X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Gehring
    • Oct 2005

Thanks

Hey thanks... That helps a lot. Still trying to figure out how do everything in here...

Originally posted by Kevin P
    Mike, I merged your post above (which you accidentally posted as a new thread) into this thread for you.

Comment

• RobP
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Azsyno, you have a wonderful setup as well as a very nice home, it looks as if it belongs in a magazine. Is your home a converted loft? The reason I ask is that the brick coulmn appears to have a nice aged patina to it.
      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• azsyno
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
        Is your home a converted loft? The reason I ask is that the brick coulmn appears to have a nice aged patina to it.
        Thank you - my wife is to blame for the house :-D And yes, that former furnace flue is old...

We converted this house in 2003. From 1925 until then it had been a local place of commerce - general store, butcher shop, deli, pizzeria, etc. After extensive remodeling including an entire new 2nd floor as well as lots of structural upgrades to the 1st level, it is home. It's a block off the Long Island Sound in CT.

Two pics summarize the big change:

Before:

After:

A link to more pics that sorta detail everything...

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Wow... that's quite some work. Did you build the house yourself (with help)? You're sort of hi-jacking this thread with your house, but you really do have a beautiful home. I love picture #13. Man, the sight of nimbus clouds reminds me of nice cool 65 degree breezes that we get up north. I'm down here in Miami now. The word cold is not allowed down here. lol Gorgious work though.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• azsyno
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
            You're sort of hi-jacking this thread with your house, but you really do have a beautiful home.

re: hijack.

Got it... sorta became that - I'll stop.

Longstanding member of a certain auto online forum for many years and a moderator. I'd have told ME to STFU about 5 posts ago. :-D

No more responses.

Gotta tell ya though... there are some fine systems detailed in that thread and if I spend a lot of time here, I'll spend all my dogs inheritance money.

Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

• Fritz
              • Nov 2004

Heres a few pics. Work in progress.
              Attached Files

Comment

• JCL
                • Apr 2005

Wow, that looks trange, how did you hang that up?! And what i'm really wondering about is thous hanging them up make them sound wors? They should have less air to 'breath' so in theory...

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                  • Jun 2003

Hi all,

Here are updated photos of my system.

I have a pair of N802's, an HTM1, and 4 805's. For more photos of my system, click on the link in my signature.

Dan
                  Attached Files
                  I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!

Comment

• tboooe
                    • Jun 2005

Dan, nice!!!

I noticed you use quite a bit of toe in with your 802's...what do you find are the results of such a large amount of toe in vs no toe in?

I am stuggling with my setup and would like to hear your thoughts.

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                      • Jun 2003

tboooe,

Initially I had the 802's wider apart - about 4 more feet between them - I had a friend over who's opinion I value very much, and he suggested that I move them closer together, which I did. As for the "toe in", I have them pointed at the center of my seating area, only because it seemed to make sense.

I have been thinking about pointing them more outward to see what it does to the soundstage. I haven't tried that yet, so I don't have any info on that one way or the other.

After seeing a couple of movies recently in a THX Certified Theater, I would like a bigger soundstage. I am trying to duplicate the sound of that Theater, after all it is THX Certified and it is a brand new Theater, so I figured it is set-up correctly - and it sure sounds good to my ears!!

Dan

Comment

• Eliav
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by krellfan
                        Here's my setup. I have had the 802Ds now for about 1 month now. I am still using the Revel Voice center speaker. I have the HTM 2D but have not had time to set it up yet. Hopefully in a couple of weeks. Overall, it's a pretty good sounding setup but far from perfect. There is always room for more upgrade.
                        I'll be hosting a couple of B&W fans in couple of weeks to demo the system and if there are any local members in the San Francisco area that are interested in the demo, let me know. I can accommondate about three members.
                        Amps - Krell FPB 350 MCX for LCR
                        Proceed AMP5 for side and rear
                        CD Player - Wadia 861 SE
                        Processor - EAD Signature 8000A
                        Preamp - Pass X1
                        Display - Fujitsu 50" plasma
                        DVD -Sony ES 9000 and OPPO
                        Power conditioner - PS Audio P600
                        Speakers are a mixed of Revel and B&W for the time being. The rear speakers are Revel Embrace and M20. I also have a pair of Revel Studios for now.
                        Subs - Revel B15 and Velodyne HGS 15II
                        Cables - Audioquest Amazon, Cheetah, Everest, Dragon and Shunyata cords.
                        Hi, great system !
                        Did you try to treat your room acoustics ? I bet it will make your system sound like a 100k$ one ! I urge to to try it before you spend more money on equipment, with your gear, it should be close to perfect !!
                        Cheers
                        Eliav
                        :T Socrat

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                          • Mar 2005

Dan; Great system... One thing I've tried that has worked is point the speakers at the center spot 6 feet behind you. This gave me a much better sound stage while keeping the focus. I have 800Ds fronts, HTM2D Center and 802N rears, with a Velodyne DD sub (5.1). I am thinking of replacing the 802Ns with 4 805s (7.1) like you have. What's your thoughts on this? I watch HT more then MC music. Do you think the step up to 7.1 with 805s would be better than 5.1s with 802Ns?
                          Last edited by SRT-10 Viper; 06 November 2005, 11:31 Sunday. Reason: change

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                            • Jun 2003

Thanks for the compliment,

I have been starting to reconsider how I have my N802's positioned, and I like your siggestion - I will try that. I would like a wider soundstage. As for the 4-805's for rear/surrounds - I was using just 2 until B&W announced their new 800 Series. I thought if I ever wanted a 7.1 system using matching speakers I better get two more 805's while I still could. I was impressed how much better the surround effects were, even with 5.1 material processed to 7.1 (using the Anthem AVM20). As for your N802's for surrounds, although I have not tried that, I would think that the N802's are not used to their potential in that position. If it was mostly 5.1 SACD's and DVD Audio that you listened too, then I would think the N802's would be an excellent choice. In my case I am glad I have 4-805's instead of the 2 I had before, it smoothed out the rear soundstage considerably and made the surround effects more 'natural' sounding.

Dan

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
                            Dan; Great system... One thing I've tried that has worked is point the speakers at the center spot 6 feet behind you. This gave me a much better sound stage while keeping the focus. I have 800Ds fronts, HTM2D Center and 802N rears, with a Velodyne DD sub (5.1). I am thinking of replacing the 802Ns with 4 805s (7.1) like you have. What's your thoughts on this? I watch HT more then MC music. Do you think the step up to 7.1 with 805s would be better than 5.1s with 802Ns?

Comment

• krellfan
                              • Jul 2005

Hello Eliav,

Room acoustic is my next year's project. Since my system is not in a dedicated room, I will have to make some compromise with my wife. Most acoustic panels are not attractive. Do you have any recommendations on acoustic panels?

Dan,

You have a very nice system. Reducing toe-in and slightly increasing the distance between the speakers will help produce a larger soundstage but it may compromise the center imaging slightly. It's always a compromise.

Comment

• JohnnyH
                                • Sep 2005

Dan...Slightly off topic, but what kind of sofa/sectional is that. I like the look of how it wraps around.

Oh, very nice system by the way.

John

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                  • Mar 2005

krellfan I just bought 2X4 4inch accustic pannels for a fairly low price... I will take them out when I am not critically listening to music or when watching movies... They are light enough. I only used 2 and put them behind the front speakers... What a difference it really tightened up the bass. Search on GIK Accustics. Not the best built but work great and a good price.

Comment

• teeball
                                    • Aug 2005

B&W 802D'S Toe-in or out.

HI Eliav. You have a great setup there.
                                    Ihave owned the B&W 802D'S for about 5 or 6 months and i have been experimenting recently with toe-in and out. So far i haven't figured it out yet , but i do notice if they are in (pointing at the middle of the seating area, they do give a very spatial atmosphere. I really cant tell if the center ch. spkr. is on or not if not in 2ch. Of course B&W spkrs. are famous for being a very blended sound. I am running B&W's in 7 ch. except for the rears which are some older klipsch, which will be switched out to some B&W CDM-SNT's real soon. My equipment consist of:
                                    B&W:
                                    802D's up front
                                    Signature HTM-1-cc
                                    SCM-1-side rears, bridged from lx-7
                                    soon to be:
                                    CDM-SNT rears.
                                    Lexicon MC-12B
                                    Krell FPB 400cx 2CH. amp.-fr.spkrs.
                                    Lexicon LX-7 7ch. amp for rears.
                                    Video section:
                                    Esoteric DV-50 Uni-player
                                    Pioneer Elite pro 510 HD. rptv. (some day may switch to a plasma or something else)
                                    Subwoofer:
                                    Velodyne DD-18. the big boom.
                                    I would be very interested in what you think of the HTM-2D. Also what you come up with on toe-in or out with the 802D's
                                    I love the D's over the N802's, which i had before the D's.
                                    Happy listening to all.
                                    teeball.

Comment

• Jonesy
                                      • Feb 2003

Coming together

Only thing missing is a lcr600...

Last edited by Jonesy; 09 November 2005, 14:21 Wednesday.

Comment

• Eliav
                                        • Jul 2005

Hi
                                        Building these traps are no big deal, takes about one weekend to complete your room treatment. It definitely changes everything, in my opinion this is equal to a serious upgrade only much cheaper.
                                        The traps are basically like picture frames so you can take them with you wherever you go, i built 11 traps, i will take them with me, they really changed my system dramatically.
                                        There are two types of traps - low frequencies and higher frequencies. If you whish, drop me an e mail and i will be happy to help. i have posted some pics. of my Ht room, not great quality (size limitation) however it gives some idea of the concept.
                                        Cheers
                                        eliav
                                        :T Socrat

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                                          • Jun 2003

Thanks for the compliment. The sofa is made by a Canadian company - Palliser.

Dan

Originally posted by JohnnyH
                                          Dan...Slightly off topic, but what kind of sofa/sectional is that. I like the look of how it wraps around.

Oh, very nice system by the way.

John

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

Updated pic,
                                            Just re-arranged the living room today.

Im sure everyone here is one upped me in just about every way, but it works.
                                            N802s Aragon 4004 and Sunfire TGII
                                            Looking for some Pallidium 1k monos and a Stage One to replace the 4004 and TGII.
                                            But that will come after I paint the room, get rid of the nasty boarder and blinds the previous owner of the house put up.. Thinking brick-red with grey treatments and sound panels/traps/whatever you want to call them...
                                            Then a nice wall mounted plasma to free up some space.

Always seem to be a penny short though. :x

B&W

Comment

• audioqueso
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2004

Oh... look who it is... that lucky fool that practically received his 802s for free. I still hate your luck! lol jk

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

Haha!
                                                Someone remembers that?! LOL
                                                Thats funny.
                                                B&W

Comment

• dan87951
                                                  • Nov 2005

Oh... look who it is... that lucky fool that practically received his 802s for free. I still hate your luck! lol jk
                                                  Practically for free? Lucky bastard!! ;x(
                                                  dan87951
                                                  audio guru

Comment

• RobP
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2004

Isnt that the craziest thing, I think he may have used up all of his lifetime supply of luck on that one!!! :lol:
                                                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                      Haha!
                                                      Someone remembers that?! LOL
                                                      Thats funny.
                                                      Damn right I remember! I'm jealous of how lucky you were with that situation. Nice going though. :T

Comment

• tdiciple
                                                        • Nov 2005

so tell us, what is the name of that thrift store? Maybe a visit once in a while will not hurt.

I want some free 802D.. ^_^

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                          • Mar 2005

Race Car Drive, Nice set up... I noticed you have significant toe-in. Have you tried them with less? It should give you a wider sound stage.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Actually, I was thinking of that, THey are outward a bit more then the pics show, i snapped the pics after pushing all the heavy stuff around, lol. I have just been listening to a few albums over again to see how it sounds after i re-aranged the room.
                                                            Is There Anybody Out There? - The wall live is almost over, I suppose once its over ill monkey with it more
                                                            B&W

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Ahh, so you are the lucky one???!!! I remember that post from way back.

RCD - Just make sure you don't enlist any professional movers next time. I doubt you will be so lucky then!
                                                              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

Hehe, no need for professional movers...

Anyways... that "luck" you all speak of... may end up being a curse..
                                                                Its a curse for my wallet! Curse thats wanting me to get the best I "Cant" afford for these damned things! LOL

Because of my "luck" Im wanting and willingly spending thousands of dollars just to give them the best I can.

tisk tisk...
                                                                B&W

Comment

• dan87951
                                                                  • Nov 2005

Above is some pictures of my system earlier this year in my college dorm room. I have upgraded a few things since than such as a Rotel RMB-1075 amp and 46" tv but I graduate this year and i'm expecting to revamp the whole system once i finalize my job details..
                                                                  dan87951
                                                                  audio guru

Comment

• tboooe
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2005

nice setup...when i was in college i could barely afford top ramen...

get all your toys now before things like mortgages, 401k, life insurance, college eductiaon funds become a part of your life...

Comment

• StefanColson
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Jun 2005

How can you afford that while in college? Credit Cards? I'm a student something like that is surely beyond my means...

Comment

• nyny
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2004

Dan either worked quite a few jobs in college or he has some very loving parents/relatives....j/k :W I don't even know what hi-fi is when I was in college...haha :rofl:
                                                                        Tony

Comment

• dan87951
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2005

To answer a few questions. First of all I have a free ride in college. Everything paid for but housing and food. Second I bought the 803's on my well paid internship last year. Third I have a little cc debt but not much less than 1k. Fourth I started a small jetski business that I do during the summer with one other friend and we buy and sell skis. Did 42k in sales last year between the two of us and roughly 30% of that is actual take home profit. fifth I graduate this year and im currently finalizing my future job details so expect to see some major changes in the next year or so... 802D's or 803D's...
                                                                          dan87951
                                                                          audio guru

Comment

• tdiciple
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Nov 2005
                                                                            • 59

Time for me to share my setup.
                                                                            Front are 804s, HTM3S, and Parasound Amp, and Vsx-56Txi Pre.

Too bad the HTM3S is in Rosenut. I would love the Black Ash.

I will need to rid the Rosenut/Red Ash HTM1 and Rosenut HTM7 to probably get a better pre.
                                                                            Attached Files

Comment

• nyny
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2004
                                                                              • 128

Fred, nice setup! I didn't realized the HTM3S is that big in comparison to the 804S.......wow.
                                                                              Tony

Comment

• tdiciple
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Nov 2005
                                                                                • 59

Tony,

Thank you for the compliment. I love my set up. I use them mostly to watch movies. I don't feel the need to go to the theatre anymore. My Netflix and home set up is sufficient enough for me.

As far as the HTM3S, they are pretty big, see the attached pictures for comparison between HTM1 Red Cherry (on the floor), 804s Black & HTM3S Rosenut.

You can see how big they are in comparison.
                                                                                Attached Files

Comment

• aphexist
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2004
                                                                                  • 158

tdiciple,

Is that Sony a front projection screen or a wall-mounted plasma?

It looks like one of the new ChromaVue black screens. If so, does it work well in ambient light as advertised?

Trey

Comment

• tdiciple
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2005
                                                                                    • 59

Those are the Sony ChromaVue. They works pretty well, but I cannot open side window at all in order to watch them during the day.

Best light output will be at a maximum of 30% to be able to watch very good pictures. After that the screen starts to degrade; still watchable; but color & contrast starts to degrade after you turn the lights up after 30%.

I used them all the time. Now my wife can watch TV during the day with the big screen.

I am thinking to upgrade to DNP supernova once I sell this screen up.

Fred

Comment

• nyny
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2004
                                                                                      • 128

Originally posted by tdiciple
                                                                                      Tony,

Thank you for the compliment. I love my set up. I use them mostly to watch movies. I don't feel the need to go to the theatre anymore. My Netflix and home set up is sufficient enough for me.

As far as the HTM3S, they are pretty big, see the attached pictures for comparison between HTM1 Red Cherry (on the floor), 804s Black & HTM3S Rosenut.

You can see how big they are in comparison.

Fred, thanks for posting the comparison photo. I was thinking about revamping my HT setup after my move overseas from 705s and HTM7 to 803S and HTM3S, but after seeing the size of the HTM3S, I really need to wait and see whether my new place will have a large enough room for the new setup. If I can't get enough space, I would just get a pair of 803S for stereo and keep the same HT setup (like I did with 804S before).
                                                                                      Tony

Comment

• tdiciple
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Nov 2005
                                                                                        • 59

Tony, I hope you have enough space. My HT room used to not have a CC. Now that I tried HTM7, HTM1, and HTM3S; I will never revert to an HT room without CC unless I had to. Keep us posted.

Comment

• Hoffi
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Nov 2005
                                                                                          • 23

New on forum

Hello!
                                                                                          Here´s my current setup (ht "infection" started 3 years ago :W )

802 D fronts
                                                                                          HTM1 center
                                                                                          804 back
                                                                                          ASW 800

RSP 1098
                                                                                          RMB 1075 (upgrade will be next step)
                                                                                          RDV 1060
                                                                                          RT 1080

Greetings
                                                                                          Hoffi
                                                                                          Attached Files
                                                                                          :sn

Comment

• Kens1
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                                            • 191

Nice clean set up Hoffi. How does it sound in 5.1 with the centre off balance like that?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"