X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • corysmith01
    • Feb 2005

Proud new B&W owner

Stumbled across this site while looking for info on B&W. I'm a new owner, having finally left the big-box-store speakers where they sit and shopping instead at a specialty audio store. From the looks of things around here, everyone seems to be in a different league than I...I could only scrounge enough together to get a pair of DM601 s3's with a matching LCR 60 for my front set up. Not nearly in the 800 range, but they're nice enough for me and wow, what a difference. Luckily, my store has a 1 yr trade in policy, so I'm anxiously waiting to move up to a pair of 705's.

I don't have surrounds yet and was looking at the DM303's. Any thoughts on these speakers in a surround application?
  • turbokuo
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by corysmith01
    Stumbled across this site while looking for info on B&W. I'm a new owner, having finally left the big-box-store speakers where they sit and shopping instead at a specialty audio store. From the looks of things around here, everyone seems to be in a different league than I...I could only scrounge enough together to get a pair of DM601 s3's with a matching LCR 60 for my front set up. Not nearly in the 800 range, but they're nice enough for me and wow, what a difference. Luckily, my store has a 1 yr trade in policy, so I'm anxiously waiting to move up to a pair of 705's.

I don't have surrounds yet and was looking at the DM303's. Any thoughts on these speakers in a surround application?
    Congrats, I would skip the 700's, save some $ and go right to the 800's.

Comment

• js24
      • Feb 2005

Congrats~!
      705 for next year, 805 for the year after...... till the day we all have the 800Ds!

Comment

• sugarmedia
        • Feb 2005

agreed...skip the 700 series.

Comment

• DeepEndX
          • Feb 2005

You got yourself into an expensive hobby... If you ever try the 800's series, you wouldn't even consider the 700's. Time to save up...

Comment

• Jason R
            • Jul 2004

I use the 303's as side and rear surrounds, with 800 fronts and have had no desire to change them. The are fed with rotel 1070 for sides and rotel 971 for rears. Given enough power they will be fine as surrounds unless you have a large room in which case you would need dipoles.

Comment

• Blindamood
              • Sep 2003

Congrats on your new setup. I started the same way you did, with the 600-series. I now own a 5.1 setup of the CDM NT series, which is the predecessor to the 700s. Despite what others may say ( ) I am entirely satisifed with this system!
              Brad

Comment

• DanR
                • Dec 2004

Kudos to you and your new setup. B&W makes wonderful speakers at all levels and your enjoyment of music and movies will forever be changed. Enjoy!!
                :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Congrats CorySmith, welcome to the real world of audio. Be cautious of the upgraditis bug it looms near.

Enjoy,

Azeke

Comment

• brendon
                    • Aug 2004

Hi Cory,
                    As the comments above show quite a few guys here started with 6 series set ups.I am in the same position as your self having just bought a pair of 602s3 and a lcr60 and now I am looking at rear speaker options which will probably be 601s3 or less likely the in ceiling B&W ccm 65.A popular move is to start with 601s3 or 602s3 at fronts then move them to the rears when budget allows and use something like 603 or 604 at front or evan something from a higher range.
                    Brendon

Comment

• stantheman2
                      • Apr 2004

Congrats on your B&Ws. I have owned B&W speakers since 1985 - they just sound "right" to me. I also highly respect their commitment (and R&D $$) to producing ever better speakers. I currently own B&W 600 Series 2 speakers. I have lust in my heart for the new 800 "D" series, but unfortunately no money in my bank account.

To address your question about surround speakers, I also looked at the DM 303s as suround speakers in my setup. I really wanted to convince myself that 600 series fronts and 300 series rears would be fine. However, when I compared the 303s to the 601s it was no contest - I found the extra $150 for 601s (almost) inconsequential when compared to the improvement in sonic quality - most significant was the difference in midrange clarity and bass "slam". Also, it is much easier for the speakers to seem to "disappear" in a surrond setup if they are all the same model range.

Comment

• Boone38
                        • Dec 2004

Well after hours of reading all your posts and comments I took the plung as well. Just left the store after ordering the 805s in black. Also bought MIT avt 2 cables. Was told it will take about a week to get the speakers in. System will be:

Rotel 1068
                        Rotel 1075
                        Rotel 1060 DVD
                        B & W 805s for the front
                        B & W LCR600 center ( will upgrade this summer)
                        B & W inwalls for the rear
                        Velodyne HGS12x sub
                        MIT cables and sspeaker wire
                        Monster 5100 line conditioner

Will give an update after they are hooked up and broke in. Also I know that this has been talked about before. But the website notes the HTM4 as the match for the center. Others say to only use the HTM 1 or 2. Other thoughts?

Dan

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"