You can now have an official IMAX theater in your house!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

You can now have an official IMAX theater in your house!

This is so cool. If I had the money, I'd certainly do it myself. And notice the part where you can even get licensed for same-day theater film releases. Why go to the local megaplex, stand in line, borrow cheap 3D glasses, and have sub-standard snacks in mediocre seats to watch the latest release, when you can do it the same day yourself, in your own home? You can even invite the neighbors over to watch it with you!

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

I'll have one of those, someday. Well, someday regular HT tech will rival today's IMAX systems for a fraction of the cost....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Holy crap. That is impressive. Let's see,now. If I remortgage my house, sell the car, cash in my...naw, still won't be enough.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
        Holy crap. That is impressive. Let's see,now. If I remortgage my house, sell the car, cash in my...naw, still won't be enough.
        How many kidneys ya got? Nuts? Legs? Probably still won't be enough.

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Alright. I've been studying bank heist movies. I can pull this off. :lol:

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

If I had the money I would absolutely have one installed.

Comment

• BWLover
              • Jan 2009

Do we really think even the highest end home theatre, from the brands we currently talk about all the time, are not as good as an IMAX theatre?

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
              Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
              Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
              Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
              Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
              Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
              Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
              Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
              Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
              Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
              Playstation 3
              Shaw HD PVR
              Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I'm honestly not sure it would be. To be specific, we'd be talking about the video presentation. Yes, the other items can be duplicated and exceeded in non-IMAX theaters--the audio clarity, soundfield, room design, acoustical design and performance, lighting control, seating, etc. But presumably to get an IMAX theater in your home, you'd be getting a theater-grade IMAX projector and screen in your home, with the ability to show new IMAX film releases. These wouldn't be out on just a Blu-Ray. I don't know the specs of what this would entail, but it could even be analog, exceeding 1080p resolution, like CRT did.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

I know the IMAX in the home is starting at 4K resolutions and going up from there. In Pittsburgh, we have 4 or 5 iMAX screens, some flat, some curved and one domed for the real "IMAX" experience at the science center here. I have to say all of them I've been to have been some of the best and clearest images I've seen on anything.

I know IMAX is going for laser light now in all projection systems (new) which will allow for true color represenation. So something like electroluminescense and neon can actually be produced correct and give you the full color gamut that has yet to be produced. Along with that they are now going with dual projection systems as a standard. I think they are really trying to push forward and I like it.

For the home... you can get the same quality if not better if you want to spend the money. It's all about putting the right technologies together to make the full experience worth while. Something like Redray will produce almost the same (if not more than) what IMAX can do and it's a fraction of the price. Course on this IMAX experience they are doing everything for you video, audio, room, seating, A/C, etc. So..... little tough to say whether they are really expensive or right on par.
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Pretty cool but I have to agree if you have a $2m budget I'm pretty sure you could have a pretty damn good 4kres custom theatre room built. Heck even for $1m!!

If I had the means I'd likely still be going the custom route me thinks...
                    Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Sounds like they are more or less building a professional theater on your property where you even have licenses to charge fee's and get new theater releases on day one of their release? You can't do that by building it your self........A building that large with all the infrastructure, projection, screens, audio and all that would likely cost upwards of 2 million anyways.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Sounds like you're right about that, Dougie.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"