X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

Spend your next savings: How?

I am sure to get a biased result on such a poll, but it may confirm that I am not alone in this difficult decision: If I can save enough, how should I spend my next savings?

Should I buy top speakers (and if I don't, can I stop thinking about doing it), or spread my savings to other life hobbies or necessities?

Multiple answers possible, this would indicate that the decision is not taken between the selections, but in reality only 1 of these can be bought in the upcoming future.

Maybe I am trying to combat upgradeitis, or just trying to justify it!

Thanks
    Christophe
    Top L/R speakers (80x)
    17.07%
    Great multiple speakers (80x,70x)
    4.88%
    Other HiFi / Video components
    29.27%
    New or additional car
    4.88%
    Family luxury holiday
    9.76%
    House extension or add-ons
    9.76%
    Other family or personal hobbies
    4.88%
    Retirement plan
    12.20%
    Other
    7.32%
  • JCL
    • Apr 2005

Hmmm I will buy a reciver first, after B&W 600 series. But I'm 16 almost 17 en your a little older I think

Will I can't look in to you financial status but a retirment plan is always a good investment (specially in de US) but If that is fine already, go for the speakers or other component of your hifi set.

Comment

• georgev
      • Jul 2004

If you can't stop thinking about it, then go for the speakers(top ones).
      You only live once(on earth). If you saved up the dough then why not.

Comment

• csuzor
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by georgev
        If you can't stop thinking about it, then go for the speakers(top ones).
        You only live once(on earth). If you saved up the dough then why not.
        Thanks for the advice, but it's not that easy. You only live once, but you could live a long long time, and you often live with a family that has their own priorities that you cannot ignore, and some investments actually appreciate over time unlike speakers, etc...
        I believe I am not the only one who could probably spend the cash but is spending sleepless nights over the thought. (a slight exaggeration, but not by much)
        On this forum I have seen many good and not so good suggestions, all the way to divorce or selling the kids or eating only bread and water!
        It's all good fun anyway.
        Christophe

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I think the key to anything you do in life is moderation. You need to set a budget of something that is affordable and stick to it. I would recommend that all your speakers are in the same series. So, decide on your upgrade based on your budget. that would include not only speakers, but if you get 802's or whatever, you have to consider quality components as well. try and build the best balanced system for your budget. If you don't, then an upgrade of a pair of speakers will end up leading to breaking the budget by having unbalanced pieces.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I believe that if you want something bad enough that you will find a way to get it. I decided awhile back that I wanted a full Nautilus system, so, without taking any money from the family funds, I took a little extra cash that I had and started buying and selling used audio equipment, I would find them at good deals and sell them at a profit. I then would set that profit aside, and re-invest the principle, I did this several times and ended up with my system that I wanted in 6 months plus ended up with the intial cash invested back in my pocket times three. Another plus to all of this was that I got to play around with all kinds of different equipment basicly for free.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• georgev
              • Jul 2004

The assumption Christophe, is that the needs and wants have been differentiated and the needs have been catered for or are being catered for, e.g. your RA's , kids education, etc.
              The wants then come in. Then the differentiation b/w the wants. Mind you as you get top speakers, the whole system needs to change but this can be done over time. As soundgravy has said, if you want sth. bad enough you will find a way. You must know your limitations though.
              Perhaps I was too blase or short with my previous post.
              But you did say savings.

Comment

• csuzor
                • Nov 2004

Quick analysis:
                22 voters and 36 options, so maybe half of the voters still have to decide on their next purchase priorities.

First surprise comes from the dominance of "Top L/R speakers" over "Great multiple speakers"... seems few people plan to spread their money to multiple speakers at once, and perhaps the preference is to buy just a pair, and send the front speakers to the rear? I guess few can afford to buy 5 or more great speakers at a time.

Next surprise, 22 voters but only 9 with speaker priorites... Many prefer to upgrade the electronics next (or buy missing components), rather than purchase better speakers.

Thanks for your votes!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"