• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Happy New Year, HT Guide!

Happy New Year 2008, all!

So 2007 brought us HDMI 1.3, with a new capability to stream the new high bitrate audio formats of Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio, etc, completely digital and uncompressed to a decoding processor.

We saw a big explosion of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, with both formats releasing many new discs and really getting solidified. Perhaps most notably, we have NOT seen a final winner yet in the format war!

The PS3 has come out with some amazing updates, new games, and capabilities. Not to be outdone, the XBox 360 now has some new editions, using HDMI and HD-DVD drives.

1080p front projectors have really exploded this year, with prices plummeting, and many new models hitting the market. I think it's pretty sure this will continue into 2008. Similarly, 2007 saw more big gains for flat panel televisions. And we now have 120Hz technology in displays!

So... what's around the corner for 2008?

(I resolve to finish unpacking my house and clean out my theater to be fully setup and functional)
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D

So... what's around the corner for 2008?
    Although I don't expect to see the hi-def war end between Toshiba and Sony, I do see player prices coming down for the Bluray camp and this could help get this format into the mainstream . There's still a lot of confusion out there by Joe6 Pack. Some are renting Bluray when they should be renting HD DVD and vice versa. Some are buying hi-def software thinking they can play it on their standard dvd players, etc. The whole thing was a total mess created by two greedy electronic giants. Hopefully the studios won't give up on us and continue to provide the titles we want, even though we have to have two players ( or a buggy dual ) in our system in order to see them.

I'll join Chris in wishing everyone here a Happy New Year.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Happy New Year, All!
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Yep, Happy New Year everyone! May 2008 be a safe, pleasant, positive and fun year for you. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Dean McManis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • May 2003

Happy New Year everyone.

Comment

• H.Donald
            • Aug 2004

Happy New Year to all...may it be one of peace and happiness,oh....and new toys for all.

I finally entered the world of HDMI...upconverting is a good thing,1080i is a really good thing,and 1080P is an amazing thing.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"