X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

B&W vs Aerial Acoustics?

Has anyone ever compared Aeriel Acoustics speakers to B&W? Just wanted an opinion, if anyone has one handy.
  • aphexist
    • Jan 2004

What is your price range? What B&W model and what Aerial model are you comparing?

Comment

• grit
      • Jan 2005

Sorry, should have put that in. I'm probably considering the Aerial Acoustic 7b vs the B&W 804S or 8043S. Based on that decission, I'll replace my center channel to the corresponding match.

Comment

• JKalman
        • Nov 2005

hehe, what kind of answer are you expecting on a B&W fan club forum. We all love our speakers of course.

Comment

• aphexist
          • Jan 2004

I am considering replacing a pair of B&W N804s with a pair of Aerial Model 9s.

The improvement for me is mainly in the bass response. I haven't had a chance to listen to anything in my own room, but all of my experince is positive. I might just end up saving for the 20Ts since the dealer here discounts so aggressively.

Comment

• grit
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by JKalman
            hehe, what kind of answer are you expecting on a B&W fan club forum. We all love our speakers of course.
            Yeah, I know, but I was still hoping to get opinions. Perhaps why someone picked B&W over Aerial Acoustics.

aphexist - Thanks for your response. Quite the price hike though. How do the 7B's compare to your 804's (more comperable in price I believe?)?

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

Having heard the 804(older version vs a set of Aeriels 7b's) I can say that it depends on your preference. Aeriels were SMOOTH to me while B&W's were a more "in your face" type sound.

Some like vanilla, some like chocolate.

One thing I will say is that I felt the Aerial center channel and cabinet work was far better than B&W. The finish work on Aerials is something else.

Comment

• grit
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                Having heard the 804(older version vs a set of Aeriels 7b's) I can say that it depends on your preference. Aeriels were SMOOTH to me while B&W's were a more "in your face" type sound.

Some like vanilla, some like chocolate.

One thing I will say is that I felt the Aerial center channel and cabinet work was far better than B&W. The finish work on Aerials is something else.
                The only Aeriel's I got to hear so far was their "System 1", which I understand is based on 9B's. It was remarkably clear. When the volume was turned up higher and higher, the loudness increased, but it never felt unpleasant, uncomfortable or too loud. I just remember thinking it was impressive. Certainly not an 'apples to apples' comparrison, especially since it was a movie. I'd LOVE to try a sit-down for a few hours with some music.

Can you offer some more detail on "in your face" vs "smooth"? I'm use to hearing some of the high-end audio lingo, but I never know what to make of it. Someone says "bright" and I think lighting. They say "harsh" and I think cold weather. I wish we had a glossary for this hobby.

Comment

• aphexist
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by grit
                  Yeah, I know, but I was still hoping to get opinions. Perhaps why someone picked B&W over Aerial Acoustics.

aphexist - Thanks for your response. Quite the price hike though.
                  For what its worth, the local dealer in my current location discounts the entire Aerial line (as well as Bryston) very aggressively...up to 45%. This is the only reason I am able to consider this upgrade.

I didn't listen to the 7Bs, just the 9Bs driven by a pair of Bryston monoblocks. As I mentioned, the bass was deep and nearly subsonic on the 9Bs. I've found that I've started to dislike the midrange of the 804s with time; they seemed raspy in comparison. The 9Bs sounded more natural. The high frequencies were on par with the 804s, which was the reason I like the Nautilus range so much in the first place.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

Can you offer some more detail on "in your face" vs "smooth"?
                    Smooth being not overly agressive and easy to listen to for hours.
                    In your face means calling attention to itself and slapping you in the face. It's also called Forward or not balanced.

Bright to me means fatiguing or excessive sibilance.

If I could afford them I would buy Aerials. I could listen to them for hours.

One thing that does make a slight difference is the Aerial line takes more amp juice than the B&W line. B&W's are much more forgiving to an amp than Aerials.

Comment

• grit
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                      Smooth being not overly agressive and easy to listen to for hours.
                      In your face means calling attention to itself and slapping you in the face. It's also called Forward or not balanced.

Bright to me means fatiguing or excessive sibilance.

If I could afford them I would buy Aerials. I could listen to them for hours.

One thing that does make a slight difference is the Aerial line takes more amp juice than the B&W line. B&W's are much more forgiving to an amp than Aerials.
                      Thanks, that clears it up quite a bit. Good to know too about the amp requirements. LOL, and I thought the B&W's were a tough group to run!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"