X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Directionality of video switching

I am getting a PJ soon, and have a single component source (DVD) and will at that point have 2 destinations for component (TV, PJ). My pre/pro (outlaw 950) has 2 component inputs and only 1 output.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if there was anything in the switching circuitry that was direction dependent? Or could I hook up my DVD player to the output on the pre, and hook my PJ and TV to the inputs, and use selection of those "sources" to switch the ouput between displays?

I am guessing this will NOT work, that it would at the least degrade the signal somehow, and at worst, back feed some circuit elements (like diodes) in some way that might be harmful.

Then again, isn't a video signal sort of AC in nature so why would it?

Wiser minds please comment.

BB
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Feeding a receiver's or pre-pro's video switch backwards would not work, as the signal is buffered (basically passing through a pre-amp of sorts). Now if you use a mechanical signal switcher (like the ones you get at Radio Shack) that should work just fine, since they're just switches, no buffering or amplification is taking place.

So in short, if switching mechanically, it'll work, if electronically, it won't.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"