X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chief
    • Mar 2005

Advice on Amp for 804S

I have been sampling speakers for several months and finally decided on a pair of the new 804S. I plan to use them with a recently acquired Fujitsu 55" plasma in my family room (13'x24'). My question is what to get to power the speakers. Although I have hopes of someday getting a center channel, we're probably talking a minimum of 1+ years to gain the necessary spousal acceptance. So, I am looking at 2 channels for the near future and maybe longer. One dealer is suggesting a Rotel amp (RB 1080) and processor (RSP 1068). I suspect this will work, and it's probably a relatively low cost option, but am concerned that I'd be selling the speakers short. Another dealer is recommending a McIntosh MA6900. I love the retro look and am impressed with the apparent quality but am concerned that I will need to trade up if, as, and when I can persuade the wife about the center channel. I am also considering a Bryston 6B SST/SP 1.7 combo, which would solve the 3 channel upgrade issue, but the dealer is dumping hard on the SP 1.7 processor (although my research suggests it is a pretty good choice). I would greatly appreciate opinions, experiences and/or suggestions on these and other options.
    Last edited by Chief; 31 March 2005, 23:48 Thursday. Reason: typos
  • Vin
    • Apr 2005

Amp for 804s

I'm using a McCormack DNA-125 which sounds very good to me in my room (which is smaller than yours, 14x15). In a room your size you may want to consider the DNA-225, the difference is 125 w/ch vs. (you guessed it) 225 w/ch. I have used Rotel in the past (RA-1070), but was not really impressed (too bright for me). I have used Acurus as well (really bright! and thin). McCormack is detailed without any accessive brightness, with very good bass depth and punch.

Comment

• Rolex
      • Mar 2005

I'm using Musical Fidelity with fairly good luck. Also, if you can afford it, I think classe would be a much better choice than Rotel. Not to say that Rotel is garbage, it's not, I just think the synergy with the classe would be better. I am running 804S right now with a Musical Fidelity A3, and surprisingly it has enough power. I've demoed the speakers numerous times with the classe amp and pre amp (200 wpc) and it sounded very nice.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Mark Levinson and B&Ws are pretty much like heaven.

All the others mentioned are as well.

If you are concerned about price, get your hands on a Rotel RB-1090 while they're still around, that will push those guys really well.

If you are wanting a NICE multichannel amp, I would suggest the Earthquake CineNova Grande 3/5/7...I heard the 5 bi-amped (that's 335Watts x 2, or a pure 335Watts to the tweeter/mid and 335watts to the bass drivers) to a B&W N802D and it was pretty much heaven, pretty darn close to the ML No. 436, but each had it's differences. ML are a little more smooth, where the Earthquake comes off as a hair bright (which is still easily tollerable and not nearly as bright as a lot of amps).
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Chief
          • Mar 2005

Thanks. I will look into these suggestions. Any views on McIntosh or Bryston?

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

McIntosh are awesome just like the ML. Bryston is very good as well, though it's a little bit brighter than the Rotels are. Some people like that, others don't.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• Phil Rose
              • Aug 2000

The new Bryston SSTs are generally regarded as being extremely neutral. I have the older ST series hooked to my N802s and just love the control and clarity that I get.

The Bryston SP1.7 can be considered a very good analog pre-amp with a processor added on. If you're looking for very good 2-channel performance this will deliver over the Rotel and many others. Bryston has indicated that there is a DSP upgrade in the pipe that can be installed on current SP1.7s in the future.

Don't forget that the Brystons have a transferable 20 year warranty that is unmatched by the others.

On the subject about using just 2 speakers. You could just use a 2-channel pre-amp and forget about the pre/pro using the stereo analog outputs from your DVD player. Much simpler setup. There doesn't seem to be any reason to have a processor unless you have rear speakers. Also, you might find that you don't need a center channel since the 804s will image quite well. The center will aid if you have many people in the room and they are removed from the sweet spot.

Comment

• Chief
                • Mar 2005

Thanks, everyone. Very helpful.

Comment

• Paul H
                  • Feb 2004

I may have missed or misinterpreted something here, but...

Your initial post talked about using the sound system with a 55" plasma, which would suggest movie/television use. This cries out for surround sound, but subsequent posts talked about stereo sound (no mention of rear or surround speakers).

The brand names being thrown around in this thread can cost some serious money, and will provide very good to superior sound systems.

But if you don't have a surround system for movies, no matter what amp/processor is driving any two front speakers, you're going to miss much of the movie sound experience.

Just a couple more cents ...

Paul

Comment

• Chief
                    • Mar 2005

You are correct. I expect to use the system probably 70% for TV/movies, the rest for music. The challenge is that the wife is death on rear channel speakers in the family room where everything is set up. She also is shocked about the $$ of the speakers, so my approach is to start with 2 speakers and (hopefully) ad a center channel and sub in a year or so. That's why I have some hesitation about getting a 2 channel amp, which seems to lock me in to an upgrade as soon as I am ready for the third channel, let alone the rears (which the wife may never go for). On the other hand, the equipment I am looking at seems to hold its value pretty well so trading up to a 3 channel amp/preamp or surround processer may not be all that painful. What do you think?

Comment

• Phil Rose
                      • Aug 2000

Hmmm....Maybe you could use the 804s speaker for stereo only and get one of these for the surround sound duties under your big plasma. It would seem to be ideal for your situation.

Comment

• Chief
                        • Mar 2005

Interesting idea. I've heard mixed things about the 5 channel in a box speakers and haven't been able to locate the Yamaha to audition it. I'll continue to look for it. Thanks.

Comment

• perato
                          • Jan 2005

Yamaha YSP-1

Audioholics favorably reviewed the Yamaha YSP-1.
                          In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• audioman
                            • Mar 2005

Don't know what your looking to spend on speakers for your centre and surrounds, but with the 804's you can easily get away with HTM2 as a centre and some 805's or SCM1's for you surrounds. I'm currently in the process of selling all my speakers on Ebay. So far I have sold a pair of 804's, 803's, HTM1, HTM2, and a ASW2500. I know that sounds weird having 2 centre's and 2 different floorstanders, but I bought the 803's and HTM1 to go with 2 pair of 804's as my surrounds a few months before the 800 line came out. Since I've heard the 803D's the rest is history. Now I will get to my point. I powered my speakers with the Denon AVR-5803. Now it isn't McIntosh or Krell, but it did a great job with only 170w per channel. This amp has 7 channels and the processing is probally the best in it's price range of $4400. Since the 803D's are going to need class "A" amp, I'm looking to sell my Denon for $2500. If you are interested, I can email you some PICS. If you are concerned about me you can email and talk to soundgravy on Ebay. He is the one responsable for selling the speakers for me. Some of the guys on this forum would know who he is as well. Let me know and good luck to you in the future.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"