• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Parasound HCA-2205a In the Rack

Hi!,

I had been auditioning the Parasound HCA 2205a (5ch X 220 watts) 5 channel amplifier. I now have decided to keep it as a permenent workhorse in my system.

I have it configured in such a way that the Parasound amp has two channels dedicated to driving each of my Paradigm Studio 100 speakers. So that is 2 channels at 220 watts each to drive each speaker.(Bi-amp configuration) A total of 4 channels and 880 watts to drive the pair. The last channel of the Parasound is now driving the center CC to keep my front soundstage tonally accurate. This configuration leaves the Denon 5800 to drive only the 4 ADP's for the rear surround feild in my E/X set-up which has sonically improved this area as the Denon does not have to stress its entire power supply...

This kind of power from the Parasound Bi-amped is exactly what the Studio 100's needed. The 170 watts X 2 of the Denon 5800 was not enough to bring out the potential of these speakers. The Parasound has brought these speakers out of their "SCHELL".
    I would think the Bi-amping,High Current (60 amperes per channel )and power supply of the Parasound most likely make the difference.
    The clarity is incredible. Imaging is excellent. Soundstage is massive. The mid bass really shines on these and has brought them to a new dynamic level.
    Two channel music in Pure direct is astonishing. :E

This is one upgrade that has made a very significant difference to my system.
    'Very pleased' is all I can say at the moment as I did not expect this sort of improvement.

Thanks,

Notice that my RACK is now 6 feet tall.

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Nice post Trev, that's some powerful mains now! It's a beautiful amp as well. Enjoy!

Lex

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Yikes, Trevor! :e

That's quite a rack you've got there! I bet you must not have to worry about sesmic refit's and earthquake proofing where you live- me, I get nervous putting my Aragons in a 3 foot high rack!

Glad to "hear" the Parsound is working out for you- I noticed that beastie while over on their site recently, downloading some manuals for a friend. Not to surprised to hear that the extra amps really opens up your system.

Happy listening.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Trevor Schell
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Thanks guys!,

Jon, No earthquakes here.
        Just the rumble from the SVS's and Servo-15's when the get fired up.

Trevor
        My HomeTheater S.E.
        Sonically Enhanced
        C5
        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• GregoriusM
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2000

Trevor: Don't you think you should change your "signature" from "Sonically Enhanced" to "Sonically Enhancing"?

Just a thought...... ;-)

Awesome setup, by the way!
          Gregor

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

Nice rack!
            You are noticing what everyone with high powered seperates has noticed...there is no substitute for cubic inches!
            I've had top of the line Denon and Yamaha recievers in my system...for about half an hour each...just to see how far recievers have come. Not far enough for users of seperates.
            My mains are powered by a Sumo Andromeda 2b that produces 400 wpc (at the speakers 4 ohm load) As you have found, a reciever just doesn't have the balls.
            The next upgrade in sound is a quality pre/pro, you will again be amazed.

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Nice Trevor!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Robbie
                • Aug 2000

Hmmmmmm.... is my puter hosed???? All I see in the post is a car trunk....

Robbie

Comment

• P-Dub
                  Office Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Naw, I still see the rack, must be a hosed computer. snicker...I think Trev's been having problems uploading some of his pics.

I too see Trev's new trunk. Nothing amazing, I was expecting to see one of his SVS connected up. Looks like he got a nice looking sub box.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                  Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"