Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • javis
    • Jun 2004

Just thought I'd Share - DM3000's

Does anyone out there own or ever listened to the B&W DM3000? I stumbled across a pair 2 days ago in an ad which had just been listed so I immediately made an appointment to see them. They were in excellent cosmetic condition considering their age but more importantly the drivers looked perfect. They had definitely been treated with the respect they deserve. The guy even had the original brochure. It took 2 minutes of auditioning and my offer was on the table and reluctantly accepted. After we loaded the last speaker into my van I looked at the gentleman as he gave his babies a last silent farewell. He turned to me and said in a soft spoken voice almost teary eyed “good times, very very good times”. As there was no appropriate verbal response, I silently assured him with a facial expression that suggested his babies were going to be looked after.
    Now these speakers really are in another league compared to what I have been listening to. I won’t even attempt a review suffice to say that the definition in the mid to upper spectrum of sound is just so detailed, so clean and so neutral. Bass is tight and authoritative. The overall sound imagery just draws you into the music. I managed to listen to some Diana Krall, Stacey Kent, Fourplay and even a little Satriani and every track I played sounded like I was listening to it for the first time. The best way to describe it is that I found myself listening to the music as opposed to scrutinizing my sound system.
    I now understand why Bower & Wilkins are at the forefront of speaker development. If this is what they were capable of 16 plus years ago then I can only imagine what the nautilus range sounds like today. I believe that original year of manufacture was mid 80’s using laser optimized Kevlar driver units, electronic time delay, computer-optimized crossover network ensuring accurate classic 4th order Butterworth characteristics etc, etc,etc.
    As I have never had the pleasure of auditioning any of the B&W range I am in no position to draw a parallel comparism. I would however for the sake of knowledge be very interested in getting some kind of comparism between the DM3000 and its equivalent within the B&W range today, if anyone out there cares to share.
  • sugarmedia
    • Feb 2005

Get me a tissue... I think I'm gonna cry after reading this tear jerker.

Comment

• javis
      • Jun 2004

Received a reply back from Stephen at B&W in relation to what series and model would be a worthy replacement.….Yes I spared him the melodramatics!

“It is difficult to describe an exact model as what we have today are quite different to your DM3000's. However, I am confident that a model from the 700 series should be on your shortlist, for example the 703's or 704's as either model is a worthy replacement”.

Just thought I'd share!

Comment

• stantheman2
        • Apr 2004

I bought a pair of DM 3000s new in 1985. I just sold them 2 years ago. Man, I loved those speakers. Accurate, open and dynamic - and cool looking! I only sold them because I had to get rid of my 2-channel gear as I moved into home theater. At the time, I had no space for both a stereo setup and a home theater setup. I tried working with the 3000s, but I e-mailed B&W and they said none of their newer speakers was a good match with the 3000s in a home theater setting. So, I now run B&W 600 Series 2. However, I do miss the old obelisks. One thing - they do benefit from good electronics. In a stereo setup, I was using a Luxman preamp and Apt Holman amp ($1600 1985 dollars) and it sounded great. When I tried driving them with a $700 Denon HT receiver, it just wasn't the same.

Enjoy those puppies!

Comment

• javis
          • Jun 2004

Stantheman2
          Do you remember what the 3000’s set you back?
          They take quite a nudge before the Overload protection circuit kicks in!
          I’m using an AVR 3805 as a preamp, powering them with an Electra Reference amp, 2 Channels at 250W into 8ohms (AUD$3500). I want to eventually acquire a high quality stereo preamp, as I'm sure this will further improve the sound quality. The plan being to have a seperate 2 channel stereo set up.

Comment

• stantheman2
            • Apr 2004

As I recall, they were $1,900 USD per pair in 1985. There were two models in the range, the DM2000 and the DM 3000. The 2000 was smaller, only one woofer instead of the woofer and mid woofer in the 3000. They were only made by B&W for two years, 1985 and 1986. They got rave reviews at the time. The shape of the cabinet was an early attempt by B&W to manage the sound waves coming off the back of the speakers. They also incorporated an electronic time delay in the crossover, so that the tweeter and woofers were in phase as they radiated outwards into the room. The only real problem the speakers had were that the early production runs used a plastic top piece, which sagged over time. B&W replaced it with a glass top for most of the production run.

The speakers were slotted just below B&W's top of the line 801 and 802 speakers at the time, so in terms of price and quality they are analogous to the 700 series today.

Comment

• junior77blue
              • Nov 2004

These speakers are before my time. Are there any photos avialble?

Is there a 'history' of b&w speakers? Of when various models came out, original retail price, duration of production, etc...

Comment

• Fife
                • Apr 2004

I beleive they were just under the Matrix series.
                I think the CDMs/First Gen Matrix replaced the many DM series if I recall correclty.

Original Matrix Series --> Matrix 800 -> Nautilus 800/Signature 800 -> 800 Series

DM Series ----> CDM -----------> CDM NT ------------> 700 Series

Comment

• javis
                  • Jun 2004

Here's a couple of photos.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Fife
                    • Apr 2004

Javis, even though they are somewhat dated, they are in pretty damn good condition.

Now just stay home adn listen to music......and dont go any B&W dealer anytime soon.

Comment

• caleb
                      • Aug 2004

Just talking about "old" speakers, for the first time today I saw and heard the original Matrix speakers and they did sound excellent to say that the technology is old by today's standards and they would give most modern speakers a good run for the money.

Just shows how B&W are street ahead of the competition.

Comment

• javis
                        • Jun 2004

Question based on a dedicated 2 channel stereo set up!

As I stated earlier I am using my denon 3805 as a pre, (since I have a 2 channel stereo amp). I am relatively certain a pre amp would further enhance the quality of sound being reproduced from DM3000’s however I don’t know to what degree.
                        Since I plan to build a strong foundation (equipment wise) with the scope of eventually getting into the Nautilus range what pre amp would suffice based on your own experiences?

Comment

• Sune
                          • Apr 2005

Tweeter unit for the DM3000?

Hi,

I just joined HTGuide and this forum, trying to find information on the B&W DM3000s. I live in Copenhagen, and about a month ago I no less than found a trashed pair of DM3000s. (There is a shed in my backyard for people to dump large-size trash, and somebody had left these speakers there along with almost an entire stereo, the cd-player being overtly defect.) I didn't know of this B&W model but I knew that B&W makes excellent speakers, and since the units and the speakers as such seemed to be in good condition, I thought I might as well try to bring them into my flat and check if they were actually ready to trash or if some jerk had simply bought a new stereo and didn't care to sell or give the old one away. It turned out that the tweeter unit in one of the speakers was silent, but apart from this, everything was alive and kicking! I installed a tweeter from another speaker, just to get sort of an overall impression, and I knew right away that these speakers were something else, having listened to a good many low- and mid-priced B&W speakers before.
                          I've been trying to get hold of an intact tweeter for my new speakers, but apparently they are long out of production. Does anybody have an idea of how I could obtain the right unit or, alternatively, a pair of similar tweeter units that would make an acceptable fit for the DM3000s?

Best regards,
                          Sune S. Mortensen, Copenhagen

Comment

• dOOMY
                            • Dec 2005

DM3000 drivers needed...

Hello fellow DM3000 connoisseurs...
                            This is the only place on the internet where people are talking about the B&W DM3000 speakers so I will have a quick input and request too...
                            I am a B&W user for almost 3 years. My system consist of the 6 series, DM602 S3 in the front, 600 S3 in the rears and a LCR 60 S3 in the middle. 2 months ago I came across a pair of DM3000 speakers and, because the price was really good, I bought them mostly based on their looks (were looking like new....). I had a huge revelation when I installed them at home and found my DM600 S3 sounding like cheap RadioShack speakers compared to the huge DM3000. They really sound like BIG speakers... huge soundstage and oh so sweet midrange...
                            Unfortunately, 2 weeks later, one of the drivers simply died. Took it off and found that the coil is heavily touching the magnet and, as a result, is burnt. I searched the whole internet and eBay and all on-line marketplaces for a replacement driver and the only one I found was through B&W North America and costs 300$ and is black (the original ones are brown). So... life sucks and I'm without hope.
                            Now my question… Is there anybody having any knowledge or information of a BZ200 driver (that's the B&W name of the DM2000/3000 kevlar drivers)? Apparently it's a 15Ohm (?!) driver found in the 1983~1985 B&W DM2000, DM3000 and I believe DM14 too. It's a yellow kevlar driver with a black dust cone. Diameter is 6.5" and is mounted with 6 screws... Any information will be rewarded with sincere tears!
                            Thanks,
                            Serban

Comment

• PavelL
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by caleb
                              Just talking about "old" speakers, for the first time today I saw and heard the original Matrix speakers and they did sound excellent to say that the technology is old by today's standards and they would give most modern speakers a good run for the money.

Just shows how B&W are street ahead of the competition.
                              Or could that mean we should NOT fall prey to agressive marketing And start spending our money on MUSIC. After all good music sounds good even on poor systems, yet no speakers in the world /no matter how good they are/ can do anything to really bad music

Comment

• Wizard-of-Odd
                                • Jun 2005

dOOMY, You might try Speaker Repair & Reconing Service in Denver. Their address is 900 S. Pearl St, Denver, CO 80209. Phone number 303-778-1617. I have dealt with Jim Phillips. They have a fairly good stock of B&W speakers plus they re-cone as well.
                                I love the DM3000's - I have 4.

Hope this helps,
                                Kevin
                                It's fun being the only grownup in the house.

Comment

• dOOMY
                                  • Dec 2005

Wow. Thanks Kevin!

Originally posted by Wizard-of-Odd
                                  dOOMY, You might try Speaker Repair & Reconing Service in Denver. Their address is 900 S. Pearl St, Denver, CO 80209. Phone number 303-778-1617. I have dealt with Jim Phillips. They have a fairly good stock of B&W speakers plus they re-cone as well.
                                  I love the DM3000's - I have 4.

Hope this helps,
                                  Kevin
                                  Hi Kevin. 2006 started actually good with your suggestion! Thank you very much. First thing tomorrow @ resonable hours I'll give them a call. I will let you know of the outcome! Thank you very very much for your help!

Regards,
                                  Serban

Comment

• Scratch
                                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by PavelL
                                    Or could that mean we should NOT fall prey to agressive marketing And start spending our money on MUSIC. After all good music sounds good even on poor systems, yet no speakers in the world /no matter how good they are/ can do anything to really bad music
                                    That's what I say every time I check my bank balence! - I remember reading a while ago (HiFi Choice most likely) a reviewers opinion that the essence of HiFi hadn't changed drastically since the fifties; probably a bit over-simplified, & I certainly can't say I had the pleasure of checking out the best of the crop back then (was that a murmour from the SE clan?) but I'd be interested to hear anyones opinions who have - remember we're talking essence not gear; nuance, aura, imaging etc - don't want a pile of iPOD replies!

Cheers - Scratch

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                      • Jun 2006

I just picked up a pair of DM3000's a few days ago. These things are awesome. The imaging is just outstanding and for the price I don't think that they can be beat.

I am driving them with a 170 WPC receiver but plan on swapping in a 200 wpc QSC PLX amp for a test drive. I hear that these require a lot of power. That is a big change from a pair of Klipsch Belles that I am driving with a pair of 4 wpc SET tube amps.

Chris

Comment

• hansbalt
                                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Sune
                                        Hi,

I just joined HTGuide and this forum, trying to find information on the B&W DM3000s. I live in Copenhagen, and about a month ago I no less than found a trashed pair of DM3000s. (There is a shed in my backyard for people to dump large-size trash, and somebody had left these speakers there along with almost an entire stereo, the cd-player being overtly defect.) I didn't know of this B&W model but I knew that B&W makes excellent speakers, and since the units and the speakers as such seemed to be in good condition, I thought I might as well try to bring them into my flat and check if they were actually ready to trash or if some jerk had simply bought a new stereo and didn't care to sell or give the old one away. It turned out that the tweeter unit in one of the speakers was silent, but apart from this, everything was alive and kicking! I installed a tweeter from another speaker, just to get sort of an overall impression, and I knew right away that these speakers were something else, having listened to a good many low- and mid-priced B&W speakers before.
                                        I've been trying to get hold of an intact tweeter for my new speakers, but apparently they are long out of production. Does anybody have an idea of how I could obtain the right unit or, alternatively, a pair of similar tweeter units that would make an acceptable fit for the DM3000s?

Best regards,
                                        Sune S. Mortensen, Copenhagen
                                        hej Sune
                                        Jeg har osse en defekt diskant på min ene DM3000. Har du fundet en løsning?
                                        mvh Hans
                                        Last edited by hansbalt; 08 September 2006, 05:07 Friday.

Comment

• browns1
                                          • Jul 2006

I picked up a pair of Dm2000's about 5 years ago. One of the Kevlar drivers
                                          was blown. My B&W dealer didnt think B&W could fix it but contacted them and they offered to look at it. about 3 weeks later it was returned repaired and has worked without incident. It cost me less than $100.00. I also have a pair of DM1400's and they're both great speakers considering their age.

Comment

• deepDEN
                                            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Wizard-of-Odd
                                            try Speaker Repair & Reconing Service in Denver. Their address is 900 S. Pearl St, Denver, CO 80209. Phone number 303-778-1617. I have dealt with Jim Phillips.

Hey guys...
                                            sorry for a negative first post... just wanted to relay my recent experiences with Speaker Repair & Reconing Service in Denver ( phone 303-778-1617 )

I just had a really, really terrible experience with Speaker Repair and Reconing Service based in Denver, telephone number is 303-778-1617. Proprietor Mr. Jim Phillips

I brought a pair of Urei 809A studio Monitors in for a "simple" re-edge (AKA Refoam) job on about Jan 29. Firstly, I was told they would be ready by that Friday. then i got a call stating that due to some issues with another job, my order would be pushed back. no problem. I get the call to pick them up on about Feb. 6th -- no mention of anything amiss... just a simple, "your job is complete -- please pick up at your leisure" type of call...

I finally make it out there on Feb 12 to pick up...

I notice that there is a significant tear (about 1" in length) on the edge moving toward the center of one of the cones i was trying to have preserved. (that no one had the decency to mention beforehand, and would not have mentioned at all had i not noticed it); also the glue job around the circumference of the cone is also quite irregular, almost like the glue bead wasn't pressed down after application.

I refuse the pick up at that point. Subsequently, Mr Phillips calls me and proceeds to tell me that tearing the edge of the cone during a refoam is somewhat a common occurance and that it will not effect the sonics of the loudspeakers. He says this without ever seeing the refoam job done by his employee, "B."

He also refused to correct the problem (again without ever seeing how badly his employee messed up my JBL drivers). He takes the $15 dollar labor charge off and still charges me $90 for the materials (which btw cost ~$20 on Ebay if you are buying single refoam sets -- but i wanted a "professional" to do the JBLs instead of me risking damage to them -- what a mistake!) So in essence, I paid them to devalue the Urei 809A monitors I brought in for them to fix.

The (i think) owner of SoundTown (where Phillips rents space for his operation) described the cone tear as "BRUTAL" as I was picking them up after recieving no comfort from earlier conversation with Mr Phillips. I requested that he meet me down at his shop sometime this week so that he could see the quality of job his employees were doing in town, he flat out refused to meet me at the shop, at any time, to inspect the job.

So, here are some pictures of the "professional" job that Speaker Repair & Reconing Service did to my Urei 809A vintage Studio Monitors.

I'll try to take some better pics and post them this weekend...

Please heed my warning and take your speakers elsewhere for servicing. This "service" they provide now requires me to take the pair to another shop for a full reconing, as Speaker Repair and Reconing Service has ruined the cone in one of my monitors

thanks for listening,
                                            David

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                              • Jun 2006

I'm glad that you revived this old thread. I still Have my DM3000's. I reglued the woofer surrounds, replaced the grill cloth, gave them a fresh coat of linseed oil and replaced the capacitors in the crossovers.

These are great speakers. I hooked them up to my main system and wow. I am driving them with a Musical Fidelity A308 CD and A308 Pre and a pair of Bryston 7B ST monoblocks. These old speakers have definite limits, but it is amazing how well they do compared to my N801's. Fantastic imaging, completely disappear and nice bass. Definately short of the big 800 series, but not left in the dust either.

I took them out of the main system and put them in a smaller system with a 100 wpc tube integrated and Philips 963 SA CD player that I modded the power supply on, again, great little system. Not as detailed as teh main system, but warm and bad recordings sound good.

If you ever stumble across a pair of these, buy them.

Comment

• RobP
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2004

You guys may want to give this guy a call and see what he can do for you.

Slice Speaker Service
                                                Kansas City, MO 64117
                                                Phone: (816) 221-8031
                                                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                                                  I'm glad that you revived this old thread. I still Have my DM3000's. I reglued the woofer surrounds, replaced the grill cloth, gave them a fresh coat of linseed oil and replaced the capacitors in the crossovers.

These are great speakers. I hooked them up to my main system and wow. I am driving them with a Musical Fidelity A308 CD and A308 Pre and a pair of Bryston 7B ST monoblocks. These old speakers have definite limits, but it is amazing how well they do compared to my N801's. Fantastic imaging, completely disappear and nice bass. Definately short of the big 800 series, but not left in the dust either.

I took them out of the main system and put them in a smaller system with a 100 wpc tube integrated and Philips 963 SA CD player that I modded the power supply on, again, great little system. Not as detailed as teh main system, but warm and bad recordings sound good.

If you ever stumble across a pair of these, buy them.
                                                  My wife just furnished the room where the DM3000's were located. Before carrying them upstairs (they are heavy) I decided to put them in my main system again for a few days. I am using the same system as above except with Classe CAM350 amps. I have them about 6 feet from the front and side walls. These speakers are unbelieveable. After making just a few adjustments to the placement (nothing scientific or exact) they just image so well (really impressive 3D imaging) and have a nice mellow bass tone. That combined with the silk dome tweeters makes these really nice to listen to. They remind me of tubes. Every time that I hook these up I am glad that I hang on to them.

Comment

• Russ L
                                                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by junior77blue
                                                    These speakers are before my time. Are there any photos avialble?

Another pic. Looks new.
                                                    Russ

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Russ L

Another pic. Looks new.
                                                      Those are really beautiful. Mine are in natural wood with the glossy tops. I can't seem to get an image to insert (I resized it to 89kb).

I used linseed oil to renew the finish, replaced the grill cloth and attached wooden feet shaped like the top panel. My wife likes their look more than any other speaker than I have ever owned (even the S800's).

I also reglued the surrounds on each woofer and the passive radiator and replaced the capacitors in the crossovers with new Clarirty Caps (PX Series). Since the capacitor change they have become very different speakers. They throw a 3D image like you would not believe with outstanding separation. They are also smooth as can be on most material. I have been listening to them for a few weeks now. Probably the best audio bargain that I have ever had. :T

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                        • Jun 2006

I think it uploaded. Its big brother is in teh background.
                                                        Attached Files

Comment

• axboi87
                                                          • Sep 2008

Black!

I desperately want my pair to be black, did yours come this way or is there a safe/feasible way to make this happen without it looking like crap?

Originally posted by Russ L

Another pic. Looks new.

Comment

• artv4
                                                            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                                                            I think it uploaded. Its big brother is in teh background.
                                                            awesome picture :T
                                                            GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by axboi87
                                                              I desperately want my pair to be black, did yours come this way or is there a safe/feasible way to make this happen without it looking like crap?
                                                              Glad to see this thread still alive.

These speakers have an oiled finish. Do some research online. You will probably need to use soem sort of solvent to remove some of the oil. Then lightly sand and stain them black (after removing all of the drivers). Painting them black may be an option. I would not do it. I like the wood.

If I was going to go through all of that work, I would prep the surface properly and paint them a piano finish or veneer in an exotic wood like bearl.

Again, this is quite a bit of work and they need to be keepers. People don't seem to realize just how good these speakers are will nto pay for the exotic finish if you ever sell.

Comment

• Joe90usa
                                                                • Jan 2009

I used to sell B&W speakers back around 1986 and the DM3000's were the ones I liked the most. We had the 801's and even 808's around the store, but it was the 3000's that stole my heart. It's nice to see that they are well remembered here.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Joe90usa
                                                                  I used to sell B&W speakers back around 1986 and the DM3000's were the ones I liked the most. We had the 801's and even 808's around the store, but it was the 3000's that stole my heart. It's nice to see that they are well remembered here.
                                                                  Do you have any more info on them? Literature, stories, anything? How much were they back then? How about the others?

Comment

• JerryV
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2009

More info

Hey guys,

I have some more info: the owner manual! Enjoy. :T
                                                                    Manual DM3000

Comment

• JerryV
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2009

DM 3000 Brochure

And there's more! ;x(
                                                                      DM3000 (and 2000) Brochure

Comment

• marksmessages
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2009

B&W DM3000 Woofer is fried!

Had a problem with my BK amp & left front B&W DM3000. I was able to get a new crossover from B&W, but sadly found out that one of the woofers was toast. No replacement is available according to B&W. Does anybody out there know of a source, or is anybody stuck in my same situation with only a single working speaker? These units are terrific in my home entertainment system & I sure would like to get back up & running. I appreciate any suggestions...

Mark

Comment

• spydey550
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2009

I am glad to see this much interest in the B&W DM 3000's. I owned a pair from 1986-1992. I wish I still had them. Anyone interested in selling? Currently I own a pair of 801 model II's. I love them, but I would like the DM 3000's for my bedroom. Also, I read the post on the non-working tweeter. I had a the same sort of problem with one of mine. I was able to repair it on my own back to perfect working order. Let me know if you are interested in further repair.

Comment

• lck4629
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Oct 2010

I paid 1400 US for my DM3000's

I love them but have not used them for some years because they are too large for my family room. Consequently I am trying to find a good hme for them all. I used them with a Tandberg 3001A tuner, Tandberg 3010 preamp, Thorens MD-mk126 turntable & Pereaux 1150B amp.

I'm at the point now of starting over with a mid-range home theater system. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

• rick lease
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2010
                                                                              • 3

#39
                                                                              b&w dm3000 speakers

first time at this site. i live in the denver area and i bought my b&w dm3000 speakers in the mid 80's. they're in excellent condition and sound brand new. haven't used them much in the last 10-15 years because like everybody else, i got into surround sound and now that i'm in my fifty's i don't listen to music rarely. i've thought about selling them but i wasn't sure what they were worth. i've read some of the other blogs and these speakers are truly special rick lease directman@comcast.net

Comment

• rick lease
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2010
                                                                                • 3

#40
                                                                                i have a pair in excellent condition. i would sell them if the price is right. ipaid 1000 apiece back in the mid 80's. never had a problem with them. i live in the denver area.

Comment

• rick lease
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2010
                                                                                  • 3

#41
                                                                                  mark first time visitor. i own a pair of dm3000 speakers that i bought in the mid 80's. i haven't used them much in the last 10-15 years. the look and sound great. i live in the denver area. directman@comcast.net

Comment

• Salmna
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2010
                                                                                    • 6

#42
                                                                                    Hello, Just wanted to know if you eventually found drivers for your DM 3000?
                                                                                    I recently picked up a pair of DM 3000 apparently in very good condition, but I am finding one of the driver is giving distorted sound. The cone movement produces crackling sound when pushed back wards with fingers. Also, I hear humming sound when the music is off but amp power on. Can this driver be repaired? As I have already checked, these parts are no longer available in UK or USA. I am in Canada, btw.
                                                                                    Can any one help please?

Comment

• Salmna
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2010
                                                                                      • 6

#43
                                                                                      DM 3000, Drivers help/replacement

Hello, Just wanted to know if you eventually found drivers for your DM 3000?
                                                                                      I recently picked up a pair of DM 3000 apparently in very good condition, but I am finding one of the driver is giving distorted sound. The cone movement produces crackling sound when pushed back wards with fingers. Also, I hear humming sound when the music is off but amp power on. Can this driver be repaired? As I have already checked, these parts are no longer available in UK or USA. I am in Canada, btw.
                                                                                      Can any one help please?

Originally posted by dOOMY
                                                                                      Hello fellow DM3000 connoisseurs...
                                                                                      This is the only place on the internet where people are talking about the B&W DM3000 speakers so I will have a quick input and request too...
                                                                                      I am a B&W user for almost 3 years. My system consist of the 6 series, DM602 S3 in the front, 600 S3 in the rears and a LCR 60 S3 in the middle. 2 months ago I came across a pair of DM3000 speakers and, because the price was really good, I bought them mostly based on their looks (were looking like new....). I had a huge revelation when I installed them at home and found my DM600 S3 sounding like cheap RadioShack speakers compared to the huge DM3000. They really sound like BIG speakers... huge soundstage and oh so sweet midrange...
                                                                                      Unfortunately, 2 weeks later, one of the drivers simply died. Took it off and found that the coil is heavily touching the magnet and, as a result, is burnt. I searched the whole internet and eBay and all on-line marketplaces for a replacement driver and the only one I found was through B&W North America and costs 300$ and is black (the original ones are brown). So... life sucks and I'm without hope.
                                                                                      Now my question… Is there anybody having any knowledge or information of a BZ200 driver (that's the B&W name of the DM2000/3000 kevlar drivers)? Apparently it's a 15Ohm (?!) driver found in the 1983~1985 B&W DM2000, DM3000 and I believe DM14 too. It's a yellow kevlar driver with a black dust cone. Diameter is 6.5" and is mounted with 6 screws... Any information will be rewarded with sincere tears!
                                                                                      Thanks,
                                                                                      Serban

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Nov 2009
                                                                                        • 1241

#44
                                                                                        Salmna,

You best bet would be to contact B&W. They will be able to recommend a current driver that will work. You would be best to replace the same driver on both speakers if possible.

BTW.. Where are you in Canada?
                                                                                        Main System:
                                                                                        B&W 801D
                                                                                        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                                        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                                        Oppo BDP-105
                                                                                        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                                        B&W CM7
                                                                                        Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                                        Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                                        Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                                        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Salmna
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Dec 2010
                                                                                          • 6

#45
                                                                                          Dm 3000

Thanks for your post . I already have contacted B&W UK & USA and according to them no parts are avaialble for this model. I did ask the lady in UK to see if there is any replacment available but she did not say much on that, may be I should ask them again.
                                                                                          Perhaps, I will wait till some one decides to dismantle their half dead speakers and offer the working parts for sale!
                                                                                          I am in Brampton, btw.
                                                                                          Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"