X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RacerChris
    • Oct 2004

HTM 1 Owners Please chime in...

Just bought a used HTM1 to replace my HTM2. Initial impression: WOW!

But I noticed something odd. The frame of the FST driver is movable and the gasket around the speaker is not fully seated. In other words, the gasket only goes only part way around the frame and the frame can be pushed in and out. The frame of the FST driver on my 804s are fixed - I am not refering to the the cone; but the frame around the cone.

Is there something wrong with my HTM1? I thought it maybe designed differently from the 804s because there is not silver cap on the back which I understand is to adjust the fixity of the speaker to the cabinet.
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

Yes there is a silver cap!!!! If it's missing, that is not good!!!!

Comment

• RacerChris
      • Oct 2004

Well, I don't know which speaker you are looking at but my Nautilus HTM1 does not have a silver cap on the back like my Nautilus 804s. There is no room for it, the speaker terminals are directly behind the FST driver and there is no indication of anything missing. Are we talking about the massive center speaker by B&W?

Comment

• Jeff
        • Dec 2004

There should be a small round silver plate very close to the binding posts. It's there. Just look a little closer. It's about the size of a nickle.

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

Photos would help the cause I think...

Comment

• RacerChris
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Jeff
            There should be a small round silver plate very close to the binding posts. It's there. Just look a little closer. It's about the size of a nickle.
            Yes, you are absolutely right! It's there and intacted. But it shows signs of use, ie, gouges in the metal as if someone used the wrong size screwdriver!

So, I guess the FST driver is not suppose to be loose and it's out of alignment. Can anyone confirm that there does not move in/out when you push on the black frame around the Kelvar cone?

Comment

• Jeff
              • Dec 2004

it's sold as a rock! Does your feel loose from the back end? Does it move when you move the black rubber surround which surrounds the midrange?

Comment

• RacerChris
                • Oct 2004

it's sold as a rock! Does your feel loose from the back end? Does it move when you move the black rubber surround which surrounds the midrange?

Ah, figured it out. It was loose. Took it apart, reset the gasket, then tightened the screw on the back. Now it's rock solid.

One last question. Does the amount of tension on the screw matter? Is it a mounting screw or an adjustment screw? If mounting screw, then why did B&W decide to do it this way, rather then like the woofers which have front accessible mounting screws???

Comment

• Jeff
                  • Dec 2004

It's my understanding it acts as both mounting screw and a frequency adjustment screw. I had the midrange surround replaced before I purchased my N802. The dealer said it's also used to calibrate the midrange. So I wouldn't over tighten it.

You may want to contact a dealer as well as sending B&W an email explaining your situation. It may or may not be an issue.

Comment

• RacerChris
                    • Oct 2004

It's my understanding it acts as both mounting screw and a frequency adjustment screw. I had the midrange surround replaced before I purchased my N802. The dealer said it's also used to calibrate the midrange. So I wouldn't over tighten it.

You may want to contact a dealer as well as sending B&W an email explaining your situation. It may or may not be an issue.

Thanks for the reply. I took your advice and received the following response:

-----Original Message-----
                    Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 6:53 AM
                    To: christaplin@comcast.net
                    Subject: Re: B&W Consumer : Technical Query

Dear Chris,

Thank you for purchasing B&W! The slotted screw on the back of the Nautilus
                    HTM1 does affect midrange tension, and this does affect performance. If it is loose, the way to set it is turn it gently just until the point where it begins to show resistance. At this point, give the screw one further quarter-turn to set it in, and this should be the correct tension for the FST midrange drive unit.

Best Regards,
                    Michael Sheehan
                    B&W / Rotel

Comment

• Jeff
                      • Dec 2004

I'm glad the solution didn't include returning it to a dealer for some high priced screw turning. Have fun with you HTM1!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"