X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

The "Tombstones" Build Thread

I thought I would announce my latest non-vaporware project. My friend thought the baffles look like tombstones, hence the name. This is a dipole midrange design with a monopole woofer section to load close to the floor to come closer to power matching the radiation patterns of a dipole to monopole transition. I chose this layout because it sounded great when I heard a similar design at RMAF last year, and because I simply want to try it. No need for fancy EQ, and there's no need to let me know the limitations of not using dipole bass. I fully understand that.

The woofer is the Seas W26.

The midranges are the Seas W15CYs.

The tweeter is the hybrid H1212 waveguide loaded DXT tweeter I tested awhile back.

I took the 2 best profiles from above and merged them, so I can easily compare the differences. Below you can see the stock 27tbfc-g tweeter and the DXT dome unit on a 27tbfc-g motor. I labeled each set of harmonic distortion for the DXT dome unit on a 27tbfc-g motor as "DXT". The DXT hybrid outperforms the stock 27tbfc-g tweeter in all non-linear distortion tests except D2. With the benefits of a waveguide it will be even better.

This speaker is intended to be my reference design. I don't think the drivers get much better in terms of overall quality, etc.

Here's what I was able to put together this weekend. They will be finished in a beautiful Curly Cherry veneer.

More to come:

Last edited by Jed; 29 April 2008, 20:17 Tuesday.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Where's the rest

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
      Where's the rest
      Got the pair of cabinets built. I'll post more pics tomorrow. It's been a speaker marathon weekend.

Jed

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Sounds good. I won't be here much probably until later that night. We'll see I suppose. Have to go to the doctors in the morning because of issues with the baby. But eagerly awaiting an update they look interesting.

Comment

• ttan98
          • Mar 2007

Is the bass cabinet ported or sealed?
          what would expect the low freq would be?
          what is the x-over freq?

thanks.

Comment

• Coconutout
            • Oct 2006

i'm sorry for being blunt but do you think these are comparative priceerformance-wise to The Statements? I was planning on rebuilding mine but these speakers look extremely appealing... like a poor man's Orion.

are these drivers readily available? i can't even find a single picture on w15.

Comment

• itssmoke
              • Apr 2008

looks like you could take that cabinet design ,, utilize some old saba drivers.. your choice of sub ,, and be in set heaven. just a thought.

Comment

• JasonB
                • Oct 2005

Jed,

I'm looking foreward to seeing the results of this one. I currently have a pair of Undefinition's (Paul C's) Aethers and like tham a lot. I often wonder what a similar design with premium drivers might sound like. Your excellent driver choices should answer that question.

Jason

Comment

• dlneubec
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Hi Jed,

Very nice sounding project!

I'm thinking of doing something similar after hearing the latest Jim Salk design at inDIYana on Saturday. he collaborated with Jeff Bagby and Jeff had not heard them. We had a fairly extended listening session so Jeff could determine if he needed to change anyting in terms of voicing. He decided not to change anything. This design was similar to your in that it had a ported bass cab with an open balfle mid (single) and tweeter (and looked a little like a tombstone as well). These were using what most would consider PRO drivers for the Bass (Lambda TD12H), PHL 6.5" mid, but with a hih end Morel HiFi tweeter. The overall sensitivity was a whopping 93db! Let me tell you, those were by FAR, the best DIY based speaker I've heard and probably the best speaker period. Dynamics like you would not believe and clean, clear, wide and deep soundstage, etc.! I can't say enough positive things about them and have nothing negative to say. They were simply stunning to listen to. Jeff played a Doc Severinson piece with some wonderful trumpet work and Doc was in the room with us. They will play incredibly loud, effortlessly. I could see these being excellent mains for either music or HT, though you would want to add some subs for supporting below 40hz.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering taking this approach of melding of Pro and Hi-Fi drivers approach and doing something simiular, either with an open baffle mid or perhaps a damped open back mid (ala Statements). I'll probably shoot a little lower in sensitivity to keep the cost a little more reasonable and while reducing the overall speaker mass (I'd guess these were about 14"wide x 42" tall or so), but hope to get around 91db or so.

BTW, your D44's sounded great!
                  Dan N.

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Coconutout
                    Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Those sure are some pricey drivers Jed, what do you estimate the final price to be?

Comment

• chasw98
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by dlneubec
                        These were using what most would consider PRO drivers for the Bass (Lambda TD12H), PHL 6.5" mid, but with a hih end Morel HiFi tweeter. The overall sensitivity was a whopping 93db! Let me tell you, those were by FAR, the best DIY based speaker I've heard and probably the best speaker period. Dynamics like you would not believe and clean, clear, wide and deep soundstage, etc.!
                        Dan:
                        You are one of the first people I have run into (figuratively) that has heard the Lambda series of drivers. I have been very interested in them. These are the same ones available form John J at AE, right? I would really like to hear more about them and if you buy some see some measurements and some reactions. Thanks, this is promising.

Chuck

Comment

• augerpro
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2006

I'm curious about those Lambdas too. I have an OB idea I want to try with the B&C DE250 in *hopefully* a Geddes waveguide, B&C 8NDL51 mid, and either the AE IB15 (have one for testing) or TD15, or B&C 15NW76. The IB15 has all the right numbers and the price is right, but I wanted a full Pro driver setup just to see if there is truth to the hype, so still undecided there. I wonder if <200Hz the supposed pro driver benefits are still seen?
                          ~Brandon 8O
                          Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                          Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                          DriverVault
                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• Jed
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
                            Those sure are some pricey drivers Jed, what do you estimate the final price to be?
                            1 Milllllllllllllllllllliooon dollars! Actually no, much cheaper, more like $2K for everything including cabinets. Already have the drivers and I got them from someone on diymobileaudio.com for a good price.

Originally posted by Coconutout
                            i'm sorry for being blunt but do you think these are comparative priceerformance-wise to The Statements? I was planning on rebuilding mine but these speakers look extremely appealing... like a poor man's Orion.

The Seas Excel W15CY and Seas Excel W26 are both Seas' high end magnesium coned drivers and are readily available. The tweeter is a concoction of the Standard Seas H1212 ferro loaded motor with the Seas DXT waveguide dome assembly that I tested in another thread.

I have no idea how it will compare to the Statements, but it will be a lot more expensive.

Originally posted by ttan98
                            Is the bass cabinet ported or sealed?
                            what would expect the low freq would be?
                            what is the x-over freq?

thanks.
                            The bass section is sealed. F3 will be around 40HZ.
                            Crossover Fc targets will be around 200-250HZ and 1.7Kish with 4th order acoustic slopes.

Hi Jed,

Very nice sounding project!

BTW, your D44's sounded great!
                            Thanks Dan! I miss those little D44s.

Comment

• dlneubec
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by chasw98
                              Dan:
                              You are one of the first people I have run into (figuratively) that has heard the Lambda series of drivers. I have been very interested in them. These are the same ones available form John J at AE, right? I would really like to hear more about them and if you buy some see some measurements and some reactions. Thanks, this is promising.

Chuck
                              Hi Chuck,

Those are the ones. I'm trying to contact John J via email. I understand he is rather hard to reach and I might have better luck with calling. If I don't hear back in a day or two, I'll give him a call. They sounded very clean in that system. I can't stress how great I thought those speakers sounded and that was in a motel conference room, probably 40' wide x 80' long or so. Post a note about them over at the PE board and I bet Jeff Bagby will answer. I know he was very happy with the way they sounded. The PHL mid was VERY nice as well. I'm likely to buy some of the Lambda's. I have to decide if it will be the TD12H or the TD10H, but probably the 10, since it can use a smaller box and I want to keep the resulting speaker mass down. I'll start a thread on the Lambda's if I get some and will certainly do some measurements. I could probably get some data like that from Jeff. I'll drop him a line if you are interested in the TD12H.
                              Dan N.

Comment

• chasw98
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Hi Chuck,

Those are the ones. I'm trying to contact John J via email. I understand he is rather hard to reach and I might have better luck with calling. If I don't hear back in a day or two, I'll give him a call. They sounded very clean in that system. I can't stress how great I thought those speakers sounded and that was in a motel conference room, probably 40' wide x 80' long or so. Post a note about them over at the PE board and I bet Jeff Bagby will answer. I know he was very happy with the way they sounded. The PHL mid was VERY nice as well. I'm likely to buy some of the Lambda's. I have to decide if it will be the TD12H or the TD10H, but probably the 10, since it can use a smaller box and I want to keep the resulting speaker mass down. I'll start a thread on the Lambda's if I get some and will certainly do some measurements. I could probably get some data like that from Jeff. I'll drop him a line if you are interested in the TD12H.
                                I have already spoken with John by PM on the AE forum. That was on the day he put up the T/S parameters. He said he has been too busy getting things going to really do some measurement of these new drivers. Although he has the parts to put them together and sell them if you are willing to take the chance.

Actually I had my eye on 4 (2 per side) of the 10 inch Lambda's as good candidates for a 3 way with some scanspeak components. I have heard from other people that the PHL units are real good also.

I would be very curious to see FR graphs along with distortion graphs a la krutke if you know what I mean. Keep me posted on what you do with the ambda's. Thanks.

Chuck

Comment

• Coconutout
                                  • Oct 2006

wow 2k is way over my ideal budget (1.2k over to be precise)
                                  but i'm still interested after reading mr.dine's comment. please tell me, what would be the tweeter height be and if it can be adjusted to 34".

Comment

• Jed
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Apr 2005

Yeah, the Seas drivers are really expensive now. Just the woofers are like $340 each.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2002

Dan, do you know which PHL mid and Morel tweeter Jeff used?

Comment

• Silversmoky
                                        • Nov 2007

Looks like a neat project Jed. I like seeing the Seas Magnesium woofers getting used in your design. Those things have jumped up alot in the last six months! I thought I had read somewhere that it is possible that they may go back down a little in price at some point again. I have my doubts though.
                                        Will follow your progress close!

Comment

• Dennis H
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2002

Yeah, the price of the Seas drivers is really high in the US because of the weak dollar. A few years back, a dollar would buy almost 1.2 euro. Now a dollar will only buy about .64 euro -- almost a doubling of the price of european products bought in the US.

Attached Files

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                                            • Dec 2006

You can pretty much expect the prices of Chinese drivers to follow that trajectory over the next couple years . . . maybe not double (though they could) but at least a 50% increase. We'll see it everywhere . . . WallMart, Parts Express, Harbor Freight . . . if you want something imported get it now, it's not going to get any cheaper.

I wouldn't even bet against more appreciation for the Euro . . .

Comment

• Undefinition
                                              • Dec 2006

Only a few days ago, you put a sketch of this up, and now here it is. That must have been some speaker building marathon! Looks great, Jed! :T

Is this your first dipole design? I'm eager to watch the development of this project.

As I stated on the PE board, I was shocked by the initial similarity between your design and a dipole I'll be working on this summer. However, it looks like there will be enough cosmetic differences to make the two distinguishable :W

Also, it will be really interesting to see how your driver choices turn out. Yours are definitely in a different price bracket than mine.

Best of luck! Should be fun!

(here's is a sketch of my design that is on the "to do" list)
                                              Attached Files
                                              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                                              Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Jed
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Apr 2005

Thanks! I gotta learn how to use that google sketch software. Those look great!

This is indeed my first "dipole" (midrange) project.

Jed

Comment

• augerpro
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2006

Jed do you have a pair of the Maxx's still? You'll probably find it interesting to compare these to the Tombstones. Both use low distortion drivers, low enough that I think many other factors (power response, lobing, soundstage) will be become much more dominant and the better sounding speaker may not be obvious until you actually listen to them.

BTW congrats on the whole Lineup line. It really is a superb array of projects. :T
                                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                                  DriverVault
                                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2006

Hey Jed what made you select the DXT over the SS9800?
                                                    ~Brandon 8O
                                                    DriverVault
                                                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• dlneubec
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                      Dan, do you know which PHL mid and Morel tweeter Jeff used?
                                                      Not sure, but it is one of the 6.5" PHL extended range drivers. I believe he said the Morel was the MDT33.
                                                      Dan N.

Comment

• Jed
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by augerpro
                                                        Jed do you have a pair of the Maxx's still? You'll probably find it interesting to compare these to the Tombstones. Both use low distortion drivers, low enough that I think many other factors (power response, lobing, soundstage) will be become much more dominant and the better sounding speaker may not be obvious until you actually listen to them.

BTW congrats on the whole Lineup line. It really is a superb array of projects. :T
                                                        First, Thanks! I'm finally getting around to veneering the Maxx and my D4s.

Good points about comparing one speaker to the next. That's what I did with the Lineup Series and I definitely will compare these new speakers to other speakers I've designed that I have in my collection-- D44s-- and others.

I'm using the waveguide tweeter over the Scanspeak 9800 because it measures better and will work well in the dipole application. Hey, maybe I'll plug in the Scanspeak and see what I like better, but the edge goes to the H1212 DXT waveguide hybrid for power response flatness and low distortion down to 1200hz.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2005

Jed,
                                                          Looking very good. The driver photos you added made me laugh. The midrange looks bigger than your woofer.
                                                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Jan 2006

Wish I could afford to build these but they are just a TAD bit out of the range I'm looking to spend on my new speakers.

Comment

• TacoD
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Feb 2004

Nice project Jed, it is a shame to see the last closed box builder switch to open baffle .

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Aug 2002

The Dark Side of the Force grows stronger in young Jed.

Comment

• Jed
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Apr 2005

Thanks for the compliments all... I'll keep you updated. I plan on updating the first post so people won't have to wade through pages and pages to find the pics.

Comment

• Jed
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Apr 2005

Dennis, that tweeter looks pretty rolled off on the top end. Did you get it out of an AR3a or something? :B

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2004

Yeah, the price of the Seas drivers is really high in the US because of the weak dollar. A few years back, a dollar would buy almost 1.2 euro. Now a dollar will only buy about .64 euro -- almost a doubling of the price of european products bought in the US.

I felt this the last two weeks in Germany (just got home about 2 hours ago). It cost me over $100 US to fill up a tiny car with diesel and a decent lunch was over $25 US. A medium Big Mac meal at McDonalds cost me almost $10 US for crying out loud!

Ahhh, it's good to be home.

Comment

• dawaro
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jed
                                                                        Thanks for the compliments all... I'll keep you updated. I plan on updating the first post so people won't have to wade through pages and pages to find the pics.
                                                                        Do you have any desires to do a variation on this? I have some drivers I would be willing to supply you with for the testing if you are interested, just shoot me a PM. Other designs I have heard with these drivers sounded great and the total cost of the MTM section drivers is less than $400.
                                                                        I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• Jed
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2005
                                                                          • 3621

Originally posted by dawaro
                                                                          Do you have any desires to do a variation on this? I have some drivers I would be willing to supply you with for the testing if you are interested, just shoot me a PM. Other designs I have heard with these drivers sounded great and the total cost of the MTM section drivers is less than $400.

What drivers are they?

Comment

• JoshK
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 748

Off the original topic, but in response to the sub topic.

Jeff Bagby's design looks like it is taking commercial form through Salk Sound....

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2002
                                                                              • 3798

#39
                                                                              Alrighty then. That looks like the PHL 1120 with its distinctive flat surround. Looking at the thread on AC, we've got:

Lambda TD12H
                                                                              PHL 1120
                                                                              Morel MDT33
                                                                              450 LR2
                                                                              2.5K LR4

I imagine a talented XO designer could klone the speaker and come pretty close to the sound but kloning Jim Salk's woodwork would be another matter.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Nov 2005
                                                                                • 5204

#40
                                                                                but kloning Jim Salk's woodwork would be another matter.

Indeed.
                                                                                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                                                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                                                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2004
                                                                                  • 434

#41
                                                                                  Where can I find out more about the Lambda drivers?

Comment

• exojam
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2006
                                                                                    • 169

#42
                                                                                    Here you go for Lambda.

Acoustic Elegance makes the world's lowest distortion woofers with Full Copper Faraday Sleeve. Proudly made in America. Quality. Performance. Definitely.

Comment

• Jed
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Apr 2005
                                                                                      • 3621

#43
                                                                                      Geez guys, start a new thread. Half the posts are about Lambda drivers.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Jan 2006
                                                                                        • 16073

#44
                                                                                        Jed whats the cost of that tweeter? And do you actually have to make it like that? If so what do you need to get to do it?

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2002
                                                                                          • 3798

#45
                                                                                          Aw, Jed, you know trying to keep us HTG ruffians on topic is like trying to herd cats.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"