X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aerogary
    • Jan 2005

Newbie Help....Best center for DM640i mains

Hello fellow B&W lovers,

I have an older set of B&W640i mains and wish to setup a home theatre. The speakers are in pristine condition and sound good and use the larger kelvlar cones like the newer models so (unless there is a known defect or recall) would like to keep them and add a good center and 2 rear surrounds.

I'm quite confused as to which center would be the best match. I understand that the LCR600 is considered the largest but would there be a problem with voicing/timbre ? With so many choices should I go with the B&W LCR6 S2, LCR600, CC6, DM600IFS, CC3, ....?

I read that the center does 40% of the work and im trying to fill a good sized 19 x 16 room so was leaning towards the LCR600 but I"m not a B&W expert.

Also if anyone has equally good suggestions for rear surrounds that would match I would be equally indebted to you.

Thank God I found this forum and thanks in advance for your help.
  • Lefteris
    • Feb 2005

Hey aerogary,
    I have the LCR 600 S3 you mention. I have extensively audtioned the LCR 60 and the previous range, CC6S2 and LCR 6S2. All I have to say is don't buy the speaker if you want a wide listening area, unless you can place it vertically. If you check the specifications, you'll se that both center models (I'm talking about the S3 series, ok?) have a dispresion of 20 degrees. the 40 degrees stands for the vertical positioning. Other than that, it's very good, especially for movies, and I would suggest if you do buy it, get spikes as well (all they have is rubber pads, that can leave a mark on the speaker when removed..... trust me ) . Now, don't get me wrong, the 600 IS a great sounding speaker, and the PUNCH you can get, especailly around 150 Hz is amazing! I think that the 2,5 way design has to do with that, it can push serious air, for a center speaker, that is.

*Now, for matching. I've had a ROUGH time trying to match it with my 602S3s, so don't expect much. Things were much worse before I upgraded, when I had the 602S2s. There's only one solution applicable: Equalising. If you get an aplifier with an automated equalizing process, you can be sure that you won't have a problem. Other than that, you can experiment with a manual EQ your current amp could have, but it's much harder than it sounds.

Hope this will help!
    Miles Smiles

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"