X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Audio Perfectionist goes to print

For those of you that have read the Audio Perfectionist Journals and want to further your education, the journal is going to go from a internet offering to a printed quarterly. It will continue to be free of the influence of ads and free loaner equipment.
    If you haven't ever read the eight internet journals you should consider checking them out. I know from personal experience that Richard's advice can save you a lot of money and needless trial and error in setting up your music/movie system.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Bob, thanks for the heads-up. I'm always on the lookout for a new source of good information. At first glance, this does look interesting.

P.S. I LOVE the Watchdog column!! 8)

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Thanks for the "heads up".

The Audio Perfectionist says it doesn't accept advertising and is therefore "reader supported". But despite not being beholden to advertisers, and being written by someone who has been around in the business for a long time, (so it does contain some useful info), it is still basically a showcase for one man's opinion, not stone tablets engraved by god. (And even the "eternal truths" on stone tablets are subject to further analysis and interpretation.) :>) Worth checking out, but IMO, like any publication, just one of a number of interesting reads out there, despite its self-proclaimed mantle of "truth". (The Audio Perfectionist's author does seem to have a few axes to grind.)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

Of course it is one man's opinion but, based on years of research and trial and error. It is unfortunate that Richard's anger at audio magazines, and what he perceives as audio gear that doesn't deliver for the prices asked, comes across so badly in his writing. Not that his anger isn't justified but, he forgets that most the people reading his journals don't know his history and the history of the audio hobby.
        His writings are audio truth though. None of it is just opinions, all of his suggestions will work just the way he says they will and all of his writings are based on real world experience. That doesn't mean his way is the only way, and the equipment he recommends is the only equipment to own. You may find none of his suggestions work as well as whatever you are already doing but, they will work exactly as he claims. I have been to his house, and not only does his audio system sound better than any I have heard at any other home, it sounds better than any I have heard in any showroom, save one. That is saying a lot since it is not a expensive high end system and it is in a normal living room. Not in a specially shaped golden ratio room with expensive treatments. He did treat his room but, the treatment is explained in one of his journals, it is not expensive, and it looks great.
        By the way, in person he is a very quiet guy and very open minded. His journals are only a starting point to help you avoid some of the pitfalls that we have all stumbeled into. Think of them as similar to the suggestions a speaker manufacturer gives you for speaker placement, just a starting point to be further manipulated to your liking.

Comment

• Steve Goff
          • Feb 2002

The notion that Hardesty's "writings are audio truth, " rather than opinion, is--if you'll excuse my bluntness--nonsense. Sometimes I agree with his opinions, but they are just that. And he is so set in his opinions that he often refuses to explore whether anyone else has a better way, as when he refused to listen to Tom Holman's 10.2 system.

Steve Goff
          Steve Goff

Comment

• sfdoddsy
            • Sep 2000

I'd also agree that Hardesty seems to have very set biases, such as his belief that only time coherent speakers using a first order crossovers can sound good.

Like most of us, he believes he is right. Like most of us, that doesn't mean he actually is.

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
            Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

But he IS interesting, isn't he.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• John Styrnol
                • Nov 2002

How can I get a hold of these journals?

John

My Home Theater
                My Home Page
                John

My Home Theater
                My Home Page

Comment

• Bob
                  • Jul 2000

audioperfectionist.com/
                  Sorry, so many seem to feel his writings aren't benificial. It is expected though. If my only familiarity with his beliefs was through his writings in Widescreen Reveiw and a cursury glance at his internet ramblings I would feel the same. But, I have seen and heard for myself what he has achieved in his home, and I can demonstrate in my home what his advice can acheive. When I say his advice is audio truth I am comming from a perspective of having sucessfully putting it to work. His description of speaker placement and what it will achieve works as described, hence audio truth. His description of how he treated his home acoustically and yet blended it into the livingroom and what it achieves works exactly as described, hence audio truth. His description of using subs to improve the midrange of your speakers works as described, hence audio truth. Anybody who has speant much time in this hobby has quickly discovered that expensive speakers doesn't mean best speakers, same for cables, etc. So, there shouldn't be any surprise when he maps out some of the reasons speakers cost so much despite their poor performance. Are there other methods of placeing your speakers, improving room acoustics, criteria for finding the best speakers for your taste? Of course, but using his journals is a good starting point, especially for someone that doesn't want to spend a lot of money and time experimenting.
                  I have nothing to gain from touting Richard Hardesty but, many of the questions that are asked over and over in these forums are answered in is journals. His methods would be more controversial if people that tried them stated they didn't work. So far I haven't ran accross this, what I do run accross is "they don't jive with what I have come to beleive therefore they can't be worthwhile or truthfull."

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Bob, if you have a respect for his work, that's good enough for me, to trust there would be some good reading there. Perhaps soon I will have a chance to read some myself.

Thanks for sharing it Bob,
                    Lex
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"