X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cotdt
    Have you considered a wave-guided Peerless HDS Tweeter? It sounds wonderful and how a tweeter should sound.

No I haven't, but Dan N. is working on a speaker like that. He chose to go with a monopole woofer as well. Probably for the reasons I've shared in this thread. If you want dipole bass, I'd just get an Orion and be done with it. I've got about half a dozen speaker plans before I even think about doing a full active speaker.

Comment

• cotdt
      • Oct 2005

No I actually don't like dipole bass, I was just wondering the reason why you didn't go for that though. Whether it was because you didn't like dipole bass either, or because of the cost. But you answered my question.

Comment

• Mazeroth
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by cotdt
        No I actually don't like dipole bass
        :E

:B

Comment

• dlr
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jed
          Subtle changes. So I decided to see if I could flatten the response a bit in the 1-5k region to get rid of the dip at 1.5k and the peak at 2.75k. The top chart shows the previous crossover. The most recent changes (bottom chart) required another notch filter so parts count went up but I think the result are worth it. You might be wondering when this tweaking will end. Well, when I can't make it better.
          You can flatten the response, keep the on-axis and off-axis much closer in response and very possibly reduce XO complexity and parts count by judicious use of felt for diffraction control. Much, if not all, of the trouble in the 1-5K area is diffraction related. As you noted, fixing the on-axis resulted in worsened off-axis. This cannot be fixed with any XO. Given the relatively wide baffle it's likely to be primarily diffraction due to having two drivers close to the tweeter. A 1"x6" piece of 3/4" or 1" thick felt between the tweeter and adjacent drivers would likely make the tweaking and traps minimal.

Even with that relatively wide baffle, there might be some benefit to felt on the sides of the tweeter, but I'd concentrate on the inter-driver related diffraction if you really want to maximize the FR linearity.

Dave
          Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• oneplustwo
            • Jan 2010

Old thread, I know. But I was wondering if Jed ever got around to a Tombstones RS. The Aria10S looks really nice so maybe that's where this designed ended up. But an RS version would be quite appealing too.
            Zaph SR-71
            Zaph ZDT 3.5
            Sunflower Redux
            12" Dayton HF sub
            CJD RS 150 MT
            Revelator bookshelf
            2x12 Guitar cab
            Corner loaded line array

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by oneplustwo
              Old thread, I know. But I was wondering if Jed ever got around to a Tombstones RS. The Aria10S looks really nice so maybe that's where this designed ended up. But an RS version would be quite appealing too.
              I never got around to it but Paul C. has a nice design called the Sunflowers that is open baffle on the mids and uses an RS225 woofer, RS125mids, and Vifa XT25 or RS28a tweeter. I'd check that out when you get the chance-- no sense reinventing the wheel.

Comment

• oneplustwo
                • Jan 2010

Thanks Jed. I saw Paul's Sunflowers and was about to pull the trigger when I came across this thread. I was just hoping there might be a version with the bigger (sealed) woofer.
                Zaph SR-71
                Zaph ZDT 3.5
                Sunflower Redux
                12" Dayton HF sub
                CJD RS 150 MT
                Revelator bookshelf
                2x12 Guitar cab
                Corner loaded line array

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"