Time for a retrospective and thanks for the Holidays... and surviving 2022!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Time for a retrospective and thanks for the Holidays... and surviving 2022!

This is something I started thinking about yesterday, probably spurred on by my plans to write one of those year end Christmas newsletters that you usually send to friends you're not in touch with much anymore, but in this case is specifically for my daughter, who's family has had a host of problems over the last couple of years, most of them self generated.

HT Guide has certainly had some challenges, and from private communications with members, they've had some, too- that I won't go into.

But HT Guide is still here, thanks in no small part to the efforts of Sven Ragala, for whom we owe a big load of thanks for his knowledge and efforts in updating the site and supporting the continuation of key activities.

This has been one of those years that in retrospect feels like trying to run what one thought at the outset was a 100 yard dash, but which feels like trying to run through molasses, given the various challenges, and recognizing new things as they pop over the "event horizons" that need to be done to fulfill the overall short and long term goals.

I can hardly think of anything more illustrative of that issue than Steve's effort to get the new workshop facility going in Maryland- one which fulfills a key requirement going forward, of being only 10 minutes away from his wife's grandkids!

😂

https://www.htguide.com/forum/forum/...ture-part-deux

And he's still sending me pictures and describing the still ongoing efforts, as of this week... as my former Siemens Semiconductors colleague Jeno Tihanji used to say (sadly, passed away shortly after his retirement, at an age 10 years younger than I am now), "Slow work takes time".

My own situation isn't truly analogous, but being the whiny guy I am (occasionally) I have to say I truly didn't realize how much stuff there would be to fixing up a brand new construction home... starting with the prep and epoxy coat and drywall and painting effort in the garage last April... and still not finished- most recent was a wall hanging utility assembly and installation in the laundry room for the Mrs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Laundry Room readySS.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	583.2 KB
ID:	927300

So, for anyone with the time and in the mood to share, what have your challenges been this year, and/or what are you thankful for, HT and Audio related, or anything that's important in YOUR life?

And for everyone....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	497.0 KB
ID:	927301​​​​​​​

the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • Steve Manning
    • Dec 2006

Well said Jon! The list of trials and tribulations has been rather long this year and so I'll just join you in wishing everyone Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• theSven
      Master of None
      • Jan 2014

Thanks JonMarsh. I don't have a photo handy as I'm working out of the Michigan office for another week, but one of my big frustrations this year has been the Emotiva RMC-1. It's gotten a little better by installing the IR extender. Other challenges this year have been running Cat 6a through the house, and not HT related my wife health. Anyhow super thankful to have the site still up and running and look forward to my center channel project with Steve Manning SMJ Audio for 2023. Way to much to be thankful for, and every challenge is an opportunity! Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!
      Painter in training

Comment

• tktran
        • Jan 2005

Thank you Sven for keeping this guide alive. And thank you JonMarsh for your endless enthusiasm and positivity. I am thankful a virtual place to hide, in between dealing with the chaos and calamity of the past 3 years. People working in healthcare are in desperate need of a break; so I’m looking forward to going on sabbatical next year.

Keeping hope and spirit alive for the young children have been my biggest challenges; and sadly that means not enough time and devotion to my other half. So to 2023 I will work on that.

For some good news I’d like to share- I was just catching up on my last 2 years of Klang & Ton digital subscription. And have found a nifty little feature on my tablet/phone- the translation feature! So if your German is as rusty as mine- now your iPhone can translate (and read aloud) the content of the PDF.

Here’s a sample:
        ”• Scan Speak 15W/8534T00

• Scan Speak 18W/8542-10

• Purifi PTT6.5X08-NAA-08

• Redcatt Audio 101NPMX8

• SB Audience Bianco 15MW350

Our measurement procedure in key points:

1.35 x 1.65 m IEC standard wall

Room center by means of pallet truck

At a distance of 1 m

MLS measurement in 0°

From 0° MLS measurement

At 85und95dB(PA:95und105dB)

At THD >10%

20 to 40 kHz in 0°, 15°, 30°, 45°, 60°

(Tweeter up to 90°)

And electrical phase in the open field

Clinking measurements

The latest version of our CLIO measuring system finally allows us to display the distortion in percent again. The two measured works carried out are carried out in our IEC standard wall with 1000 liters of rear, highly damped volume in 25 centimeters. We set the levels of the chassis so that they correspond to 85 and 95 dB at a distance of one meter. For PA chassis, we measure because of the design to higher levels at 95 and 105 dB. The efficiency of the chassis does not matter, as the listening levels in later operation are based on the type of box and not the limits of the inserted chassis.

In addition to the general distortion behavior of a chassis, it is possible to find out by comparing the two diagrams how well the subject tolerates tenfold performance. The distortion component K3 (red) is particularly critical, as it is very important in terms of sound due to the odd variety of the basic frequency. Component K2 (blue) corresponds to twice the frequency and thus with a jump of exactly one octave, so that it tends to be perceived as harmonious and thus less critical”

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Thanks TK!

Keeping hope and spirit alive for the young children have been my biggest challenges; and sadly that means not enough time and devotion to my other half. So to 2023 I will work on that.

VERY good goals for the new Year! My inner psychologist applauds your frankness and your goal! (my formal education is in psychology).

However, with regards to your very useful tip for Klang & Ton...

My favorite phrase to use in Germany used to be...

"Ich bin ein dummer Amerikaner, ich spreche kein Deutsch!" or, "Ich spreche Deutsche nicht! Ich bin eine stupidisch Amerikaner!"

Once you get that out of the way, even if you just speak Deutsche like a 4 year old (about my limit, and I did live there from 6 months to 4-1/2, with a German HausFrau, and came back to the states speaking mostly German, only a little English), they will tend to be cordial and cooperative.

At least thats what I found over the course of my work assignments over there for my last employer (35 years). OTOH, they are a bit more friendly in Müenchen than in Frankfurt, I hear... in Frankfurt they are expecting "Hoch Deutsche"

the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"