X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

625 watts RMS on Nautilus 802s?

Was doing some searching around on the net, and found a Sunfire amp that is rated at 625 W RMS X 2.
    Not that I have any intention on purchasing this or pushing that much power to the N802s.. But got me wondering.
    Since the reccomended power for these speakers is 500 watts RMS.. Would the 625 Sunfire be too much?

B&W
  • Phil Rose
    • Aug 2000

It's worse to underpower a speaker than overpower because if clipping happens with an underpowered amp you can blow the tweeters.

That said I did manage to wipe out the woofers on one of my N802s when I had too much bass from Star Wars ATOC going to them. ops: I now have the Xover set at 60 Hz for HT but, on music they are full range. The amps, Bryston 7B-STs, are rated at 500 W but the factory test data shows ~645 W.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Yup, i know about underpowering speakers. Its easier to damage then overpowering.
      Nice to see that number of 645watts.
      Is that max then? Or the RMS rating, but B&W gave them a conservitive 500watt RMS rating.

How much was a new woofer from B&W to fufill my curiousity.
      Just picked up a new tweet from them for $89.
      B&W

Comment

• Phil Rose
        • Aug 2000

Is that max then? Or the RMS rating
        That was RMS.
        How much was a new woofer from B&W to fufill my curiousity.
        I was very fortunate that my dealer covered the new woofs under warranty so, my error didn't cost me anything except for return shipping of the failed units.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"