X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Circuit City files for chapter 11 bankruptcy

This was reported today on the Bloomberg.com site. There is a Circuit City store in my home town ( they call it The Source ) but it is a joke. It replaced a Radio Shack and both were housed in a tiny, overcrowded location in the mall. If it goes under here, it won't be missed. I don't klnow if the larger stores elsewhere in the US and Canada will or will not be missed.

The reason ? Too much competition from Best Buy , WalMart, etc.

Time are tough and getting tougher.
    My Homepage!
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

I've never shopped at a Circuit City store or on their website, so I won't be missing them. I've always been able to find just about anything they have in their stores from other retailers online for the same price or less, enjoy the convenience of having it delivered to my door, and not having to pay 8.375% New York State and City tax.

Comment

• greenhorn
      • Feb 2007

I used to really like Circuit City years ago, then something changed and it wasn't the same for some reason... And this was beofre the employee purge they had a few yesrs ago.

I would go on Tuesday for a new release and they wouldn't have any, all sold out. Go to Best Buy and they would have a 100. They also went away from offering new artist CD's for $5.99 - $8.99. The whole feel of the store changed at some point, again this was years ago. They used to be my go to store for stuff back then.

Still sad to see it go this way for them. Many people hold some distain for the "Big Box" stores, but for DVD's and CD I'd rather go there than Walmart or Target.

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by greenhorn
        I used to really like Circuit City years ago, then something changed and it wasn't the same for some reason..
        They always sucked :M
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I honestly don't think Best Buy or Circuit City are much competition for other places like Sears and what not. Granted Sears doesn't have as vast of a selection of electronics but their employees actually care about helping you because they are on commission. I've heard that something like half of the Circuit City's are going to be closing. I guess sort of like K-Mart. So I may have to go by one that's closing to look for a special deal

On another note I used to work at CompUSA before they closed and the same sort of thing happened. They used to be commission based and had tons of great sales people. Well they got a new CEO and he decided they should switch to hourly with spiffs that were a complete joke. All the commission employee's took the little package they offered and left. After that their sales and customer service went way way down and look at them now. Bought out by Tiger Direct and turned into an internet only company which still hardly gets any business.

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
            I honestly don't think Best Buy or Circuit City are much competition for other places like Sears and what not. Granted Sears doesn't have as vast of a selection of electronics but their employees actually care about helping you because they are on commission. I've heard that something like half of the Circuit City's are going to be closing. I guess sort of like K-Mart. So I may have to go by one that's closing to look for a special deal

On another note I used to work at CompUSA before they closed and the same sort of thing happened. They used to be commission based and had tons of great sales people. Well they got a new CEO and he decided they should switch to hourly with spiffs that were a complete joke. All the commission employee's took the little package they offered and left. After that their sales and customer service went way way down and look at them now. Bought out by Tiger Direct and turned into an internet only company which still hardly gets any business.
            No deals at CC for now. They're just closing 155 stores and moving inventory. If the go completely under you'll probably see some liquidation sales. From what I read, they owe HP and Samsung well over $100M each. They're hoping Chapter 11 will get them through the holidays, but holiday sales don't look that promising this year, so they probably won't survive.
            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Yeah we'll see.

Comment

• krips
                • Sep 2007

I won't miss the source if it leaves this town. It's far too expensive to shop at and carries garbage anyway.
                Sharp LC-42D64U
                TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"