X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Do You Buy Used DVDs ?

Now that rentals are catching on for dvd, I have been noticing quite a few new releases becoming available as previously viewed (or used) titles. There have been some new releases that I passed on ( I'm becoming more fussy these days) and because they were aavailable at half the original price as a previously viewed title, I bought them. So far I bought a half dozen or so. And though I was expecting trouble with one or more of these used puppies, surprisingly, there were no problems with the disks. Have any of you been buying used dvds?

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

George, I have bought previously viewed DVD's form our local family video and not had any functional problems with them. There was one that I was to purchase that was scuffed up pretty good, but the CS girl exchanged it with one off the rental rack that was in better condition.

Cosmetically, I don't like how they write in the clear portion of the centre hub "Family Video" with an indelable marker. I will clean this off the best I can, but one time some cleaning fluid got inbetween the layers of the DVD laminate. I tried inserting a corner of a sheet of paper in to absorb the fluid. The paper got real wet and parts of it tore off, lodging it self inbetween the laminates. I eventually was able to dry it off and get most of the paper out. I swore that I would never buy these again for it was not worth the hassle, but soon found myself buying a couple of them again.

One issue that I refuse to buy on is if the DVD comes in a Snapper case and if the "Family Video" sticker will not come off with out damaging the case art. I just hate that, maybe some day that will not bother me, but right now it does.

So Yes, I will buy Previewed DVD's if it makes sense.

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

From looking at my collection, I don't think I've bought a used dvd, yet. Was almost going to buy a couple last week, but when I openned it up, it was scuffed pretty bad, so I passed.

I have seen some pretty good deals lately, so I think it will be a mater of time before I do add some used dvds to my collection.

The one problem I have is how some of the bigger chains are pricing there PV dvds. Most I see at Rogers are C$20, which I think is a bit pricey, if it were more like $15 or $10, I'd be more inclined to buy.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• John Kotches
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I've picked up a few from Blockbuster....

Half price for previously viewed is worth it to me

Regards,

---
        Editor, PC/Home Theater
        Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
        My Home Theater
        NEC LT-150 specific page.
        ---
        Editor, PC/Home Theater
        Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
        My Home Theater
        NEC LT-150 specific page.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

I bought some at first, but then found myself buying marginal movies, and basically getting burned. So, I cruise the used section occasionally for that Jewel in the rough. But rarely do I see one I want. I am however going to unload some clunkers soon down at this store that buys anything with a label on it, lol.

Of course, you don't get much, but something is better than gathering dust.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I've bought a few from blockbuster..prices can be cheaper then rogers and they usually have enough that I just request one thats not scuffed...so far I've yet to have a problem. of course on some titles (warner) the prices may not be that much off retail so I generall pass on those but for some its quite a savings.

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I have picked up a few from BB as well. I tend to wait until they are 10 or 12 dollars. I have had no problems with the disc.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Here Blockbuster tries to get $19.95 for PV titles, but I've noticed lately that most of their PV titles are now selling at $14.00, which to me is a bargain as long as the disk is in good shape.I,too, usually pass on Warner and MGM titles, as they are already low priced new.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
                  • Aug 2000

Being the king of chipped, scratched, and dented I find the wife and I always looking for a decent deal on a PV DVD. We've purchased them from Amazon, Ebay, Hasting's, Blockbuster, and the AAFES PX.

I've been nothing but happy with all the purchases so far (we've yet to get burned; knock on wood). I'd say of just over 100 DVD's, almost half were purchased used.

Ken
                  Ken

Comment

• KennyG
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Sep 2000

Jeez Ken, as I started to read your post I thought you found your wife chipped, scratched and dented!
                    I have not bought a used title yet, I'm such a stickler about taking care of these things I'm not sure I can handle owning a scratched up disc. (comes from my days of LPs)

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"