Loreena Bobbitt takes a wack at Austin Powers 3!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Loreena Bobbitt takes a wack at Austin Powers 3!

'Austin Powers 3' trailer pulled over dispute
    By JAM! Movies

Austin Powers may have his "Goldmember" cut off.

Variety reports New Line Cinema has taken down its online promos for "Austin Powers: Goldmember" after the Motion Picture Association Of America deemed the film's title "inadmissable."

The decision was taken after MGM and United Artists objected to the title's parody of the James Bond film "Goldfinger." New Line plans to appeal the decision, Variety said.

It's a curious decision, because the second Austin Powers film, "The Spy Who Shagged Me," was similarly a parody of the Bond film "The Spy Who Loved Me," and New Line was allowed to use the title, despite protestations from keepers of the Bond franchise.

New Line officials told Variety the rejection of the film's title was in fact a "procedural infraction" between the studio and the MPAA, and added "We find it unproductive and will not tolerate any deliberate attempts to manipulate the facts in the press to further aggravate this matter."

MGM officials told Variety that the studio and producers Danjaq have a "zero tolerance" policy towards use of the Bond franchise. But the right to parody has previously been viewed as "fair use" by the U.S. Supreme Court.

New Line could fight the case on fair-use grounds, but it would halt any attempt to market the film under that title while the matter is before the courts.

That might mean the film would require a new title. "Goldmember" is the name of one of four characters that star Mike Myers plays in the film, Variety said

• George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Awww for cryin' out loud. :evil:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• GregoriusM
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2000

I don't know, guys! Let's not be hasty!

More than once I mistook Austin for James in the first two movies! :roll:
      Gregor

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

And its not like The spy who shagged me was an original title either? Why let them do it once but not again?

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"