X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glen
    • Dec 2003

Anti-Spam Software for IMAP server

Hey there everyone. After years of having the same email address at work - I'm getting killed with spam messages. I have not found any software I can use on my computer because they all seem to be designed for a POP3 server, but mine comes through an IMAP servor. My headoffice either can not afford - or doesn't want to install any filtering software on the server itself.

Does anyone know of any software that will work on my comuter with an IMAP server. Any help will be much appreciated.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'll see what I can find.

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Mailwasher Pro works with IMAP: http://www.mailwasher.net/
      So does SpamPal: http://www.spampal.org/

I don't have experience with these so I don't know how they work, but I've heard good things about Mailwasher at least. If I come across any more I'll post them.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
      My HT Site

Comment

• Glen
        • Dec 2003

Thank-you very much Kevin for the information. I'll check them both out.

Congrats on the moderator gig. :T

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Glen this might work...

Comment

• Glen
            • Dec 2003

Thank-you Kevin and Andrew.

I downloaded the Mailwasher Pro trial version. It recognized my email right away and imported my address book as a 'friends list' in a couple seconds. It looks like a great program, and most importantly...It Works, It Works, It Works.... {sung off key}.

In the last couple hours I've logged about 150 spams into it and built quit a 'blacklist' of emails to be blocked.

I can not thank you all enough (both here and on TTP) for all your help. This will make life alot easier at work.

:sn :sn :sn :sn

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Sounds great, Glen! Now you can at least regain some sembelance of control over your inbox!

Personally, my favorite anti-spam tool is one of these: :a>'> Well it would be if I actually lived near/knew a spammer! :twisted:

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
              My HT Site

Comment

• AndrewM
                • Oct 2000

This is what I've been using at work, not sure if it has support for IMAP, I can't see why it wouldn't as it filters emails after they "arrive".

edit to add the link - http://spambayes.sourceforge.net
                Since installing it and "training" it I haven't had a single legit email make it into a spam folder, and I get maybe 1 or 2 spam messages a week make it into my inbox (this is compared to the 200-300 spam messages I get a day out of probably 500-600 total emails a day).

Andrew
                Last edited by AndrewM; 27 April 2004, 17:28 Tuesday.

Comment

• Glen
                  • Dec 2003

Since I installed it I've received 10538 emails. Of that, 260 were legitimate emails for me. The mailwasher is getting better everyday at filtering out the garbage. I have to look at maybe 20 a day to manually filter them out. That's compared to about 200-300 a day before I installed it.

I couldn't be happier. :dance:

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

Wow, that's a serious amount of spam. Have you considered discarding that address and starting a new one? Sometimes that's the best bet if you're getting that much junk.

If it's a work address and you know the people who administrate the email server, maybe you could talk them into putting some filters on the server side. Even something as simple as blocking Asian or Chinese IP rangess (if you don't send/receive legitimate mail from these regions) is better than nothing.

Comment

• Glen
                      • Dec 2003

Its my work email that hundreds of my contacts have ( too many for me to notify if I change my email address. I've had it for years, long before I'd ever heard of spam ). I really am happy with the software though. It's doing a great job of identifying the garbage and getting rid of it. The #'s come from the stats hat he program keeps for reference.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"