X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

What's your excuse?

OK, I am in Tokyo and can only get online every few days at our site office, so I am not posting much. But where the heek is everyone else? 1 thread moved in the last 5 days?

BB
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Not long ago, HT Guide was "down" for a couple of days due to a server move. The server move may have helped some folks get quicker access, but it seems to have thrown up roadblocks for others (as Lex predicted it would in his announcement prior to the server move).

During that time, some folks emailed me or sent private messages on other forums complaining about the difficulty of logging in here. They got error messages when they try to access the site. (Actually, I've had that problem intermittently during the past week, too, well after the move.) Kevin P posted some access work-around tips on another site (for accessing this one) that I passed on to the ones who wrote me, but I would think those shouldn't be necessary by now.

It seems to be a fact of life that people do things according to a routine, (like coming to our favorite HT site on a regular basis), but when their routine faces obstacles, (such as getting error messages instead of getting access to the site), and the routine changes, (they start doing other things instead of even trying to access the site), it can be difficult to get them to come back.

So please keep posting and hopefully you'll see others doing more of the same as the word gets out that HT Guide is back "up" and with a bit of persistence, it is possible to get logged in here and participate.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

Yep, I think the hiccup caused a little separation but all should be good now.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I was locked out for nearly 3 weeks. I eventually learned it was my router that was causing the problem. Now I can't use the router at all which has caused a problem for my wife when she wants to use the internet on her computer the same time as I am using mine.

I really don't understand why the router is the problem. Yesterday afternoon I reconnected the router and set the reset button and everything was good to go. I visited HT Guide, did a post or two and then shut the computer down. But later in the evening when I tried to access the site again, I couldn't until I disconnected the router. A real pain in the ass.

I do wonder if there are many ( less hardcore ht guide members) out there who still can't access the site, and haven't bothered to find a way to get reconnected. Hope not as the membership was really going good.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Granted the outtage probably did cause some difficulties with "attendance" but I've noticed a slow down at a competing A/V forum as well. Very strange... :?

Maybe there's so much info on all these forums and so many members that we've already answered all of eachother's questions...? 8O The odd "newbie" comes on to ask something or someone buys something out of the norm and we fix them up and send them on their way.... Then they're gone forever..... :LOL:

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• Robbie
            • Aug 2000

I know in my case I just don't get the serf time I used to. I try to get here once or twice a week but sometimes it's a couple weeks between visits. Even then I look around and don't post that often. I'm also not looking to purchase anything right now wich also reduces my time on the HT forums.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Robbie

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

I think the forum is back closer to normal now with attendence. Well, as you know I have a cable business as well. It's been way off this month, and I don't know why. Perhaps the two are somehow related. Fact is, it's been off all of fall so far. As it gets colder all across the nation, and beyond, we may see more people turning to their indoor hobbies. I know it turned colder this week here, and boom, I had 3 people that contacted me yesterday on cables.

I think the unseasonably warm fall has kept some people from coming inside for the hobby as much so far.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                I was locked out for nearly 3 weeks. I eventually learned it was my router that was causing the problem. Now I can't use the router at all which has caused a problem for my wife when she wants to use the internet on her computer the same time as I am using mine.

I really don't understand why the router is the problem. Yesterday afternoon I reconnected the router and set the reset button and everything was good to go. I visited HT Guide, did a post or two and then shut the computer down. But later in the evening when I tried to access the site again, I couldn't until I disconnected the router. A real pain in the ass.

I do wonder if there are many ( less hardcore ht guide members) out there who still can't access the site, and haven't bothered to find a way to get reconnected. Hope not as the membership was really going good.
                I also found out while sick at home the last few days that my router at home won't let me on either. (I normally post at work...shhh don't tell my boss ) If I plug my network cable directly to the cable modem, no problem... I have no idea why my router won't let me on...? Does anyone have a solution for this? I'm sure it's a big reason why there's been less users online.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                Jason

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I've been relocating from Texas to Washington (state not D.C.), and getting established in a new career. Now that I have real honest-to-goodness connectivity back, I'll be my normal "chatty" self again - honest.

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                    • Jan 2002

We've been missin' ya David and glad to have you back.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Hey Sonnie, how's things in 'Bammy? It's a bit chilly up here.

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

" It's a bit chilly up here."

Heh, heh. Welcome to the great white North, Tex.

My Homepage!
                        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"