X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

DM 14s

G'day,

There's someone in town selling a pair of B&W DM14s. These are from the early 1980's (I think), and I'm wondering if they are worth inspecting. An old user manual is available at http://www.bwspeakers.com/downloadFi...DONE_-DM14.pdf, but I cannot find any specifications.

Can anyone offer an opinion on these?

UPDATE: I found some specifications: http://www.bwspeakers.com/downloadFi..._info_DM14.pdf

The specs mention the following: "Power Handling 15W. No upper limit because of overload protection device". Dunno where the "overload" begins. What would my 200w amp do to these?

--Geoff
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hired Goon,

20 year old speakers often start to have mechanical issues with the compliance of the spider, speaker surrounds etc. Also some crossover components such as capacitors can age and go out of specification effecting the sound. Lastly, speaker technology has improved immeasurably in the last 20 years...

So - unless they are nearly free and you have lots of time on you hands - my advice would be "don't bother"

Geoff

Comment

• hired goon
      • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff

So - unless they are nearly free and you have lots of time on you hands - my advice would be "don't bother"
      I had a listen, but the electronics running the speakers were not very good. After one hour of fiddling with cables and amps and dodgy CD players, I couldn't tell if the bad sound I was hearing was because of the speakers, the electronics, or both. So I didn't buy them. Still no B&Ws for me...

-- Geoff

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"