X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Subwoofer behind a seat?

Ok, please don't kill me, I know this is probably a nono subject, and mods feel free to smite my post down if need be. But I am perplexed by this idea. I am ready to put a sub in my crew cab chevrolet pickup, and behind the rear seat seems to be a popular place to put them. I have never put a sub in a pickup truck, but am I the only one that thinks this sounds really weird? Having the cone of the subwoofer aim directly into the back of a seat? Would this not totally screw up the air flow? Or does the seat actually "breathe" ok enough? Like I said I know vehicle audio is probably a nono subject, but this pure subwoofer theory is what I was getting at. I mean, we wouldn't face our HT subs right into the back of the couch would we?
    -Chuck
  • kejolly
    • Jan 2006

impala,

you will be fine doing this...granted it is not ideal but neither is the placement of many car audio components.

By the way, here is a better place to ask car audio questions
    A forum community dedicated to all mobile audio enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about capacitors, amplifiers, subwoofers, marine and automotive audio, troubleshooting, and more!

Kevin

Comment

• fvoelling
      • Jul 2004

Chuck,

I was actually looking into the same question just last night as my teenage son wants to drive my 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax, and the factory stereo just won't do, of course.

Looks like people either put the sub behind the back seats or in the front center console/seat. Here's an example of an MTX sub box for a Silverado:

Here's a more detailed brochure with better pics:

Kevin, thx for the link, I have lots of other car audio questions as well.

Regards,
      Frank

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the responses guys, and the link. I may try looking into putting them under the rear seats if possible too.
        -Chuck

Comment

• bonehead848
          • Apr 2007

The seats shouldnt impede the airflow enough to matter. I imagine it will be just like a little dampening material. I have heard subs in that position a number of times and they sound fine.

Comment

• dumaresq
            • Mar 2008

I had a sub that fired directly into the back seat of a car I had, it sounded totally fine and I never damaged the sub. If I wanted to I could fold down the seats because the car had them... I never did... never felt I needed it...

Comment

• niget2002
              • Aug 2007

When it comes to subs in cars, you're usually so close to it that it doesn't matter where you stick it.

Most of the time, there's so much vehicle noise, you don't get much definition in the sound anyways... it's mostly all "feel".

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"