X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • qvintpe
    • Apr 2005

amp for B & W 705 's

Hello

I have B & W 705 's as front speakers and a Sony av-receiver. I listen to stereo CD:s but also multichannel SACD:s etc.

The listening room is quite small and I do not need much power/volyme.

I am not quite happy with the Sony -stereo sound and yesterday at home I listened to Rotel 1062. The sound improved very much.

My problem is that I would like to have the Rotel 1062 but also possibility to have multichannel SACD- music (and HT).

Is there a Rotel av-receiver/amp that would be as good for my 705 's as Rotel 1062 seems to be.

Is there any other solutions. Another av-amp/brand that sounds as good as Rotel 1062 in stereo for 705's.

If the answer is "no". Could I have two amps (Sony-av and Rotel -1062 stereo) and connect them to the same front speakers ? I do not know much about this kind of connections.

What do you recommend ?
  • JCL
    • Apr 2005

Witch Sony do you use? You could try a STR-VA5000ES or a TA9000ES (it's not cheap at €4000 about $5000) but will make you smille for the rest of your life

I belive that Rotel makes little 5.1 recivers / amps but most people I read about that do have a 5.1 rotel setup use 2 amp (pre / pro). It is also an option for you. Just use your Sony as pre amp and a new Rotel for the rest.

Comment

• perato
      • Jan 2005

What is your budget? If you choose Rotel (or most other European brands) you will have to use multichannel analog connection. Other brands, particularly Japanese such as Denon, allow you to pass DVD-A/SACD via Firewire digitally. I use 705/HTM7/DS7/ASW 650 w/ Onkyo TX-SR701 and Denon DVD-3910. I use the multichannel analog connections.

If you want to connect the 705 to the Sony & Rotel amplifiers simultaneously, you will need a special switch such as some dealers use to connect multiple speakers to multiple amplifiers.

How much amplifier wattage do you want? I have read that music contains 20 dB dynamic range, which equates to 104 watts into 8 ohms/208 watts into 4 ohms/416 watts into 2 ohms. Since the 705 has a minimum resistance of 4.6 ohms, 208 watts into 4 ohms might be all you need if your room is not large and is not acoustically dead.

If I had money to burn, I might buy the Denon AVR-4806 (US$3500). The 4806 has Firewire, Audyssey Multi EQ (which, according to Audioholics' preliminary review, is an excellent EQ system), and is THX Ultra2 certified for 130 watts into 8 ohms. Since it is THX Ultra2 certified, I think it should be capable of 208 watts into 4 ohms.

Audioholics has a review of the DVD-3910 and the DVD-2910.

Of course, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.
      In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• JCL
        • Apr 2005

Hmmm, is it me? Denon is German right? Not Japanees? I'm 99% sure of it...

Comment

• qvintpe
          • Apr 2005

Hello

Thanks for your comments so far!

I think that for budget reasons I will have to do as JCL told. I would use the av-receiver as a pre amp and the new Rotel 1062 for the rest. Is the sound quality for stereo then as good as using only Rotel 1062. Is there any loss of quality?

My problem is that my Sony is model STR DB 790 which has the line signal output only for subwoofer. So I have to swap that to some other av-receiver(with line outputs) when I buy the Rotel. Anyway that is a minor investment compared to buying a 3000 euro av-reciever which would be as good as the Rotel in stereo.

What about perato's " dealer special switch" option . Where can I buy that kind of switch? That would probably be the best and easiest solution for me but where can I have one.

Comment

• Parsonsk
            • Nov 2004

No Denon is from Japan and i'm 100% sure. check out their website.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"