issues" :lol: A brief reminder of the basic law of capitalism. Comes from Moscow from someone who was born to become a communist :lol:

Comment

• chinets
                                • Jun 2005

PaveIL,
                                I still agree with you!!!! But do you think with music the CT series would sound better than 800 series In Music???? I can understand they would be better in HT and its likes, but what about a straight comparison between both ,with Jazz music, for example In DVD-A mode...Now which would be better????
                                I understand now what PavIL explained reagrding all the technology put into the CT series for high end Interior cabinets and walls etc to justify the cost ,which makes sense ,and very interesting Info from PaveIL..Thanks for this valuable interesting Info. especially comming from a communist who understands capitalism!!! Very impressive ,and I was just kidding about the communist thing.
                                Love to visit Russia In the near future, because I'm impressed with your culture and history, In addition to your beautiful country.
                                Best wishes,
                                Thanks for your Information,
                                Chinets

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

its cost-no-object. someone who could afford this would probably also have a dedicated 2 channel.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by PavelL
                                    I really think that higher price does NOT always mean better performance. Just go to the B&W site and see for yourself that the CT 800 series is placed right between the 800 and 700 series, not above the 800
                                    The list of B&W speakers on the site is not in order of quality.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

15k per SPEAKER?

Ok... now when the 802s house $200 woofers, in $2000 wood cabinets, what on earth makes these line of SPEAKERS cost 15 k each?

No fancy 1000$ diamond tweeters, no fancy sea shell shapes, what gives?
                                      B&W

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

This is all a guesstimate, but I think it is pretty good.

You have to figure that dealer cost of say, an 800D us around $12k, and the dealer makes 8$k for themselves. So, in order for b&w to make money over productions costs, overhead and delivery, there is a good markup.

Plus, in every marketing class you learn that price is often a marketing tactic, that is used to associate itself with high-end. Its a psychological thing where consumers think that if it is more expensive it has got to be better.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Correct! Being in Audio sales for 8 years now, one learned many many moons ago... cost to dealers is about half.... accys... much much cheaper.

But so be-it huh? We all know it, and we all fall victim to it!

It cost more, gotta be better!! :T
                                          B&W

Comment

• Wesley
                                            • Jan 2005

I have a pair of 803D's. My wife wants me to have custom cabinetry built to house my components and hide my speakers (i.e. flush to the wall cabinetry behind grillcloth).

They are currently floorstanding about 40cm from the wall. Based on some comments made above, I am concerned that enclosing them in cabinetry recessed in the wall will pose serious sonic issues. Is this a non-starter or do I have some options?

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"