X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

What Do Friends Think Of Your HT

In most cases,mine are pretty impressed.But once in awhile, someone who hasn't seen my HT setup gives me a strange look like I'm some kind of nut. Of course, I am some kind of nut. But what just about everyone can't understand is why I have a two projector setup ( a crt and lcd ) in my system.I don't bother to explain that my crt is an old workhorse that wouldn't fetch much on the used market, or that I use the crt for 4:3 material and the lcd (which has 16:9 panels) for widescreen.
    Of course, when it comes right down to it,I don't care what they really think. I am always pleased if they are wowed by my system, but if their not, that's okay by me,too.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

So far they've all been pretty amazed that I have "a full blown theater in my house".
    I'd imagine some must think I'm nuts (my wife for one) but, other than my wife I don't care what they think...actually it's the guys that love it, I think the women probably roll their eyes.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

well most of mine think we're nuts to have what we have in an apartment (ok I'll give them that one) but I think most are impressed...esp once they hear what music should sound like.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Friends? Who needs em, there's only 1 sweet spot anyway, and I think we know who's sitting there, haha.

Seriously though, I am more the loner type. I do my thing, and well, if the rest of the world cares, great, if they don't, well, I ain't a loosin no sleep. Once my Dad sat and watched Goldeneye with me. He's hard of hearing, but kept saying it doesn't have to be this loud for me! lol. But he enjoyed the flick.

One friend I showed it too, was so enamored with DVD, that he ordered a player from 800.com the next night at my house, lol. He now owns as many DVDs as I do. I still can't get him straightened out on the theater setup, but at least he's watching. Another old friend was just blown away. He simply said, there's your money. No wonder your broke all the time, lol.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Crimson
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

With regards to both of my systems, I get questions like:

"Where are the speakers?" - while thier face is a foot from one.

"Are those speakers?"

And the one that really turns me on is:
          "Where's the sound coming from?"

Q.
          Q.

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
            • Aug 2000

Invariably all conversation involving my HT and friends come down to:

"How much did it cost??"

Of course my reply is always, "Do you really want to know?" If they persist and I tell them they usually end up looking at me like I have a horn growing out of my head. I always counter with, "Your the dumbass that went on a $5 grand vacation!?!!"

I think we could all work minor HT-miracles with $5 grand. I like to have something cool to show for my money.

Ken
            Ken

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Crimson...ah the life of a magnepan owner...fun isn't it

Comment

• Markj
                • Aug 2000

Usually they say, “great huge sound and a crappy little TV”. I am saving up to get the FP that I want.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Mark-
                  We all know it takes time and money to get there.I'd have to say I've been building my system over 15 years. Trouble is, I'm still not satisfied. Woe is me.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Markj
                    • Aug 2000

Now with all of the new developments on digital FPs I am getting excited at the prospect of what can be had. The prices are coming down so I am thinking maybe next year. This year was the Casablanca II upgrade, so my budget is gone.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

You know what's funny, I don't even "show off" my system to local friends, especially people from work, because I think that's what they would think I was doing. With housing costs in the Bay area, an awful lot of my friends and acquaintances from work have tons of money tied up in relatively small, old houses. Not ones that are very amenable to an HT or music setup (not that I let that stop me).

The other side is, regrettably, the spousal acceptance factor; anything beyond an entertainment wall unit (that preferably can be covered up- i.e., doors that close when not in use) is not favored. Bose satelite systems are popular, and yes, they do sound like cr*p.

A few folks at work have seen the X1's (and wonder why I haven't been institutionalized yet); some with some real interest have been referred to products like Avalon speakers, and Ayre electronics, and have come away slack jawed in a few cases. One of my co-workers originally based out of Singapore, and now moving to Munich, found an Avalon dealer in Singapore; even his wife wants a set of the speakers- they truly blew away everything else they heard, including B&W. In his last visit to SF a month ago, his #1 priority was to find a Bay area dealer to go listen at on Saturday.

So I wonder, what motivates us to do these things, while others are happy with their 27" or 32" TV's, and a mass market stereo running two channels from the AV output of their TV? It just comes down to priorities, I think, and what really grabs you. Plus, if I couldn't build some of this stuff, the interest might be less, and the means *certainly* would be.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
                        • Aug 2000

Markj - I'm with you in the brotherhood of crappy TV's (32" ProScan).

Ken
                        Ken

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"