X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Movies and Television, a few changes are coming

The tragedy of September 11, 2001 in NY, and at the Pentegon, are producing a few changes in what movies we are going to be seeing for example, and as well, some television productions.

1. Arnold's latest movie surrounding a terrorist story is put on hold indefinitely.
    2. Law and Order Television special with similar events was cancelled
    3. This is not a matter for Letterman/Leno type humor, and that won't happen, not even poking fun at Bush.

Anything that displays terrorism in any form or fashon will not be shown. Anything that blows up a building, or otherwise demolishes a building, will not be shown any time soon.

Those are just 3 examples. now, I realize, this could be somewhat of a controversial topic, and there will be differing opinions about whether this is right or wrong. But for the immediate future, we might as well accept these things as fact. Someday, indeed, there will likely be a movie made about the tragedy. Just as there have been movies made about Pearl Harbor, WW2 in general, Vietnam, the Hendenburg, just about any world tragedy that has changed lives, perceptions, have all been published. But this won't be for a very long time. The wounds are far to deep for people to hunger to relive this tragedy, likely, in many of our lifetimes.

An example of a personal favorite film from our generation that just won't fly, is True Lies. Even though, you know recently, I watched that movie. Why? I wanted to see some terrorist sons' o bitches get their asses kicked!

I think maybe at some point, not to far off, Hollywood and the American public will be ready to see movies such as True Lies, that in the end portray terrorists as the loosers they are and always will be.

But in the meantime, I think we should be prepared for love stories, comedies, maybe some gangster type stuff, that sort of thing. But world terror movies, will fall by the wayside for some time to come.

I ask that you address this topic with respect for the other members, and their feelings on this, whatever they may be.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

So woudl you say you are in favor of studio's editing things like the into to soprano's b/c it shows the WTC's or editing out the same towers from the upcoming spiderman movie? I'm not sure I agree with removing them at this point but I can see why people would want them removed. Personally I'd rather not hide from it and let other people censor what I see (even if they have a good reason in this case).

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Andrew, I tried to present the topic in unbiased form, testing the responses from our members, to see just how people feel about this.

I picked up on this story from ABC News tonight, and wanted to pass along what I learned. I really can't form to much of an opinion at this point. I fully understand, how people can feel, the closer to home this hits. the real tragedy is, this has hit close to home for all of us really. Yes, in a sense, it's censorship, but it's censorship out of compassion, and respect for all of America. Not quite the same as government stepping in to remove controversial books from our libraries, that sort of thing. As I said, I didn't really state approval or disapproval. Just a presentation of the facts, like a good journalistic reporter might do.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I'll have to agree with Lex. The fact is, the networks and Hollywood, do not want to come across as insensitive. So they will do what they can to 'shield' the public from disaster type films, or terrorist themed productions. This will mean pulling or banning certain movies from being shown on network TV or being available for rent. In fact I've read that in a couple of situation songs are being banned from air play on certain radio stations. This has happened and is going to happen.

On Andrew's point about editing out the WTC in some programing, be they TV or movies. I totally disagree with the tampering of those images. Maybe I'm dense, or maybe I'm not sympathetic enough, but I don't see the purpose of altering these images. If you're going to alter the image, you better deal with them in the story line. For those that might want to harp about continuity errors, what if there was no terrorist attack? How about that? It's not like what we watch on TV or in the movies is real life.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

It's not like what we watch on TV or in the movies is real life
          After watching those planes hit the WTC's I wish this were true.

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

Sort of on topic is that while the WTC is shown in the Spiderman trailer it isn't actually part of the movie itself and won't require any editing of the movie, just the trailer.
            As to Arnold's movie, Collateral Damage, the reason it is being pulled is more than just that it involves a terrorist bombing. In the movie all American government officials, especially the CIA, are depicted either as idiots or evil. The terrorist are portrayed as victims of circumstance, all which came out of the director's very biased veiw of the American government and military. Since the filming took place during the election there were many heated but friendly arguements about this between the people with similar veiwpoints as Andy Davis, which was all but 3 people, and the 3 people that didn't think the intelligence community or the military were made up of evil people. The 3 in opposition were Arnold, the cameraman, and myself.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

It seems lately that too many action films were depending on terrorists as their plot bad guys.I don't think they'll stop making action films altogether, they'll just be a little more careful of what kind of images they show. On the other hand, I do hope this is not a form of censorship. Freedom of speech is an American and Canadian way of life. Out of respect for all those families who have been affected by the recent terrorist attacks, I do feel TV and Hollywood should exercise some degree of sensitivity in the choice of films they make in the near future, but I would rather this be something voluntary rather than a directive from government.
              Hey, perhaps there is a bright side to this. For all of us hardline action nuts, perhaps they'll bring back the good old Western.Also, perhaps writers will take up the challenge and make action movies without a terrorist angle.
              This is just my take on the whole matter.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

The acts of last week are sad and should not be taken lightly. It was an unfortunate wake-up that our U.S.A. are just as vunerable as the next counrty. Many innocent people fell victim to a very pathetic act.

While I agree that we should reserve this time to reflect and deal with these acts, by know means do I believe that we should not continue to exercise the freedoms that make our country the symbol of that very fact.

I honestly have no idea of the time frame, nor is it my postion to try to establish one.

I feel at some point, the indusrty will treat this (as Lex has already stated) as part of our lives that should be told. And it will return to the "normal" way of programming.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• KennyG
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2000

George you beat me to it, I was thinking that perhaps this would be a good time to bring the western back...perhap alittle more sword & sorcery type stuff.
                  I'm all for toning down the exploding buildings and flying bullets...now writters are going to have to actually write good action scripts

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Right on,Kenny. I'd like to see more westerns, sci-fi, and more films like The Tailor Of Panama where you have good writing and acting instead of bullets and explosions all over the place.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"