X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robbie
    • Aug 2000

Some Help Please

OK Folks,

Ran into a problem and need some help/ideas. I noticed that the convergence seemed to have gotten out of wack a little around the edges. I have a Hitachi 43"WS which doesn't have a user friendly convergence adjustment and the auto focus didn't cure the problem.

However, while looking at the TV while listening to some tunes I noticed the top of the TV seemed to sag slightly. Got out the straight edge and did some measurements and sure enough the top was bowed from the weight of the center channel speaker. 8O It appears it was warping the screen causing the convergence problem. I guess this is what we pay for for getting low cost HDTVs. I've removed the speaker and am hoping the top will relax back to it's straight shape.

Now the question, does anyone have some ideas for mounting placing the center channel speaker so the TV isn't supporting it. I've got some ideas but am looking to see what others are doing. It must be SO compatable.

Thanx

Robbie
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Robbie,

Here's a couple ideas for you:

This is what it looks like:

Or if you need something to handle a heavier center:

I'm sure you could paint the rack to colour match your surroundings.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

can you suspend it from the ceiling? You might also try spreading the weight of the speaker out over a larger area with a peice of wood that's large enough to cover the entire top of the TV though this may still nto be enough depending on the area and strenght of the TV in which case one of Joey's solutions or suspending it from the ceiling would be a workable solution

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Dang, Andrew got my suggestion, lol. Chain it to the ceiling. Don't sweat the fact it was a lower end HDTV, hey, it is HD. I sure hope it goes back to normal. Fact is, most are made fairly similar in this regard.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Robbie
          • Aug 2000

Paul,

Interesting idea, I'll give it some thought. It would take some of the weight off the TV.

Andrew,

Placing a board across the top to distribute the weight was the idea I was thinking of.

Lex,

If I were to chain it from the ceiling I think my wife would chain me to the ceiling. Yea Lex, I wasn't saying it was my cheap TV just saying all low end (if you want to call em that) plastic housed RPTVs are probibly all the same. Maybe thats why the tops are so narrow (although the Hitachi is about 4" wide enough for stable speaker placement.

Robbie

Now if I could only afford that Dish 6000

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Guys, suspending it from the ceiling will hurt sonic performance. When you spike a speaker to the concrete, you are anchoring it to minimize movement/vibration of the enclosure as a result of the movement of the speaker cones/magnets. If you hang the center channel, the whole unit will move in response to the movement of the cones/magnets - basically giving you a "muddier" or less clear sound (at least). :?

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

You could use 20 lbs clear fishing line to hang the speaker so it wouldn't be visible.

David if you made the guide wires come to the speaker from an angle wouldn't that greatly reduce the movement of the box? Plus you could always run lines from from the bottom to the floor etc to help minimize the movement further. Of course you could do a combination of the two and still keep in on the TV but use some guide lines to help take some of the weight off but still leave it sitting on top of the TV...

Comment

• Robbie
                • Aug 2000

Andrew

I've pretty much dismissed the hanging idea. I think I'm going with the board across the top to distribute the weight towards the outside of the of the TV. It's the least awkward and intrusive.

Thanks

Robbie

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"