X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richy
    • Jul 2005

room size for 602s3

hi to all new to internet forums i listend to a set of 602s3 today they sounded great but how do they sound close to a wall only after did i read they need free spcace my room is not that big i will be sat 5 foot from speakers more if they can be close to the wall many thanks richy
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I've had the 601s which are just a bit smaller. The good thing is that these two are front ported, so the sound does not change as much as the DM600s change when close to a wall. But the bass does open up a lot more when these speakers (601 & 602) are further away from the way. It doesn't have to be much, but if you can keep at least 2ft in separation from the speaker to the wall, you will get a cleaner and deeper bass.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• srb
      • Oct 2004

Almost every speaker I have heard sounded better 2-3 feet from the wall. Unfortunately, I also have a small room and cannot place them that far away.

The 602s are front ported, and may do better than a rear ported design if you have to place them close to a wall (the exception being speakers that are actually designed for close-wall bass reinforcement).

That being said, I had my 602s about one foot from the wall, and found the bass was too boomy. I tried the included foam port plugs ("bungs" in B&W speak), and although that did decrease the bass output, the bass sounded more solid, less boomy and more enjoyable.

I then experimented with using a rectangular piece of 1/2" thick foam, cut to size so that the ends just met when rolled into a tube. The tube was a good compromise between the unplugged port and the solid plug, letting out some of the bass.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"