It's time for a Statement announcing my latest project..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sefferdog
    • Apr 2006

Just finished another of Curt's projects, the Scrappy. :T Thought y'all might like to see it. To put it into perspective, I have it pictured with the Statements. :E

Just remember, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog. 8O These dogs have a good bit of fight in 'em! :W

Enjoy....

Click image for larger version

Name:	scrap_State.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	849649

Name:	scrap side.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	849650
    Last edited by theSven; 21 March 2023, 12:25 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Brian Bunge
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2001

Looking good, Wade! Any chance you could bring down the Statements, or even the Mini Statements, in the next couple of weeks? Sundays are fine with me if they are with you.

Comment

• Sefferdog
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
        Looking good, Wade! Any chance you could bring down the Statements, or even the Mini Statements, in the next couple of weeks? Sundays are fine with me if they are with you.
        Ouch... My back hurts just thinking about that. See attached picture from the last time I tried to lift them by myself. :E

Let me have my wife take my car to work tomorrow and I will measure up her little Honda and see what will fit. If I am going to make the trip I would really like to be able to get both the Minis and the Statements in there. 8O

I will let you know tomorrow.

Name:	ouch.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	849653
        Last edited by theSven; 21 March 2023, 12:28 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Brian Bunge
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Sefferdog
          Ouch... My back hurts just thinking about that. See attached picture from the last time I tried to lift them by myself. :E

Let me have my wife take my car to work tomorrow and I will measure up her little Honda and see what will fit. If I am going to make the trip I would really like to be able to get both the Minis and the Statements in there. 8O

I will let you know tomorrow.
          Wow! That would really be sweet!

Comment

• thatdave
            • Aug 2007

Ahaik,

They look very nice....mine look bulky and unwieldy..
            Speaking of which, we started the final lap on ours.
            Took them apart Saturday....not easy....left up the old HTIB surrounds as the placeholders (old mains moved to surround duty) to help speed us along.

Last picture has the initial semigloss coat. Probably do 2 brushed on coats, 1 sprayed, then 2 or 3 coats of finishing wax.

David

Name:	PICT3051a.JPG
Views:	653
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	849654

Name:	PICT3052a.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	849655

Name:	PICT3053a.JPG
Views:	587
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	849656

Name:	PICT3054a.JPG
Views:	616
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	849657

Name:	PICT3055a.JPG
Views:	758
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	849658
            Last edited by theSven; 21 March 2023, 12:29 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Sefferdog
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by thatdave
              A
              Took them apart Saturday....not easy....left up the old HTIB surrounds as the placeholders (old mains moved to surround duty) to help speed us along.

Last picture has the initial semigloss coat. Probably do 2 brushed on coats, 1 sprayed, then 2 or 3 coats of finishing wax.

David
              WOW. I am humbled and amazed at the abilities of the people on this board. Wish I were nearly as talented. Fantastic job!! ;x(

Comment

• ahaik
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sefferdog
                WOW. I am humbled and amazed at the abilities of the people on this board. Wish I were nearly as talented. Fantastic job!! ;x(
                Same here David, superb woodworking :T . Nice to see someone try something different (with great success).
                BTW is this the natural wood look, or are they stained ?

Asi.

Comment

• thatdave
                  • Aug 2007

Asi,
                  Natural. It is Black Walnut, the clear coat brings out the color and grain.
                  The sides/back/baffle are 5.2mm MDF backed veneer. The trim parts are solid black walnut. Benefit of having a hardwood supply warehouse 10 min away.
                  Almost too heavy to move solo now......will get the weight when they come inside for driver install. I shudder to think of the extra weight the missing 15 inches are..

The different style was to match the rest of the DIY furniture we have made in the room. Will get them all in 1 shot when the Statments reach their final resting place.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by thatdave
                    Asi,
                    Natural. It is Black Walnut, the clear coat brings out the color and grain.
                    The sides/back/baffle are 5.2mm MDF backed veneer. The trim parts are solid black walnut. Benefit of having a hardwood supply warehouse 10 min away.
                    Almost too heavy to move solo now......will get the weight when they come inside for driver install. I shudder to think of the extra weight the missing 15 inches are..

The different style was to match the rest of the DIY furniture we have made in the room. Will get them all in 1 shot when the Statments reach their final resting place.
                    The cabinets are really pretty Dave. Excellent craftsmanship. :T

Jim

Comment

• thatdave
                      • Aug 2007

Thank you.
                      Hehe...we did have 1 major mishap.
                      Final sanding before applying the clear coat. Accidently sanded through the veneer..
                      Wife said I sounded like Luke when Vader killed Obi-Wan. NNOO!!!
                      About a 1 inch circle....It is not so obvious after about 20min with colored pencils to hide the light colored MDF. Guess that side will face the TV..

Comment

• thatdave
                        • Aug 2007

Finally completed and finished.
                        Next stop, pictures of them in their final resting place.
                        The 2 front shots are one with flash, 1 without...

Name:	PICT3058a.JPG
Views:	634
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	849667

Name:	PICT3059a.JPG
Views:	652
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	849668

Name:	PICT3060a.JPG
Views:	735
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	849669
                        Last edited by theSven; 21 March 2023, 12:30 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• tpremo55
                          • Apr 2006

Everybody I know has at least one thing they regret about almost every project. If I only have one, I'm doing REALLY well. At any rate, I think your cabinets are very nice. Very nice craftsmanship and a great design idea. Excellent Character!

Comment

• CupCak3
                            • Oct 2007

I really can't wait to start on my Statement theater but I have one questions about the port diameter.

While playing around in Unibox, it looks like a 3" port could introduce some noise and distortion in the lower octaves at higher SPLs. Then looking at 4", the resonance frequency looks like it could be a problem. Could someone please comment on the port dia. choice?

Thanks!

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2001

Asi,

Somehow I missed your pics! Wow, those are beautiful! I'm glad I could help out on the poly recommendation. I've not used any of their stains before but I might give that black cherry a shot. I am building a version of the Microbes from the PE forum and have veneered the tops, sides and bottoms of the cabinets in some leftover birdseye maple veneer that I had lying around. I'll probably have to use dye to keep from obscuring the birdseye affect of the veneer, but the goal is to have a red finish on the veneer with a black baffle and back.

Maybe I should called the finish "Red Eye Maple"!

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2001

Asi,

Somehow I missed your pics! Wow, those are beautiful! I'm glad I could help out on the poly recommendation. I've not used any of their stains before but I might give that black cherry a shot. I am building a version of the Microbes from the PE forum and have veneered the tops, sides and bottoms of the cabinets in some leftover birdseye maple veneer that I had lying around. I'll probably have to use dye to keep from obscuring the birdseye affect of the veneer, but the goal is to have a red finish on the veneer with a black baffle and back.

EDIT: Oh, and I have some scrap veneer that I'll be experimenting on before I do anything with the final cabinets!
                                Last edited by Brian Bunge; 17 November 2007, 12:45 Saturday.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by CupCak3
                                  I really can't wait to start on my Statement theater but I have one questions about the port diameter.

While playing around in Unibox, it looks like a 3" port could introduce some noise and distortion in the lower octaves at higher SPLs. Then looking at 4", the resonance frequency looks like it could be a problem. Could someone please comment on the port dia. choice?
                                  Thanks!
                                  Hi CupCak3,

Curt can tell you why he chose a 3" port from the technical perspective if you're comcerned about it. Shoot him an email. I can tell you from a subjective standpoint that there is absolutely no port noise at any volume that I can tolerate and I do listen pretty loud at times. Perhaps others will chime in with their experiences.

Welcome to the Statements club! :T

Jim

Comment

• Sefferdog
                                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                                    Hi CupCak3,
                                    I can tell you from a subjective standpoint that there is absolutely no port noise at any volume that I can tolerate and I do listen pretty loud at times. Perhaps others will chime in with their experiences.

Jim
                                    No port noise here and I blow the cobwebs out of the port on occasion. 8O

Wade

Comment

• ahaik
                                      • Feb 2007

Asi,

EDIT: Oh, and I have some scrap veneer that I'll be experimenting on before I do anything with the final cabinets!
                                      Brian,
                                      Old Dad's Poly is great, I love the results, I actually had a sub that I built, the veneer is European Wallnut, its more smooth then the oak. I stained it with a Minwax golden oak stain with 3 coats of Minwas spray poly (cans).
                                      It looked good, but when I got Old Dad's poly I sanded them 600 grit and wiped on a coat of that and I really liked the results.
                                      I will take some pictures and post them later.
                                      Thank you for the great recommendations :T

BTW: I really like Old Dad's stain, it dries just like a finish.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2001

Glad I could help! I'll definitely have to try some of the Old Dad's stain. If I build an A/V credenza I'm thinking of trying out their new Espresso stain.

Comment

• tpremo55
                                          • Apr 2006

Hi CupCak3,

Curt can tell you why he chose a 3" port from the technical perspective if you're comcerned about it. Shoot him an email. I can tell you from a subjective standpoint that there is absolutely no port noise at any volume that I can tolerate and I do listen pretty loud at times. Perhaps others will chime in with their experiences.

Jim
                                          I've got the rear firing ports on the Statements that I built and I have no noise at all. I've listened to them at levels beyond reasonable and nothing. The one thing you might consider is that the port noise is reduced in a port with flared ends. The Precision Port 3" that I used has very large flares which yields a very gentle constriction and expansion. If Unibox has the option, confirm that you are indicating flared port on both ends (provided you are actually planning to use them). For what it's worth, I REALLY like the Precision Port kit and will continue to use it for large lower base applications.
                                          Last edited by tpremo55; 18 November 2007, 08:42 Sunday.

Comment

• Sefferdog
                                            • Apr 2006

It is pretty cool to scroll down through the pages and see all of the avatars that are Statements!

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2001

Wade,

I swear I've seen pics of your Mini Statments that show the bases in more detail but I can't seem to find them anymore. If you have some will you post them again?

Comment

• Sefferdog
                                                • Apr 2006

Wade,

I swear I've seen pics of your Mini Statments that show the bases in more detail but I can't seem to find them anymore. If you have some will you post them again?
                                                Actually the bases are the same as the Statements, I just haven't changed the pic. In my avatar I took red oak veneer and gave it 3 - 4 coats of ebony stain and then a few coats of poly and didn't like it. I redid them to match the actual speaker and like it much better. Just didn't update the pic.

I am also in the process of checking on borrowing a buddy's truck because the Statements and Minis will not both fit in the car. If I am going to make the trip I am going to find something that can haul both pairs!

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Nov 2001

That's fine. Just let me know what's convenient for you. After Thanksgiving I'm probably going to forget what my wife looks like for the next month or so, so I'd imagine just about any Sunday will be fine. Also, I'm off work for 12 full days starting the Friday before Christmas through Jan. 2nd. I may be heading up to GA with my step-daughter to visit my family. So if you can't make it down before then, maybe I can stop by on my way back into town.

Comment

• thatdave
                                                    • Aug 2007

Mine are finally in their final resting place.
                                                    They fit in great with the rest of our DIY living room..
                                                    The DVD shelf on the left is 1 of a pair that were where the statements are now. Also our coffee tables and TV stand/cabinet. All in Black walnut (the tables are from 2 inch stock, 40lbs per)

The Statements weigh in at about 95lbs X 2 for the cabinet alone, more than the TV.. 107lbs ish when all put together....

They will darken over time to match the TV stand, it is only about 8 months old.
                                                    Thanks to Jim, Curt and Wayne for the design.

Thanks to Jim for the advice on making them shorter than usual.
                                                    And thanks to everyone else for the encourgement, these were our first speaker....

Now to get ready for the center...

David and Lori

Name:	PICT3064a.JPG
Views:	612
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	849676

Name:	PICT3066a.JPG
Views:	716
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	849677

Name:	PICT3067a.JPG
Views:	876
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	849678
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 21 March 2023, 12:31 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2002

That looks really nice, Dave. Well done! :T

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2005

Hi Dave,

Curt, Wayne and I appreciate your very kind comments. Our thanks is the satisfaction of knowing that you're enjoying your Statements as much as we do. BTW, you'll love the center too! :T

Jim

Comment

• CBS
                                                          • May 2007

finaly done!

I have been a friend of Jim's for many years now. I was also lucky to have his Statements at my house for two weeks right after he first finished building them. I loved them and with much help and support from Jim I have finally finished my first DIY speaker project. I have been working on these since May so I am very happy to have them up and running.

I use my room for HT in addition to two channel as such I needed some subs if I was going to replace my speakers with Jim's design. Jim and I talked and he came up with a great idea. The Statements were built as the sealed version and placed (bolted) to a sub cabinet containing a TC Sounds TC1000 15" sub. Front subs are run mono and crossed at around 40 hz, the amp is a Dayton Audio HPSA 1000-R. The same set up is used for the rear surround speakers.

The veneer is Waterfall Bubinga with 11 coats of Waterlox finish/sealer. I love the look but the sound is even better.

My hat is off to Jim, without his help I never could have completed this project.

Name:	IMG_2558 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2749
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	849681

Name:	IMG_2529 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2118
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	849682

Name:	IMG_2553 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2984
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	849683
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 21 March 2023, 12:31 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Sefferdog
                                                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by CBS

The veneer is Waterfall Bubinga with 11 coats of Waterlox finish/sealer. I love the look but the sound is even better.
                                                            Those are absolutely stunning. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of talent on this board. From the guys that design them, to the guys that build them.

You have done an amazing job! ;x( ;x( ;x(

It makes me want to go in where mine are and throw a sheet over them so no one sees them. 8O

Comment

• thatdave
                                                              • Aug 2007

CBS,
                                                              That is what I was thinking of doing once I get more room, only w/ an 18"....
                                                              They look great, excellent choice of finishing.
                                                              On the down side, now mine aren't the only sealed..

Comment

• technimac
                                                                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by CBS
                                                                ...The veneer is Waterfall Bubinga with 11 coats of Waterlox finish/sealer. I love the look but the sound is even better...
                                                                OMG CBS, those are absolutely Drop Dead Gorgeous! Great work on that finish. :T

Nice to have great sounding and great looking speakers.

I do have two questions. Is the Bubinga veneer paperbacked and where did you get it?

Cheers ~Bruce
                                                                "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

• CBS
                                                                  • May 2007

Bruce,

The Veneer is 10 mill paper backed. I got it from Oakwood veneer, I was very happy with it and the service that they provided. They called me back after I had ordered it to make sure it was going to be what I wanted.

Chris

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by CBS
                                                                    I have been a friend of Jim's for many years now. I was also lucky to have his Statements at my house for two weeks right after he first finished building them. I loved them and with much help and support from Jim I have finally finished my first DIY speaker project. I have been working on these since May so I am very happy to have them up and running.

I use my room for HT in addition to two channel as such I needed some subs if I was going to replace my speakers with Jim's design. Jim and I talked and he came up with a great idea. The Statements were built as the sealed version and placed (bolted) to a sub cabinet containing a TC Sounds TC1000 15" sub. Front subs are run mono and crossed at around 40 hz, the amp is a Dayton Audio HPSA 1000-R. The same set up is used for the rear surround speakers.

My hat is off to Jim, without his help I never could have completed this project.
                                                                    Hi Chris,

Thank you! I appreciate your comments. However, I have to point out what a huge project this has been for a first time builder. You really took charge, built the cabinets and forged ahead doing things you've never done before. So kudos's to you for having the guts and the determination to build them.

The sound of this combination is phenomenal. The bass of the Sealed Statements is ultra tight and the power of the 15" TC Sounds subs is unbelievable. It's just killer sound, IMHO.

I'm pleased that I was able to help you along the way when needed. One day, you'll cuss me for getting you hooked on DIY though. :rofl:

Great job Chris! You should be proud of your achievements and of course of the Statements. :T

Jim

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2001

Hey Jim,

Exactly which of the TC Sounds 15" subs are those?

Comment

• coctostan
                                                                        • Nov 2006

Chris-

Those look great. Approximately what frequency and slope are you low-passing the subs at? Are you high passing the statements?

Comment

• CBS
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • May 2007

Hey Jim,

Exactly which of the TC Sounds 15" subs are those?

Brian,

The Subs are TC1000's I got them shortly before TC sounds stopped direct sales.

Chris

Comment

• CBS
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • May 2007
                                                                            • 10

Originally posted by coctostan
                                                                            Chris-

Those look great. Approximately what frequency and slope are you low-passing the subs at? Are you high passing the statements?

The sub crossover is set at about 40 hz, the slope is whatever is standard in the sub amp crossover, Jim may have a better idea than I do. I am not high passing the statements they are getting a full signal from my main amps. It really sounds very nice right now, I still get to get my SPL meter out and check it out for sure. Sealed subs with the sealed statments really makes for some tight and detailed bass.

C

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 3223

Originally posted by coctostan
                                                                              Chris-

Hi Coctostan,

It's the 1000 watt rack mount amp that PE sells. The crossover is 24 db. It's an excellent amp with a lot of power.

I knew the subs and Statements would blend well since we were crossing so low and they're both sealed but the sonic results exceeded my expectations. The bass is the best I've heard. It's unbelievably tight and powerful. Chris has a very big room too but there's no problem pressurizing it with the subs. Deep bass notes in music are real sounding and they are extremely detailed.

If I were building my Statements now, I'd certainly strongly consider taking the same approach as Chris. It's sweet!

Jim

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 16073

Yeah I was going with a TC driver but they kind of been taking forever to get my exchange together and then they ran out of what I wanted (after mike said he had one on hold for me waiting for my exchange) so now they are supposed to be giving me a refund....been 3 weeks since that was supposed to happen so we will see. That Tempest X from diycable is looking mighty interesting at 175 bucks though!

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2001
                                                                                  • 1389

Just keep in mind that the Tempest needs a pretty big enclosure compared to some of the other drivers out there. Otherwise, it's a great buy for the money.

Comment

• cacophonix
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Feb 2006
                                                                                    • 34

Hi CBS,

Love the look of your speakers!
                                                                                    Did you use satin waterlox or the high gloss?

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Oct 2007
                                                                                      • 3814

Chris/Jim: Can you give a little more detail on how the statements are bolted to the subs? Also would it be possible to get some detailed dimensions on the sealed statements? I'm currently building the center and was thinking of doing something similiar to what Chris has done there, but like Dave said, with 18"s

More pictures would be awesome as well (pics of the backs & build pics would be sweet if possible)! Beautiful work!
                                                                                      -Chuck

Comment

• thatdave
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2007
                                                                                        • 29

Chris,
                                                                                        May I ask how you integrated the 15"? Do you run the channel to statement and sub? Daisy chain to sub then statement?

For those much more informed than I,
                                                                                        I have not seen any power handling information. How much is too much power (is there is such a thing)?. Mine are currently fed (in theory) 100W X 2 from my receiver. Probably much less when used for HT. I am considering a Crown XLS202D to feed them (300W X2).

David

Comment

• CupCak3
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2007
                                                                                          • 127

Hi CupCak3,

Jim
                                                                                          Jim: Thanks for the reply! After looking at air speed again, its really not going to be a problem for me since I'll be crossing my mains b/t 40 and 60hz. Also, my calc was assuming 50watts going to each woofer. 8x)

tpremo55: the measurement I was looking at was pure air velocity. I will definately use flared ports due to the amount they lower air turbulance. :T

CBS: ;x( You setup is gorgeous! Could you please post a bit more detail on your box sizes and the method you used for securing them together? Thanks!

Comment

• CBS
                                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                                            • May 2007
                                                                                            • 10

Originally posted by cacophonix
                                                                                            Hi CBS,

Love the look of your speakers!
                                                                                            Did you use satin waterlox or the high gloss?

Cacophonix, I used the Waterlox original sealer/finish, More gloss than stain but less than high gloss

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"